What do you make of the idea to scrap 1p and 2p coins?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
Chancellor Philip Hammond decides to save 1p and 2p coins in a U-turn

I don't mind them, I buy most day-to-day things using cash and take a box of them to the bank now and again. I don't take them out to spend though.

If 1p and 2p coins are scrapped sometime in the future, I bet that would make the price granularity 5p. The excuse shops could use to introducing a 5p granularity would be that some people might want to pay in cash and not card. I doubt a £1.99 supermarket item will go down to £1.95 though.

I suspect Hammond was advised people were seeing it as a further step to cashless society.

What happens when you go over by 1p at the petrol pumps 🤔

I'll own up....... I've been throwing them in the bin for years. Sometimes even 5p's!

I rarely carry any anyway but have absolutely no patience for those little turd throwbacks.

Okay...... you can lay into me now :)

If they do we will at last get rid of the £120.99 on petrol pumps

I suppose i can be lucky in buying a coin sorter for euros and every night anything in pockets is thrown in there and after a while it builds up,6 months + waiting for a bag of 1 or 2 cent to fill:mad:

I let all our copper coins accumulate for about a year and then I humph them all to one of those supermarket machines that give 20% of the total to charity and the rest as a voucher to spend in-store.

Got a few jars of them, need to go to one of those supermarket machines soon.. :)

I haven't used them in so long I have to ask the mrs what they look like these days.

I buy 99% of my stuff online, the mrs buys the rest.

I wouldn't miss them, or any cash to be honest.

I never have any money, the kids nick it as soon as I have any.

I used to enjoy putting it all in a jar then taking it to the bank and getting notes back, this was around 20 years ago mind lol....

everything is card now, or phone, or even watch.

Mick

Save them up with 5p & £2 coins till just before Christmas & then take them supermarket machines & normally have between £150-£175 to spend on Christmas food & drink.

Would it be worth it for you to purchase a coin counter and bag your coins,bigger coins i bring to local shop as always need change,other coins to post office to help pay bills.

I just go to the self checkouts in shopping centers like tesco and get rid of all my change that way.

Back