System Keeps Shutting Down Problems ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
My system shuts down totally after an hour or two, i think it might be summit either to do with the power supply or the tempreature, but iam not sure.

I can be sitting playing away at games and then the computer just shuts down totally, no warnings no nuffin.

Then all that happens is the blue neon light that usually indicates the system is switched on flash's on/off every couple of seconds, even pressing the on/off button doesnt do anything, the neon keeps flashing and the pc does nuffin, it stays off, only way i can get it to boot back up like i have now is to pull the power out the back then plug back in, then everything seems ok.

this is all very strange, first time ive seen this happen on my system, i dunno whats going on ??

Can someone whos in the know please give help ?

when you remove the PSU 20 pin cable, you did not accidentaly move the memory stick or the cpu area? just check to make sure

This is where iam at now, iam typing this message from an old shltty computer i had liying in the room as my main computer wont even boot up at all now :(, when i press the power on button it kicks into life for about split second then nuffin, just the blue neon light on the power button flashing on/off every few seconds, so i guess now whatever was wrong has just totally quit....

So, I ripped out the power pack and hopefully will get new one tommora to see if thats what the fault is, i noticed on the main plug that plugs into the motherboard from the psu, the 20 pin one, i noticed that 3 of the pins on that were browny kinda burnt lookin, they are at the end of the plug thingy, 1 has a brown & orange wire going into it, the other 2 have orange wires going into them, anyone know if its a big deal or means anything that these pins are kinda brown n burnt lookin ??? I closley looked at the motherboard where that plug go's in but theres no sign of anything burnt there at those pins.

Iam now only hoping & praying that a new power supply will be the answer.

Talking about psu's, the one that was in it has a maximum output of 250w, do you guys think I should get one a little more powerfull, if so, what do you'z recommend and is it safe enough to put a higher output one in it ??
Plus, iam trying to keep the cost down as low as possible, so dont suggest me getting mad expensive psu's cause ive not got the pennies just now to be splashing out large cash, lol.

Appreciate any help/advice a.s.a.p as i will probably go out tommora to buy the psu.
:santa:

don't know if this is too late for you m8 but world of computers in kingston street in glasgow have plenty of unbranded psu's that are cheap
http://www.e-woc.co.uk/displayproduct.aspx?which=94

Thanks for that mate, but i think it might be too late :(, she went out earlier and i told her to pickup one from creative computing on pollockshaws road, thats a real pity man, the ones in creative will cost me between about 15 -20quid depending on what one, but i must admit, nearly always anything you get in creative is good quality shlt, but yes, in that site you just posted those prices are amazing :), ive actually been in that shop years ago and bought some stuff, but i could never find thier website again after that, so i thought they might have shut up shop, so now i know they havent, thanks very much for posting that site mate, i shall add it to my fav's :)

hey why dont you buy yourself PC Diagnostic POST CARD. there cost around 5 to 10 pounds on ebay, depend on which version you buy. it will take out your guessing and worrying and time wasting to which part of hardware is faulty

Have you tried your PSU in your old computer just to make sure its your PSU and not your motherboard?

Too late mate, ive got the new psu now, thanks anyways.

hey why dont you buy yourself PC Diagnostic POST CARD. there cost around 5 to 10 pounds on ebay, depend on which version you buy. it will take out your guessing and worrying and time wasting to which part of hardware is faulty
Whats this pc diag post card you speak of mate, please tell us more, ive never heard of it, links to it etc would be handy too.
-------------------------------
Anyway, heres where iam at now, I got a super dooper psu today, its this one >>> http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14996
I stuck it in and hey presto !! the computer booted up :), but iam not counting my turkeys before they'r cooked, LOL, remember the pc was booting up a few days ago and then suddenly shutting down at random times, so iam not out of the woods yet, maybe after its been running for 6 hours or so i guess it will be ok, but for now ive still got my fingers crossed..

Thanks to everyone in this thread that suggested a new psu, even if it still fecks up i needed a better psu anyway as the one i had was only 240w or summit like that.

Can someone tell me what the big huge fans for on the psu i just bought, is that purley to cool the psu or is that cooling the system too ??

:santa:

just go to ebay website and in search type PC Diagnostic POST CARD. you connect it in pci slot and switch the pc on..keep your eye on the post card. because you will see number and letters changing. where ever it stop, example 2F. look in the booklet that come with it, it might say faulty MB and so an so. different number and letters for different faults

just go to ebay website and in search type PC Diagnostic POST CARD. you connect it in pci slot and switch the pc on..keep your eye on the post card. because you will see number and letters changing. where ever it stop, example 2F. look in the booklet that come with it, it might say faulty MB and so an so. different number and letters for different faults
sounds great mate, but you would think nowdays there would be software that detects a fault, eh ?? maybe this post card thingy is what they use in pc repair shops etc to quicky diagnose things ?

sounds great mate, but you would think nowdays there would be software that detects a fault, eh ?? maybe this post card thingy is what they use in pc repair shops etc to quicky diagnose things ?
i see those post card things your on about now mate, does anyone have any experience of using these things, are they accurate, crap or what, please tell, cheers ???

you seem to be ignoring your earlier diagnostic where your system logs point to a failing graphics card or graphics drivers as being the culprit, but you are / have gone for a replacement PSU ?

Have you tried to remove the graphics card and run from the on-board VGA socket (if it has one) or even a swapped graphics card ?

An earlier post from you said:
"ok, i waited on it shutting down and then switched back on straight away and checked in computer managment like u suggested, it showed 3 errors, all named source "ATi2mtag" which i believe is the graphics card/driver, eh ??? when i click on them it gives descriptions - CPLIB ::initialization - failed to load the library and the other says I2c return failed. "

you seem to be ignoring your earlier diagnostic where your system logs point to a failing graphics card or graphics drivers as being the culprit, but you are / have gone for a replacement PSU ?

Have you tried to remove the graphics card and run from the on-board VGA socket (if it has one) or even a swapped graphics card ?

An earlier post from you said:
"ok, i waited on it shutting down and then switched back on straight away and checked in computer managment like u suggested, it showed 3 errors, all named source "ATi2mtag" which i believe is the graphics card/driver, eh ??? when i click on them it gives descriptions - CPLIB ::initialization - failed to load the library and the other says I2c return failed. "
If you read back a wee bitty my man you will see that i did try another graphics card that i know works 100% and it still shut down on me, so i guess that eliminated the graphics problem ?? i think i mentioned that in an earlier post.

edit :: >> by the way mate, i meant to say, thanks very much for all your help with this issue, and to everyone else who took a few minutes of thier time to help :emotions1, wait n see, now the computer will shut down again, ffs, lollllllll...

Last edited:
My system shuts down totally after an hour or two, i think it might be summit either to do with the power supply or the tempreature, but iam not sure.

I can be sitting playing away at games and then the computer just shuts down totally, no warnings no nuffin.

Then all that happens is the blue neon light that usually indicates the system is switched on flash's on/off every couple of seconds, even pressing the on/off button doesnt do anything, the neon keeps flashing and the pc does nuffin, it stays off, only way i can get it to boot back up like i have now is to pull the power out the back then plug back in, then everything seems ok.

this is all very strange, first time ive seen this happen on my system, i dunno whats going on ??

Can someone whos in the know please give help ?

my comp is doing the same thing shuting down...
going to give some of the tips from the post ago and see if it fixes it......hope soo....... so your not the only one with comp problems.........

my comp is doing the same thing shuting down...
going to give some of the tips from the post ago and see if it fixes it......hope soo....... so your not the only one with comp problems.........
yes mate, view all the posts in this thread, if ya have another graphics card to stick in, try that, if you can get another power supply unit, try that, and after that its when things start to get more expensive if its the motherboard or cpu thats fecked.

hopefully yours is still ok thomson

and scott try the simple ones first, taking fan off cpu and making sure fins on heatsink are free from dust and not clogged up, was my problem a while back

hopefully yours is still ok thomson

and scott try the simple ones first, taking fan off cpu and making sure fins on heatsink are free from dust and not clogged up, was my problem a while back
yep give it a spring clean,and a new bit of quality paste,not too much tho

i brought one of them PC Diagnostic POST CARD about 2 years ago, after my gigabyte 7nnxp MB had a fault. ( i paid £140 for it then) one of my mate at work mention to me, becuase he had one, and i ask him if i can borrow it, to find the fault. before i borrow the post card of him. i tried 3 amd cpu, 2 graphic cards, few momery stick, 2 PSU, it took me few days and nights. that my MB was faulty. after that i brought 1 from myself from ebay, it cost me about £7 from HK. now on i always use it, when i am repairing the pc or building a new pc. before anyone reply abt the MB.. the LED light up on MB but there was nothing on the screen...just black screen

have you tried running the machine without the cover/side on is it by a radiator or some sort of heat source is it shut in a cabinet with little ventilation?

i had the same problem...i just cleaned all the dust from the heatsink (the cooler under the fan covering the cpu) and it worked a treat....your pc automatically shuts down when it gets to hot to protect the processor...hope this helps

can you guys please quote who you are talking to in your posts, if its me then if ya would have read back just a little you would have seen that iam ok and sorted now, if its scott rich your talking to then please quote his name, sorry for the hassle guys but we do need to know whos' talking to who, lol... (unless of course you are just speaking to all people in general)

cheers :xmas:

Back