Strange PDF Error

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Whilst browsing my Windows Explorer this afternoon, I notice that all my PDF files (90%) downloaded/saved from Chrome have change to the Chrome icon instead of the PDF icon, the extension is still PDF, the file type was showing as PDF, no preview appeared at the side panel except for the "error PDF preview handler" message and when I open a file it goes to the original URL page.
So I made sure Adobe Acrobat is my default for PDF's, I updated Adobe but have not signed in and restarted the laptop.
The PDF files do now open as normal, the preview in side panel works, but the Chrome icon is still showing next to the file name and file type is now Chrome HTML Document - what is happening?
Not that I think it is anything to do with my OS, but I have a Win 10 Home version 10.01.19041 build 64bit OS and cannot update to Win 11 as I believe my laptop is a little too old (i5-4200U).

Just turn on my laptop, took a bit longer to start up Chrome.
I've checked and I do not have Adobe extension installed, but I have open Explorer and everything is back to normal 🧐
Over the last 12 months my laptop/Windows has been very weird - loss of WiFi connection, various Windows updates and loss of HP printer connection 🤔

It's happened again Chrome icon instead of the PDF icon, the extension is still PDF, File type is Chrome HTML Document, but preview is working as shown below.

Chrome Icons.jpg

Strange thing i noticed today as i have a scanner and a printer and malwarebytes flashed up bugs and moved to quarantine.

Be no harm to run protection scans for bad stuff.

I went into Settings, Default Apps, Choose default applications by file type.
Waited about 20 seconds for all the file types to load, scroll down until I found PDF in which the default was Chrome HTML Document.
Clicked on the icon to show what other applications were available, choose Adobe and exited out of Settings.
Back to normal, job done until next time.

Back