eBay again you can't make it up you just cant

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had an old phone here in cracking nick but I had a few issues with it charging up my wife had had it about 2 years.

It had been previously repaired in the past via a local shop but the fault appeared again, randomly not charging not connecting to the PC so the missus got a new phone.
The screen was in cracking nick I'd say mint and the back as it's been in a wallet since she bought it.

So I was having a clear out getting rid of anything in the draw so I puts it up on eBay clearly stating as faulty in the title header. I selected "Faulty not working" in the description selection box i.e. spares not working.

I clearly said it was faulty random charging and connecting numerous times in the description. I explained it had been repaired once before. Tbh I overkilled the description to try and avoid any return so in my description I added in uppercase
PLEASE NOTE THIS PHONE IS FAULTY SOLD SPARES REPAIRS NO REFUND. PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THIS BEFORE BIDDING.

I sends it off to the winning bidder then I get a message within 2hours of it landing:

it's not working , want a refund.

They are claiming (and I know there lying) their SIM card isn't been recognised. The SIM was working and accepting any sim at the time it left me Saturday I'm a million% sure of that.

They have ignored the charging issue I mentioned which "might" rear it's ugly head at any point (I explained this in the add) so what am I meant to do there when it suddenly stops charging refund on that problem months down the line?.

They reckon i didn't mention this SIM problem in the advert that was because there wasn't one and that they could live with no PC connection but not taking a SIM is not acceptable but they've totally ignored random charging fault I out in the description.

To me spares repairs not working is what it says on the tin, Sold broken use bits for spares.

Honestly you can't make it up, they want a refund on a phone I sold as faulty spares and repairs because it's not working.
You can't make it up give me strength

Last edited:
They could of thought the charging issue was an easy fix and when it wasn't made up this shit.

If you sold it as spares and repair only and no refund then he should not have any case. the phone is unusable since it don't charge so the sim issue is redundant. You could ask them to send a video of the issue but that would suggest that you may be willing to replace it.

To be honest i bought a tonne of broken stuff from ebay over the years and 9/10 there was nothing wrong with them or an easy easy fix. There was stage i had 4 PSPs as my own broke and i kept buying broken ones for the parts to fix mine but they were all fine when they arrived. Same thing happened with a load of tools i bought.

Only time I've had sim not recognised is with a locked phone, was it unlocked?

Phone def unlocked she's used 02 and vodafone in it, the sim worked fine when it left me I know that. I clearly said the phone works bar the charging issue and PC connection issue. I said sold as faulty about a dozen friggin times and sold in the not working spares section.

I just said to them, regardless of this so called sim issue what was you going to do when it suddenly stopped charging and it was dead ?as I stated in the add FAULTY

eBay have frozen my account and held the money. Does anyone know were the link for an eBay call back is? cant find it in contact eBay

I have to refund , eBay said they have misread the advert thats me done I have shut my account down

are they sending the item back or trying to keep it as well as the refund? Whats their feedback like?

I've not sold on eBay for years now cos of this, I do buy but thats it.

Should of listed it for parts only tbh. I only flog my phones on recycle mobile phone sites now.

are they sending the item back or trying to keep it as well as the refund? Whats their feedback like?
They've 1700 feedback but mainly as a buyer and all done in the past few years which raises suspicion. I bet they've done this once or twice.
I think it's one of 2 things,

They've bought it thinking it's a quick fix then realised it's not and devised a clever plan to get it returned saying there's another fault I didn't list.
I didn't list this so called SIM card issue because there was none when it left here.
Or,
They attempted a repair and cocked it up. I spoke with eBay on this I said, ok so I sell a item faulty listed under spares repairs because its not working and they want a refund because there's a fault it never had not listed in the description?.
He said they've misread it, just go with the refund.
F##kin joke , so even goods damaged sold as damaged listed in description as damaged can be returned because they are

damaged.

I've had to pay for a returns label and refund them the special next day cost so all in all I'm £12 down

Well yeah but I don't sell anything new I'm not a shop so I'm thinking, no comebacks on this simply because I'm selling it broke not working spares repairs faulty. The stuff I sell on eBay is either pretty good used stuff clothes used or something broke / knackered that someone else can make good. I'm no new age recycler but I hate things been thrown out especially if it can be stripped and bits used again and you get a couple of quid from it.
To think I'm in the wrong selling a faulty item then have it returned because its faulty is unreal

manic m8 nice try but sh1t muck spreading there pal :)

i stopped selling on ebay YEARS ago after selling a motorised satellite system, from an established ebay shop, that clearly stated 'includes professional installation withing XXXXX area'
sold a system, guy paid, i supplied, and installed, took photos (when digital cameras were a new thing), guy signed paperwork , happy days

untill 12 hours before his refund window expired, when he claimed for 'non delivery'

because i couldnt supply a tracking number, even though i could supply photos of the equipment in the guys house, and paperwork he had signed to say it was installed and he was happy with it, ebay and paypal refunded him in full, and restricted my accounts

i closed my ebay store straight away, removed hundreds of items, and have not sold anything on ebay ever since

after trying to contact the guy for about 2 weeks, i eventually borrowed an electrical tester from a friend, and went and pumped 500v down the coax, blowing up everything connected inside, and folding the dish in half and leaving it on his wall

i now only use ebay to buy cheap crap that i need that i cannot find anywhere else

eBay sucks if you're a seller they always go towards the buyer in a dispute

But glad they do sometimes as iv been stung a few times

Only ever use the place now if i can't fined the item somewhere ells

In my situation I sold it broke - not working spares& repairs will need repairing. I listed all the faults as they were.
The buyer used a loop hole saying I never said the SIM tray wasn't working so when I got it back I tried 4 Sims all 4 were accepted and showed the number working (I sent pictures as proof) but eBay still sided with the buyer.
What made me annoyed is, I'm £12ish down for mailing both ways. For me it's an unjust returns and the buyer should pay for the mailing both ways.
I mean, how can you buy something broke then return it as broke ?.

Last edited:
Just a rip-off m8 best using gumtree next time, plus you don't have any charges to pay

The buyer will come have a look and then give you the cash if they are happy with the product ect

Just a rip-off m8 best using gumtree next time, plus you don't have any charges to pay

The buyer will come have a look and then give you the cash if they are happy with the product ect
I sell mainly on Gumtree. The rule of thumb there though is always ask more than you actually want for the item and allow offers. Doesn't matter how cheaply you are selling you will always get the "What is your lowest price" query.
Putting "no offers" in your ad is usually ignored.

I have never had a problem yet selling on eBay tbh, probably been lucky.
I have never tried selling something that had a fault but I would think that if you listed an item for parts only the buyer should not be able return it. Doesn’t make sense if they can, because for example a buyer could buy a phone that was listed for parts only and remove a part they needed to repair their faulty phone and return the phone under the eBay ruling, not as described. Now chaps don’t be getting any ideas🤔

I have never had a problem yet selling on eBay tbh, probably been lucky.
I have never tried selling something that had a fault but I would think that if you listed an item for parts only the buyer should not be able return it. Doesn’t make sense if they can, because for example a buyer could buy a phone that was listed for parts only and remove a part they needed to repair their faulty phone and return the phone under the eBay ruling, not as described. Now chaps don’t be getting any ideas🤔

Don't know about that, I would say you have to list what is wrong, if not I could buy a phone for parts and spares wanting the screen to find it was smashed

Back