My Newbie 1st Satelite Installation *Pics Included*

rp3X

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive decided to post up some pics and Tips of my very 1st ghetto super newbie installation of my 1m Orbit Dish with technomate 2600 moter !

If anyones been following my install thread 'Getting it plum' you can see I struggled for 2 weeks and made mistakes all the way, in fact I almost gave up in the end anyhow heres the end result !

img00336201003101618.jpg

Yes I know very low.... limited options, ie wooden house and that was the only solid concrete fence in my lovely backgarden, besides wanted too get basics right !

img00346201003101621.jpg

Still wondering what that black line and plank of wood is doing? Heres why !

img00345201003101620.jpg

Yes you seen that right ive used the handle from my mums Bissels Perfect sweep to prop the L mounting Pole so its vertical and "All Plum" !

End Result :

img00352201003112043.jpg

94% signal strength but that was after flexing the dish back and forth and tighting all bolts, with the help of a m8 shouting out the window and 10 minutes later I went from 68% to 94%.

Just glad I got there since I almost quit when I couldnt get Thor1 west !

*****Tips*****

* Preparation is key, Read digidudes fantastic guide here: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/89757/ I read it at dozens of times !

* A Cordless Hammer Drill with sds support if possible, If your drilling into concrete/stone/brick you will need it, I went and brought a 10mm Masonry Drill sds piece from wicks for £5.

*Check Dishpointer.com and input your address, here u can get all the info you need u can place the position of where your dish will go, see what sats you can get, which direction to point too to get a satelite like thor1 west! And you can get your latitude/longitude settings.

*Mounting of your Wall mount pole, find a nice solid flat concrete/brick surface and test the Mount pole is gonna be good at this location so using a leveler check its plum alround, then mark the holes and drill/screw in. This bit confused me! so check here too find out what Being Plum is about:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/231209/#post1712946

*Dont worry about your dish angle/declination settings too much I was advised to keep it loose since u gotta end up moving it up and down anyhow to find thor1/bbc, once you entered your latitude settings on the moter (the other side of moters mirrored anyhow) and you can tighten it up and then you can put that and the dish onto the Mount pole.

*A sat finder is a great tool and only a fiver of ebay or pcworld sells it for a 11 quid, sure maplins got it too. This will help you get to Thor1 West better but its not 100% essential.

*Another tip which saved me was switch your Sat box to Thor 1west/BBC worldwide channel (you may need to upload a channel list to your box 1st) and turn the volume up to high on your tv set then gently move your dish towards the direction dishpointer is showing towards thor1west and gently move the dish till you hear your telly blast out bbcnews !

I did the above with a satfinder tool so got a constant loud beep to indicate I was close too a Satelite and then heard my telly blast out bbcnews, so I knew I got that thor1west satelite! if it wasnt for mdts suggestion of this tip I would have quit !

* Grab a m8, tell him too check the signal bar and let you know when it maxes out on thor1West on bbcworldwide. I was 68% signal strength on thor1 then I flexed my dish till my m8 told me dont move a muscle when I hit 94% ! Be gently during flexing/moving of the dish since 2-3mm in any direction and u could loose the signal!

* Why Thor1 West..... its the best satelite too follow the arc and get the rest of the Sats!

* Dont stand in front of the Dish when Flexing/adjusting the Dish for best signal.....

Hopefully many newbies like myself can avoid the blunders I made above, if you read digidudes guide a few times and take in the tips above I think you could get it done far easier/quicker!

If theres anything ive said wrong or correction let us know thx

Last edited by a moderator:
glad you got sorted m8,nice pic aswell on tv, hopefully il have a do
in a few weeks with mine but not on a concrete post,it will end up
gettin nicked with these thieving fookers where i am,glad you got there in the end

at least u got there in the end m8 ,welldone
i hope that it wasnt the wind that knocked ur fence down
as the dish will get battered.

well done, thought mine was bad, the dish is strapped to an old scaffolding tube, tied to a tree,

Well done m8 glad you got there in the end :Clap:

* Dont stand in front of the Dish when Flexing/adjusting the Dish for best signal.....:roflmao:

thats the best tip ive heard in a long while m8!, well done although its a pain in the arse to get right you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself and saved a few quid and you know that if anything goes wrong you can fix it yourself instead of being charged the earth by some(not all)installers. a tip m8 is have a look at the sats 10 east and 8w/24.5w as you can see some cracking sports feeds and interesting sng links. enjoy your new toy! regards mdt. P.S. as you were saying that you couldnt get hispasat try moving your motor higher up on the L bracket as it might give you that bit more elevation to clear the obstruction, just a thought m8!

Last edited:
cheers m8 for all, yeah oddly after 5 minutes flexing the dish and wondering why the signal dropped I then moved out of the way and got 94%:)

I retried and now get hispasat just fine and I get other sats also...

Just browsing around and yeah plenty going on but obviously a technomate 5400 is a bit limiting, now just gotta decide on cs and spiderbox or TM-800 HD route :)

well done, thought mine was bad, the dish is strapped to an old scaffolding tube, tied to a tree,

You know what... there was times when I was looking at my tree... id love too see pics of your tree/pole installation :)

lol weldone mate ya madhead

mount_80_stand2.jpg

another idea for mounting on grounds,concrete

roof_mount2.jpg

Well done

Now get off you arse and clean that garden up FFS

i cheated, i paid a guy £100 he got it up ad running in about 3 hrs.

Its still not a bad way too do it and tbh I think 100 quids not bad for 3hrs work and for what you get, I was getting quotes of 40-50 quid just too borrow a hammer drill for 2 days !

The only thing is it would be nice if you know the ins and outs but once its all installed at most I guess u would need to do is re-allign the dish and flex/move it too thor1west/bbc just in case its a windy day or something that way you dont have too keep paying for a call out fee and I hear these guys charge between 40-60 quid still.

Thats a fantastic insight into what I'm planning to do, but still reading up on.

Sorry noob question.. what satellite is the dish in your garden pointing to in the pictures? and what range can (or should) it be able to pickup? The reason I ask is looking at dishpointer I think I can just about manage Thor but wouldn't be able to get the dish to turn any more west due to wall etc...

good on ya me old got there ok just watch kids dont kick there footballs at it :Clap:

Nice work mate just tidy up the wires take the sat bleeper off and job will look like a pro

now get down b&q get some non metalic paint and paint it like a big face that scare the kids away from running into it

Thats a fantastic insight into what I'm planning to do, but still reading up on.

Sorry noob question.. what satellite is the dish in your garden pointing to in the pictures? and what range can (or should) it be able to pickup? The reason I ask is looking at dishpointer I think I can just about manage Thor but wouldn't be able to get the dish to turn any more west due to wall etc...

Its currently pointed too Thor1 west, Ive been playing around with it and I can get 13,19,28 east sats and even 1w and 30w sats, and theres tons inbetween them but yeah even for me ive got houses blocking on the right so I dont get anything beyond 30w otherwise its just pointing towards my kitchen :banana:

From what Ive heard dont quote me on it though is that 13e,19e,28e,1w sats provide more then enough entertainment and considering im just using a technomate 5400 with patch and im getting 1000+ channels pretty good ! Im sure once I decide/get my next box proberly a spiderbox ill be speechless :)

I'm a greenkeeper, ye want me to sort out yer garden?!?!?

Nice job mate

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

good job m8 glad you stuck with it .i tried for months to get mine going,i had everything up on the roof so it was a bit hard for me not to "stand in front of it while i was flexing it" anyway i ahd to get someone in in the end i got sky np and a few others but never got thor myself ,the chap got it for me ,when he was up he told me i was so near i was slightly off plumb not much but enuff to throw it out ,it was a learning curve but im glad you managed it :banana::Clap:

Back