New TV -What do i get, 65" -Time for the 20 year Plasma to go!

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Think it's time to replace my 20 year old plasma (purchased at £3600), back then everyone laughed stating it only lasts 9000 hours or whatever it was, plus leaves marks on screen if left on same channel to long, i would have to play the fuzzy no signal b&w screen for hours to remove it....lol

Anyway what out there, i don't game at all and tbh i don't want to spend much as i only watch films in HD or UHD, i just stream it at 720p usually so i'm even questioning upgrading tbh but ive wiped the bloody reflective film off it using some old glass cleaner containing ammonia, so it has a blob (iy=ts ok at night though/not visible). :D

I want to spend around £700, ive had a read about QLED being to harsh on the eyes, seem some PRE black friday, some with Alexa/voice commands etc..

One thing i do know is that i will need a soundbar (i do a full surround sound inc centre speaker/bass etc and 4 speakers) but i never use it, don't like it tbh.

My Plasma had to big fook off speakers and are loud/bassy so no need atm...

Tbh after writing this i'm questioning even upgrading, as if i have standard TV on it just through an aerial, the only gain i suppose is larger size and much better picture when streaming films/series.

I looked at this Samsung but the one with Alexa or whatever is cheaper?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/199...wgPb_DbWqNo3LVPepIxoC-xEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...NNUXx8fl2h_vGaqzu9RoCenkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone buying in the sales or have any advice?

Cheers

My first choice is Oled then Qled then LED.
I own an LG Oled and the blacks on Oled are as good as Plasma.

I had a pioneer plasma and didnt want to get rid but did during lockdown and bought a panny 55 inch oled and im pleased with it. I got it from richersounds cheaper than anywhere else at the time apart from costco but i managed to get them to pricematch costco.

I wish id waited and it got it later and saved abit more cash so if id were you choose what tv you want and wait till the next years tv from your chosen brand is getting released and pick up a bargain on the current years stock.

Yes i also had a Pioneer Kuro with no sound as the speakers were an extra so more money.
I decided i loved the new Sony Bravia oled 4k 55" but the sat tuner was a waste of money as a box is better to find things.
The picture is outstanding and the sonos sound OMG and the tv is android.

Are lg and others locked on for apps?
I do agree Richer Sounds and their warranties are great.
My remote is also used in voice search if on YouTube and dont know what else yet

I did have a yamaha ysp 900 + subwoofer and not liked it
Upgraded to a 7-1 onkyo and 12" sub for heating the big room
You would need to hear what the sound system is like as some are limited in quality.
Also check what connections you might need 3 x hdmi optical/spdif etc

My first choice is Oled then Qled then LED.
I own an LG Oled and the blacks on Oled are as good as Plasma.
Not sure if LG is different to Phillips but my OLED has to refresh the screen at least once a week. Bit annoying when you defer it again and again and it then force refreshes. Only takes about 10 mins but still something they don’t tell you

Nor mine. I've got an LG as well. Had it a year and only once in that time have I seen a pixel refresh message come up on the screen.
Had mine since the last World Cup and mine has never come on. I have screen shift turned on in settings, so I don’t know if that has an affect on pixel refresher.

My advice is to buy from either John Lewis or Richer Sounds to get a far better warranty.

That's where i had it from originally, think it was a 5 year warranty i think it was, i've just been looking on Ebay and they are still selling for £500-£800.
I had the extra long cable as a £170 extra for another 2 foot or something at the time.
Used to LOVE Richer Sounds back in the day, proper old skool shops and a visit there was a day out, i dread to think how much i;ve spent there over the years on Audio, i have 2 sets of speakers not in use tbh, plus a big JBL centre speaker from there.

I don't think i would notice the difference tbh, but then again when i've been into PC World/Curries i have been blown away buy some with their set screens playing in some super high defination.

Yes i also had a Pioneer Kuro with no sound as the speakers were an extra so more money.
I decided i loved the new Sony Bravia oled 4k 55" but the sat tuner was a waste of money as a box is better to find things.
The picture is outstanding and the sonos sound OMG and the tv is android.

Are lg and others locked on for apps?
I do agree Richer Sounds and their warranties are great.
My remote is also used in voice search if on YouTube and dont know what else yet

I did have a yamaha ysp 900 + subwoofer and not liked it
Upgraded to a 7-1 onkyo and 12" sub for heating the big room
You would need to hear what the sound system is like as some are limited in quality.
I have a Yamaha DSP-A590 amp in the cupboard, used to love that thing, upgraded from a Denon when surround sound was getting mainstream.
Also check what connections you might need 3 x hdmi optical/spdif etc

Not sure if LG is different to Phillips but my OLED has to refresh the screen at least once a week. Bit annoying when you defer it again and again and it then force refreshes. Only takes about 10 mins but still something they don’t tell you

Never heard of that, that was a 'thing' with my Plasma 20 years ago, i would watch it after turning off for ant screen retention marks, plus if i vaguely spotted one i would set it to a no signal channel/White noise/static.....

Seriously, unless your a high spec geek with 20/20 vision just get a Hisense. Got 3 in my house one which is 7 years old and they all do a job.
You TV is only as clear as it's source so let's say your main daily use is IPTV, a top end TV is utter pointless. Hisense warranty are good, quality is good, reliability is good.
Some TV's say 8k ...hey ? As if I'm going to watch or even have an 8k source to watch. TV's are always highly overspecced to reel you in thinking it's future proof when at the end of the day it's f##kin TV . I have a 4k TV and I can count on my John Thomas how many times I've watched genuine 4k on it.

Spend a few hundred quid on a half decent Hisense and with the rest have a good weekend away

Well remember when most sources were SD
then most sources moved to HD. Well you get where I’m going with this.
I like to watch 4k hdr movies and 4k content or as high a quality as I can find.
I don’t have 20/20 vision anymore but my glasses give 20/20 or better and I notice poor picture quality straight away on people’s TVs or pub TVs.
Probably just me nitpicking but I have advised a few friends to buy an Oled TV and they have all been impressed and said what an improvement the picture has been from their previous TVs.
Horses for courses I suppose and if picture quality is not an issue, you could buy any TV I suppose.
I would have to have a massive John Thomas, if I counted all 4K movies I had watched. 😉

The moment you buy OLED something else will appear saying this is the future. It's like the toothbrush or sh*troll, how many times can you reinvent it ?. I remember years ago buying a 1080p TV been told it was coming, TV died before 1080p came out. Take the latest iPhone, it rings the emergency services for you when your in that accident.
And as for TV ?, there's f**k all on worth watching anyway

I have had my Oled TV four years now and was after something as good as plasma and imo it is as good.
Obviously you don’t have to buy an 8K TV as there is not much content out there, but there will be eventually.
OLED was invented in 1987 and used in digital cameras.
Then the first OLED TV came out in 2004, so it’s not new technology, far from it. It’s just become cheaper to own and the technology has improved with them.

Last edited:
Also, the reason for the display looking so good on your mobile phone is because it’s probably OLED as most of the top mobile phone manufacturers use OLED displays.

My old phone had an oiled display until it broke

Back