No good time to upgrade.

Started building a new gaming pc middle of October. The one I have now was one I built around 6 years ago, still a cracking setup but it's ran it's course. I ordered a whole host of parts from Scan and got started.
My only stumbling blocks were the power supply and the graphics card, both of which I had to pre-order The power supply has since arrived but I'm still in the queue for my RTX 3090.

My system has been built round a Z490 Gaming motherboard and an i9 10850k processor. Only thing is the Z590 motherboards have now been released. I would definitely have opted for that one because of the generation 4 PCIe. Of course that would also require an 11th gen cpu as well. I have a 1TB and a 2TB M.2 NVMe's which could have benefitted from that.

Don't get me wrong. My system is still fairly kickass but here I am 4 months down the line and have yet to give it it's 1st boot up due to the graphics cards fiasco. I receive an update email every Friday to inform me of my position in the queue. I was number 30 on the 15th January, the week after I was number 13 and am still number 13.

I know I could take the GTX970 from this pc just to get windows installed on my new one or to even run it temporarily. Just doesn't seem right to be honest.

Anyone else stuck in a queue for a graphics card? Was also seriously considering the HP Reverb G2 VR headset, again it was a pre-order item. By the time I finally convinced myself to order it was no longer available for pre-order.

I know that these are different times due to Covid 19 but these issues are more down to releasing the products without 1st building some sort of sustainable supply. It happened again with Microsoft and Sony with their latest consoles. I would willingly pull the trigger on these eBay scalpers.

Bloody hell, perhaps I should have posted this in the Rant Room. 🤣
I still say the graphics card shortage is planned by Nvidia and AMD you cannot tell me they do not know how many cards they sell a year over the last 20 years. They can blame it on miners but truthfully it is just bad planning or deliberate.

Maybe the pandemic affected production and demand may have gone up during lockdown as more people confined to their home’s building gaming pc’s and mining rigs due to the sudden price rise of Bitcoin🤔
32C90F35-2396-4C56-82AE-B1A7702E94AA.jpeg

I still say the graphics card shortage is planned by Nvidia and AMD you cannot tell me they do not know how many cards they sell a year over the last 20 years. They can blame it on miners but truthfully it is just bad planning or deliberate.
Why would the manufacturers do it purposely? They aren't the ones cashing in on it and they are also fierce competitors.

All manner of graphics cards are in hot demand at the moment. My aim was to split my existing pc into it's component parts and sell them as separates once my new graphics card arrives. I expected my MSI GTX 970 to make between £70/£80.
Due to this worldwide shortage the prices have shot up so I have decided to put it on eBay now when I can get a better price.

Within the 1st 2 hours I had received 5 offers. The lowest is £70 with the highest being £138. They have been selling around £150-£190!!!
Luckily I have kept all the boxes and packaging for my gear.

Just means I will have to use my new build sooner than expected using onboard graphics only. :D

GTX 970 is still a cracking old card

Still using mine ;)
Yes, I remember you have the 970. Mine has played everything I've chucked at it so far. I noticed I had nothing left when playing GRW though. I then got the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and started to show an interest in VR (another item I can't get yet), so decided it was time for a step up.

I have a couple of GTX 1060 6 GB DDR5 cards they are selling now for as much as i bought them, but i have not decided what to do with them yet.

Gtx 770 was a good card. Its what i had when i first built my pc.
Yup was a really good card back in the day,used to run 2 in Sli,nowadays both are being used for young kids pc's,getting on a bitnow though..lol

I just remembered i tried to sell mine on here, 2016...where does the time go 😀

Here - Geforce gtx 770 gaming.
£70 5 years ago and are averaging £100 on eBay at the moment. Nothing like a shortage to boost prices eh?
I had an offer of £145 for my 970 but someone has placed a bid now. Had received 15 offers in the first 7 hours.

Anyone with spare cards should be thinking of selling now while prices are high.

Edit....My weekly queue update email tells me I'm now number 8, down from 9 in the queue.
Good that I'm moving. Wonder if they're fulfilling orders or whether the buyers have got fed up and asked for their money back?
Probably a combination of both

Last edited:
I've always rated Overclockers but just lately I'm having a change of heart.
Ordered a gpu support bracket and a bit of lighty up bling from them 3 weeks ago, never heard anything for a fortnight. When I asked what was going on was told that the bracket was on back order and could I wait?

My weekly graphics card update emails have also seemed to have stopped. Last one I received was on 26th March to tell me I was number 8 in the queue.
I contacted them to ask what happened to the weekly updates and they replied " Thankyou for your webnote, we are currently sending queue position emails roughly every 2 weeks or as and when stock arrives of individual GPU's."

Seems that Overclockers like to keep their customers in the dark and if like me you're not physic you have to contact them rather than them keeping us informed.

There are only a couple of fabs capabable of manufacturing some of the chips. Germany claimed that it was going to manufacture silicon for their automotive industry at home due to the pandemic.

Received an email today informing me that my RTX3090 has been packed and will be shipped out today via DPD. :) :)

Must admit I was getting close to cancelling. Been following progress on the retailers forum and appears they have been taking a price hit on the original price they took from many of us.
Read that some retailers prices now are closer to those of the scalpers.

Thats been a hell of a wait m8,hope you enjoy,i will just go and give my new system a good dusting...:(

Got a bit of a dilemma now. Not so sure now that I really want this setup. As most of you know I went through some horrible surgery a while back. I was hoping that I would be a bit further along in my recovery than I actually am.

Don't get me wrong. I am improving slowly and probably in line with my Surgeon's expectations. It's just that I haven't regained my enthusiasm or the energy to sit in front of a monitor for any real length of time. I have had a shed installed which I am slowly converting into a hobby workshop. This keeps me active and is improving my concentration.
I have been busy buying some class tools to both help me build my shop and for my forthcoming hobbies. High up on my shopping list is the PROVerXL 4030 CNC milling machine + the 6060 extension kit, but not quite ready for it yet.

The only gaming I've done of late is a little Ghost Recon Wildlands on the xbox one. I enjoyed each time I've done it but am unsure that at present I can justify the £3.5k+ I've spent on this system just to do a bit of browsing, the occasional hour on Ghost Recon and check my emails. I'm not desperate for the money and can still stay on track with my workshop without selling this setup.
I could let it sit here and depreciate like every other system I've built, or I could sell and actually get my build price back and perhaps a bit more.

Sometime in the not too distant future, when gpu's are once again readily available, I may be more capable and interested in building another one. I'm really torn here but I know the sensible thing to do would be to sell.
The 3090 will be here Monday, I'm not going to open it until I decide what to do. One thing I know for sure is that my setup will not be on eBay. I think they used to have a cap on the final valuation fee but that has long gone. I think now it is 12.5% on the 1st £2500 plus 3% for the remainder.
A brilliant platform for getting views but the fees are extortionate. They've had enough out of me this year.

Back