laptop wont connect to net?

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi guys
i have a portege laptop but i cannot connect the thing to the internet via the ethernet adapter it shows packets sent but none received i have tried enabling and disabling and rebooting but it wont connect please help!!!!
i have a pc that connects fine to the same modem but try it on my laptop and it wont :(

melttc said:
hi guys
i have a portege laptop but i cannot connect the thing to the internet via the ethernet adapter it shows packets sent but none received i have tried enabling and disabling and rebooting but it wont connect please help!!!!
i have a pc that connects fine to the same modem but try it on my laptop and it wont :(
have u check to see if theres any software updates for the lappy on there web page m8 like xp drivers?

Exactly how are you trying to 'connect'?? Wired/Wireless..??Through a router/modem or through another m/c??? etc....
Bit more info will help us solve your problem, I'm sure :)
If you've got a router, then see if you can ping the IP addy of the router, are you using static IP addresses? or DHCP? If the other m/c is conected aswell see if you can ping that IP address....

hi
im connecting directly to the modem ive tried ethernet and usb but it says web page cannot be displayed and no packets sent im at my wits end.
the laptop was on windows nt and i put xp over the top of it maybe this is the problem>?

Shouldn't be a problem installing XP over NT
Is the network adapter installed corrcetly? Drivers etc?....can you ping the modem if you connect by ethernet?....Try setting the network settings to obtain an IP address automatically & the same for DNS..Have you got the firewall turned on??

Qnother thought, make sure that IE is set to look down the LAN, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN settingsm check the box next to automatically detect settings...

Did u try turning the modem off for a short while, before connecting the laptop? (The modem will need to recognise the new ethernet mac address).

yep tried both of them mate it recognises that the modem is connected etc it says connected at 100 mbps etc but wont display the page

Go into Control Panel > Network Connections
Are there any other devices listed in here ?
(if so right-click and disable them).
Turn off windows firewall on the connection u want to use.

Have u run the wizard to setup the laptop for internet ?
are u on Telepest - the cd usually has a tool for sorting connection ?
(blueyonder instant support tool).
Uninstall modem USB drivers if u put them in.

Last edited:
Do u have the drivers for the laptop ?
If so, delete the network connection completely, reset the laptop,
and reinstall the network card.

Did u actually kill the power to the modem for a short while ?
(or just turn off - standby).

Run Internet Explorer
Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab
Delete any dial up connections ??? (shouldnt be any there anyhoo)
Press the LAN tab
Make sure Automatic Detect Settings is ticked
OK
OK
Close Internet Explorer
Run Internet Explorer

Any joy ?

no still the same its like its blocked from receiving the net after rebboting the modem again i got a message saying microsoft net password needed to be set up after connecting sucessfully to the internet?
is if i got connected then blocked?

Might do, thats why I said previously to disable any other network connections, except the one u want to use.

(im assuming ur using XP)

Try this ...
Start Button > Run > type CMD
(type the following in the window)
ipconfig /release *Con* (press return/enter key)
(then type)
ipconfig /renew (press return/enter key)

Then try Internet Explorer.

edit: just a bit of a cleanup of above

Last edited:
if the drivers r ok and u have wireless bet to get a hub and u can at least have two computers working on the web ? just incase u cant sus it m8

Back