Main site news::::Insert title of choice.

danforth

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The title above is to illustrate a suggestion made here :-

www.digitalworldz.co.uk/357917-post-header.html

I added the "Main site news" prefix (in this case) but the suggestion was for the forum s/w to automatically insert whatever section is involved.
The section is specified in the blue part directly above the "reply to thread" button (in vivid), but that is only visible from the first succeeding
post, and then goes out of sight, until the first post on the next page.

No reminder is given on the bottom "reply to thread" button, which I normally use, which is why I suggested insertion into the post title, so the
section could be seen at all times. I have explained all this twice, in the link above, as clearly as I can, .......without starting from the alphabet.

The only response (so far) has been piss taking, from the usual suspects, which I don't mind, enjoy, and even indulge in occasionally,
but it detracts from the purpose of the suggestion. Is good idea, or bad idea, with reasons, completely out of the question ?

So, I don't mind if the piss take continues here, but there is a location reminder, contained in the title of all posts in this thread.

And rules iz rules, so I'm told.:Biggrin2:

Last edited:
Didn't read it the first time, or forgotten it already ?:D

Closest I could find to a "tongue in cheek" smiley:sneaky:, sure I've seen one somewhere.

So basically if you hit "reply to thread" it doesnt actually show you what thread you are replying to/in,

But if after hitting "reply to thread" you then chose "Go Advanced" it does have the thread title in the message box,so you know where you are,

Therefore solution might be to make the "Go Advanced" option the default,

yes/no?

Answers on a postcard :)

So basically if you hit "reply to thread" it doesnt actually show you what thread you are replying to/in,

But if after hitting "reply to thread" you then chose "Go Advanced" it does have the thread title in the message box,so you know where you are,

Therefore solution might be to make the "Go Advanced" option the default,

yes/no?

Answers on a postcard :)

It does show the section in "Go Advanced", but only because I've written this section in.

In any case the suggestion was submitted following the Woolwich incident, and it didn't look like too many people used "advanced", me included.:)

Think I'm beginning see where the confusion is.

If I "reply with quote" of any size, and "go advanced", my browser (using vivid) scrolls straight to the bottom of the quote
where I start writing. This conceals the blue section banner which you mention, unless I scroll back up.

Does that make more sense ?

It does show the section in "Go Advanced", but only because I've written this section in.

In any case the suggestion was submitted following the Woolwich incident, and it didn't look like too many people used "advanced", me included.:)

Incorrect my good fellow :)

If you hit advanced after quick reply it opens up a big message box with the thread title and above that you can see exactly where the thread in question is from ;)

Well at least it does for me but I have advanced editor turned on in settings lol

Incorrect my good fellow :)

If you hit advanced after quick reply it opens up a big message box with the thread title and above that you can see exactly where the thread in question is from ;)

Well at least it does for me but I have advanced editor turned on in settings lol

Two of the screenshots below are what I see, replying to the first post in a sample thread with quote. The third is what I'm trying to suggest.

Quick reply sample..JPG Advanced reply sample.JPG Suggested result.JPG

That's replying to the first post, succeeding posts are worse. I'm using the default standard editor.
One more time, if the section is inserted into the title header, it's repeated at each and every post, no matter where the post is.:bangshead::Biggrin2::Biggrin2:

Advanced editor! Advanced Editor ! My pc runs Win 7, my brain runs 3.1.1, and that's on a good day ! I need "Advanced" like a hole in the head !:LOL:

Edit: No sneaking a look at my bookmarks either.:LOL:

Last edited:
But the second pic shows the title of the thread?
That's what you are looking for isn't it?

This is what i get if I hit Go advanced after either hitting quick reply or reply with quote

Obviously if I scroll down the main body of the post is there,but you can clearly see at the top what section the post is in :)

But the second pic shows the title of the thread?
That's what you are looking for isn't it?

It shows the title, but doesn't show the section that title is in e.g ...........Main site news, general chat, sensible chat........need I go on ?:)

It shows the title, but doesn't show the section that title is in e.g ...........Main site news, general chat, sensible chat........need I go on ?:)

See my earlier post :)

But even in your second pic you should be able to guess by the title what section its in?

Should I just give up now and let Mick take over :D

This is what i get if I hit Go advanced after either hitting quick reply or reply with quote

Obviously if I scroll down the main body of the post is there,but you can clearly see at the top what section the post is in :)

How do I get into this photobucket thingy ?:)

See my earlier post :)

But even in your second pic you should be able to guess by the title what section its in?

Should I just give up now and let Mick take over :D

I can guess, I can even scroll up and look, but people didn't seem to be doing either in the Woolwich post, a lot of which had to be deleted, hence my suggestion.

The suggestion puts a section reminder straight into the eyes of someone making a post. I thought it would save you work, apparently not.:)

I can guess, I can even scroll up and look, but people didn't seem to be doing either in the Woolwich post, a lot of which had to be deleted, hence my suggestion.

The suggestion puts a section reminder straight into the eyes of someone making a post. I thought it would save you work, apparently not.:)

Ah so you are presuming people didnt know where they were posting,i see

Ah so you are presuming people didnt know where they were posting,i see

I saw most that were subsequently deleted, some directly and all via email notification (which you can't delete once sent).

I can't speak for everyone, but I think, in the heat of the moment, some forgot they were in main site news.:)

Last edited:
I saw most that were subsequently deleted, some directly and all via email notification (which you can't delete once sent).

I can't speak for everyone, but I think, in the heat of the moment, many forgot they were in main site news.:)

I think you maybe a bit naive tbh,no offense intended,

But in all seriousness your suggestion is a good one but I personally dont think it would stop the afore mentioned oversight by people :)

Sent from my MOMO12 using Tapatalk HD

I think you maybe a bit naive tbh,no offense intended,

But in all seriousness your suggestion is a good one but I personally dont think it would stop the afore mentioned oversight by people :)

Sent from my MOMO12 using Tapatalk HD

I won't deny being a bit naive, not been posting long enough to judge really.

And it was just a suggestion, not a crusade. I'll happily settle for understanding what I meant.:)

God ffs he joins in 2005 posts fook all for 8 years now he wants to redesign the site, why don't someone just post F**k off.

Back