NowTV

I went for the ruko
Bit more expensive but you get some nice streaming channels ;)

you will not get anything better for £10

you can install ,ss-plex,icefilms , navi-x

it will pick up and play from a plex server

down side is there is no way to plug a usb hard drive,card in to the box it has to stream the files from some where

What you want to do with it...

Stream over the network? Yes - you just have to side load Plex.
Stream locally? No - but neither can the Roku LT, or the unreleased Roku 1 and Roku 2 pucks.
Stream from your phone? No. Or at least not yet. Whilst the Roku app picks up the Now TV box, a puck must be paired to your Roku account for the app to be able to interact with it.

Hacks? As the Roku pucks are built on Linux, the open source aspects do get released every now and then. However, I'm not aware of any custom firmware or OS for any of the Roku boxes. The best you could hope for is an Android port, but the spec of the Roku LT/Now TV box isn't far off that of the RasPi - and Android ports for that have all but stalled as they don't run very smoothly. As phawk754 says, most of the extra stuff you would want can be side loaded.

Netflix? Not via the channel store. Though I don't use Plex, I've recently heard there are Netflix and Hulu plugins for it - which might be worth investigating.

Essentially will it allow me to install XBMC? I have an ATV2, so was looking at something similar but at a tenth of the price.

(TT)

XBMC isn't available on the Roku platform. With the Now TV box proving so popular, it might be a case of wait-and-see what the community can do. But I don't want to promise anything.

The next cheapest option would be the RasPi. But I'm reading that XBMC is a little hit and miss (though it may well depend on experience).

Back