Need a new Washing Machine

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Evening All!

Need all your expert advise on which new washing machine to purchase.

Our budget is around £600

The key areas being -

1. Energy Saving
2. Minimum of 6kg Load
3. Short wash option / Good Selection of programs
4. Quiet as possible
5. Robust
6. Good Guarantee

Any suggestions and where to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zanussi all the way...

For £600 you will get a stonker, mine cost me £350.

Only thing to note is that the normal routine is longer than most (about hour and half, but that could just be my model)

E.G.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
I got a an LG 9KG washer/dryer 18 month ago. Does a quick wash on 30 in 36mins or 40 in 46mins. has low energy dryer + a simple to use timer so you can load it and it will wash through the night. You can also set it to wash/dry a 6kg load on low temp and on a timer so when you get up there done and dusted.
was bit dear at £500 but your getting a dogs danglies machine for that.

Thanks for the replies.

What do you guys think of the LG F1480RD Washer Dryer?

Have a look here, you may have to stretch you budget slightly - htxp://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=0&gs_ri=serp&pq=miele&cp=8&gs_id=c&xhr=t&q=miele+washing+machine&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=39468505&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5048760569391618123&sa=X&ei=b_--UJ_bAY2JhQfkjYGADQ&sqi=2&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAQ

As been overpriced, I disagree. we have had ours 12 years now with NO issues. I am sure you can also register for a 10 year warranty now also.

Wheras my parets have had Zanussi/LG and Hotpoint washing machines is the same period all costing circa £400.....so who is the mug there? When I paid £600 12 years ago.

IMHO, Miele ARE over priced to the average Joe regardless of what's banded around, my mother-in-law had her Hotpoint for 10 years before it packed in, however Miele do have a very good service record, and there are less of their units that fail (that's not to say they wont as it's not guarantee). Warranty is 2 years, however you can pay (as with any appliance) to extend this for parts and labour to 10 years.

My first Zanussi I had for 8 years, I replaced it because we wanted something more suited to the utility room (old, started to look a little bedraggled), my current one I've had for three years.

I've had hotpoint and indesit and was lucky to get a couple of years out of them before they had to get repaired or parts replaced.

Bosh are also decent too. As with everything it's all down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Right the misses has decided on a washer dryer (2in1) rather than just a washing machine.
What do you guys think of a washer dryer rather than a free standing washing machine only and do you have any recommendations?

Miele I know have a fantastic washer dryer but are priced over 1k!

washer dryers are good m8 but if it breaks after manufactures warranty you then buy 2 items instead of replacing one if going for a new one try and get a direct drive washer as these have no belts so cant slip
something like this if your set on a washer dryer Samsung WD0804W8E Ecobubble 8 and 5kg Freestanding Washer Dryer in White at Appliances Direct
also free 5 year warranty http://www.samsung.com/uk/news/presskit/samsung-announces-free-five-year-warranty-on-home-appliances

but i havent checked on the direct drive bit lol

Last edited:
I have had 3 washers in 20 years, we had a cheaper washer only Hotpoint for 10 years which took some hammering. We moved 18 months ago and didn't have the space for a dryer hence the reason I bought the LG washer/dryer. The larger 9KG tub means you can get alot more in so less washes and the dryer is a big bonus . It's a condenser dryer so you don't need a pipe outlet for the moisture, it comes out the water outlet pipe.

So my experience with "my" LG washer/dryer (touch wood) has been very good , no probs and I've 3 kids so its constantly on the go.
The only thing I would suggest is, don't overload the dryer or your clothes will end up with some stubborn creases.

Oh and the Hotpoint washer is still going in the old house, I left it there for the tenant :)

Been down the washer/dryer route too.

Never again, it was the worst choice ever. Drying times are significantly longer and repairs significantly more expensive, plus as has been said, having to replace two appliances....

Condenser dryers are great, little bit more but worth it.

bosch used to be very good. my bosch is still going and it must be 10 years old. i used to fit washers and the bosch ones seemed pretty good then . it all depends on if they make them like they used to.

As above, buy separates, and a thumbs up for Samsung; I dont know that particular model, but I bought a Samsung out of interest 3 years ago for a little over £300 and have been amazed at not only the wash and spin results, but also how QUIET it is; it is only a 1200RPM spin, but the washing usually comes out so dry it rarely needs anything more than a few hours on the airer.
The "Daily" wash is 29 minutes and is so good I rarely use any other setting unless the item is REALLY badly soiled.

Re Miele,

Not sure about the latest models, but the 2008 models were not very robust; we use the washer and dryer 2-3 times a day at work - short wash only - and the Miele duo we bought lasted less than 2 years before the washer started persistently leaking and the dryer kept cutting out and claiming the water tray was full when it was bone dry. Multiple call-outs failed to properly fix either.

Previously an ancient AEG lasted for 15 years and the replacement Hotpoint has been going for nearly 3 with only a ripped rubber door seal causing issues (some of the staff are Honey Monsters, they keep breaking things - a cupboard door and the dishwasher control panel both got ripped off last month!!!).

The AEG DID have a habit of eating baby socks though; every week I would empty the filter and find a sock jammed in there.

We would love to get separate units but we do not have the room just yet, although we plan to do some extension work mid next year which should allow more room...

We would love to get separate units but we do not have the room just yet, although we plan to do some extension work mid next year which should allow more room...

Can you not stack your appliances temporarily? Dryers depending on what you get are not that heavy and if you distribute the weight by mounting it on a board then you should be fine.

Just spoke with the misses and she believes we won't be using the dryer option that frequently and hence wants to opt for washer dryer, so on the odd occasion we have the choice without using up more space...
Personally im not sure what route to turn however how much of a compromise can a 2in1 be, maybe the results wont be as near as two separate units but they cant really be that bad, can they?

Back