Need a new Washing Machine

Just spoke with the misses and she believes we won't be using the dryer option that frequently and hence wants to opt for washer dryer, so on the odd occasion we have the choice without using up more space...
Personally im not sure what route to turn however how much of a compromise can a 2in1 be, maybe the results wont be as near as two separate units but they cant really be that bad, can they?

Some people don't have any issue with them, but you will probably find more than most will try to steer you away from a combined unit, I always found it took twice, sometimes three times as long to dry clothes, and from the few people I know that had breakdowns, the perception was the expense was greater, plus more chance and more frequently likely to break.

My personal opinion is you will only regret it later on, because that's exactly what I did and went back to separates.

At the end of the day it's yours and you wife's choice and what is best for you in terms of placement, space and convenience.

Looking objectively, you could spend £600 on a combined unit, or £500 on a really good washer, and £100 on a basic rear vented dryer, which if it breaks isn't the end of the world.

Last edited:
Some people don't have any issue with them, but you will probably find more than most will try to steer you away from a combined unit, I always found it took twice, sometimes three times as long to dry clothes, and from the few people I know that had breakdowns, the perception was the expense was greater, plus more chance and more frequently likely to break.

My personal opinion is you will only regret it later on, because that's exactly what I did and went back to separates.

At the end of the day it's yours and you wife's choice and what is best for you in terms of placement, space and convenience.

Looking objectively, you could spend £600 on a combined unit, or £500 on a really good washer, and £100 on a basic rear vented dryer, which if it breaks isn't the end of the world.

Combined are always condenser type - I HATE condensers, as above, the clothes always come out damp, even after 2-3 times through the machine. Buy a cheap vented job, in the end the extra leccy it supposedly uses is far outweighed by the leccy used to redry your clothes.

As for stacking the dryer on top of the washer, you can buy fixing kits to secure them, that is how we used to have the washer and dryer at work; be aware that most are only sold as fitting particular models, so if you are buying a different brand of dryer to washer, make sure it fits.

If you look inside a washing machine and then inside a dryer you will notice that the holes in the drums are in different places, and are different sizes this is because the drums do different jobs.

My 8 yo Bosch went tits this morning :( so went to Comet to see what they had left. manage to get a Hoover DYN8164D for £220 :)

Back