what to look for in an android TV box?

My device runs Android os and on my Google play store the Netflix app is not even available to install.

Ive flashed Androind TV Os to cheap boxes example is the Eachlink box in my signature. Netflix then run at 4k but ive not bothered with Amazon.

Make sure you have a backup of your original firmware or a download of it in case you dont get the outcome you want and have to return it.

it doesnt look like there is many options for flashing this box all i can find is this and it requires a male to male USB which i dont have. Just spent like an hour shifting through my box of cables for one. 😔

If am able to flash it i wont be able to back up the original OS and i dont even know if these images i am finding for it are any different than the one thats already on it.

Xioami box’s run Android tv OS and most smart TVs have the license certificates to run the official 4K apps. I suspect the new box you have does not run on Android tv OS.

it defintilty has android TV as it even says it on the options and as it has the playstore so it has to have android tv.

it doesnt look like there is many options for flashing this box all i can find is this and it requires a male to male USB which i dont have. Just spent like an hour shifting through my box of cables for one. 😔

If am able to flash it i wont be able to back up the original OS and i dont even know if these images i am finding for it are any different than the one thats already on it. Open Android OS has the full Google play store.

it defintilty has android TV as it even says it on the options and as it has the playstore so it has to have android tv.
You need to go into settings and about. This will tell what OS it is running on.
Android TV OS does not have the full Google play store unless the manufacturer has side loaded it. Open Android OS has the full Google play store. Amazon device’s run on an altered version of Android TV OS.

On Amazon the description of your device states that it runs on Android 11 OS. It doesn’t mention Android tv OS

I have had a look on other sites and it clearly states Android 11 os.

On Amazon the description of your device states that it runs on Android 11 OS. It doesn’t mention Android tv OS

I have had a look on other sites and it clearly states Android 11 os.
One of the main reasons i didnt want a fire stick or whateer they are called is cause they are not really android and dont have play store.

This is definitely android tv. Amazon descriptions leave a lot to the imagination. Most of the UI is the exact same as my other android box. the only difference i see is the launcher is different on this.viber_image_2021-12-21_13-16-12-635.jpg

One of the main reasons i didnt want a fire stick or whateer they are called is cause they are not really android and dont have play store.

This is definitely android tv. Amazon descriptions leave a lot to the imagination. Most of the UI is the exact same as my other android box. the only difference i see is the launcher is different on this.View attachment 141314
So now we’ve clarified that you have to check what Widevine security level your device is running
Have a read and this explains the different levels and capability’s. There is an DRM info app that can check Widevine level.
How to check if your Android device supports Widevine DRM

I bet the xiomai box’s have a better Widevine level tbh.

I’ve had a quick look and have read that
xiomai box’s run Google’s Android system which is certified by Google and I suspect the box you have now doesn’t. Definitely think this is the issue imo. Your only option is to flash the firmware, return it or live with it.

Last edited:
So now we’ve clarified that you have to check what Widevine security level your device is running
Have a read and this explains the different levels and capability’s. There is an DRM info app that can check Widevine level.
How to check if your Android device supports Widevine DRM

I bet the xiomai box’s have a better Widevine level tbh.

I’ve had a quick look and have read that
xiomai box’s run Google’s Android system which is certified by Google and I suspect the box you have now doesn’t. Definitely think this is the issue imo. Your only option is to flash the firmware, return it or live with it.
yeah it shows as L3 with that app. Thats not the cause of the issue with amazon as i was able to root the box by creating a male to male USB from 2 Male to micro USB and even after rooting it still shows L3 but amazon works now.

Now I got amazon installed and it works without any issues. I couldnt get the android TV app working I have to side load the standard android app.

hopefully some better ROMS will come out for this soon as this one appears to be the stock app but just rooted.

thanks for the help all.

yeah it shows as L3 with that app. Thats not the cause of the issue with amazon as i was able to root the box by creating a male to male USB from 2 Male to micro USB and even after rooting it still shows L3 but amazon works now.

Now I got amazon installed and it works without any issues. I couldnt get the android TV app working I have to side load the standard android app.

hopefully some better ROMS will come out for this soon as this one appears to be the stock app but just rooted.

thanks for the help all.
Keep an eye on the Slimbox box roms these are really good im just not sure the x4 is supported yet. Sure it will be though.

Looks great for Netflix and that but the chipset is pretty old tech S905X2

The Mecool KM7 is where is want a ATV box to be and surprisingly not a great deal more money on top of the KM2

Not 100% sure on Netfix though

The KM7 has the S905Y4 and is a great device but does not have 4K Netflix and that’s why I posted the KM2.

They also do the Mecool KT1 with built in tv tuner but no 4K Netflix.

Back