New car tax rates from April 1 could cost petrol and diesel drivers hundreds of pounds

Oggiman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
New rules for car tax coming in a few weeks will mean higher charges for petrol and diesel drivers. This is because the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is set to rise in line with inflation from April 1, 2024.

HM Revenue and Customs says rates "will remain unchanged in real terms", but that the scheme will "impact" vehicle owners. VED rates are based on how much pollution a car emits, so dirtier petrol and diesel models will feel the biggest impact.

Everyone who owns a petrol, diesel or hybrid vehicle will have to pay more under the new VED rate increases this spring. However, motorists with a fully electric vehicle are still exempt from paying VED fees.

But this is set to change from April 2025, with all new cars expected to be subject to the tax, regardless of their fuel type. The cost of bills depends on the age of a vehicle and how much it pollutes the environment.

Read Full story HERE

Electric cars are the future and the government will tax it more ?

No more petrol and diesel ect

I think they are missing a trick with Hydrogen cars myself. You could still fill them up like a petrol or diesel cars and be away in a matter of minutes from the fuel station. This would be a much simpler conversion to deal with for motorists. Plus you can get to your destination most likely on one tank if you can do it now on petrol and diesel. And its just water than comes out the exhaust.

I think they are missing a trick with Hydrogen cars myself. You could still fill them up like a petrol or diesel cars and be away in a matter of minutes from the fuel station. This would be a much simpler conversion to deal with for motorists. Plus you can get to your destination most likely on one tank if you can do it now on petrol and diesel. And its just water than comes out the exhaust.
It been a while since I read up but I think it’s the energy/cost of processing the hydrogen that’s the issue. As with electric cars all that is happening is the source of the pollution is being moved. At least with hydrogen there wouldn’t be any loss of energy once it’s extracted. Moving and storing electricity must be lossy.
I agree though hydrogen seems the way to go but without the hydrogen available we are screwed.

I was looking at a Toyota Mirai but only 2 hydrogen filling stations in Scotland and each is over 150 miles away from Glasgow

Electric cars are the future and the government will tax it more ?

No more petrol and diesel ect

Are Electric Cars the Future ? They are far too expensive, they take too long to charge and do not have the distance range that many people require. As for them being Eco Friendly, what a load of Bull ! Just the pollution created producing the batteries such as mining the minerals required to make the batteries far outstrips the pollution created by the life time use of an ordinary petrol or diesel car. Then there is the problem of producing enough Electricity which again creates pollution problems. Plus what are they going to do with all of the discarded batteries and Wind Turbine Vanes ? They are already beginning to pile up because nobody knows what to do with them, the structure of both items make them nigh impossible to re-cycle.

Back