Linux raspberry pi

Thanks for info. Can you download RaspXBMC as a complete image or do you need to install it manually? Also do you know if you can have multiple images on same card and boot into each one or would you need separate SD card for each image?

You can use Berryboot to put multiple PI operating systems on sd card , I havent used it yet but over on xbmchub there are a couple of images ready for d/load,
the one I'm looking at has Openelec , Raspmc and ChameleonPi on it

Thanks. I will need to buy a bigger SD.
I got a 16GB verbatim from my local ink re-filler shop (not a national shop) for £5 but I think you get can them for £9.99 from photo print shops and such

Been using MobaXterm for last few days. Allows you to connect to Pi in SSH and also GUI from Windows. To run in GUI just type lxsession&

I'm trying to mount USB portable HD in Wheezy. When I list, it shows as NTFS/exFat but when I try to mount it as ntfs or ntfs-3g it just says unknown file type. Any suggestions as what to try ? Thanks

try this sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g then sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt presuming that there is only one usb drive if you have more than 1 type sudo fdisk -l

Been using MobaXterm for last few days. Allows you to connect to Pi in SSH and also GUI from Windows. To run in GUI just type lxsession&
thanks for that I was looking fo a way to do that I had been using my galaxy tab but the screen is too small to do some things as I could not scroll to the bottom using this in windows might be the answer instead of disrupting the tv viewing of other people

try this sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g then sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt presuming that there is only one usb drive if you have more than 1 type sudo fdisk -l

Thanks. When I turned on this morning its working now :) Maybe it required a reboot from the changes from last night.
Now going to try and figure out how to install SABnzbd

Found nice simple guide on how to share USB drive, install Samba and access the Pi by name and not IP address
If the mount doesn't work, try rebooting after the changes and then it worked OK for me.

Guide here

The newznab forum that I am on, there is at least one person running the indexer on there though I would wonder if the Pi has the grunt as there is a could of GB mysql database plus a load of php scripts required.

Hi...I now have openelec with XBMC installed. Trying to edit smb.conf but says error writing to file. Do I need to change permission and if so, which is best? I'm signed in as root so I assumed it should have worked.

Found a solution seems to have worked for now

mv /storage/.config/samba.conf.sample /storage/.config/samba.conf
nano /storage/.config/samba.conf

Last edited:
Decided to install XBMC in wheezy instead. Got it to play some videos but not all. Trying to play mp4 blu ray file and sound is fine but no video. Video works OK on laptop so I'm guessing some codec issue on the Pi. From previous experience on laptop, XBMC played all files. Should it work on Pi as well?

Yes you need to purchase the mpeg2 licence from the raspberry pi store they send you a key that enables hardware decoding of MPEG 2. They you'll be able to play ripped blu rays mkv files etc. The licence is cheap enough.
To keep costs for the pi down they don't include licences for all codecs. The CPU also isn't good enough for blu ray or HD rip video decoding the licence allows use of the GPU for video decoding which has got enough juice for the job.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Thanks. I will take a look at purchasing it.

One last question. When I exit XBMC it just goes to a black screen and have to log in remotely to shutdown or reboot. Any suggestions?

You need to purchase the licences from the raspberry foundation they are serial number dependant costs about £4 for the 2

I placed an order for one but cancelled it after 3 days as it never arrived. I read on their forums people are complaining as no one is receiving them.

Back