Ethernet cable problem

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Brought a desktop pc off my daughter which was working fine,soon as I connect the ethernet cable I get no Internet and when doing a network diagnosis get "ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration...restarted the router and pc and hey presto it worked but then lost WiFi in the house...soon as I rebooted the pc and router again got WiFi back but lost the ethernet cable connection again...I'm lost 😞

Install Speccy run program , then check the model of the motherboard

Then download the ethernet driver for it and see if that helps

Best having the Ethernet cable connected up before you boot your pc up

Strange how you're loosing your wifi connection on the router

Thanks for the quick reply...all ive done is plug the ethernet cable into my powerline adaptor and it all works...very weird

Thanks for the quick reply...all ive done is plug the ethernet cable into my powerline adaptor and it all works...very weird
When I first read your post I was wondering if your lan connection was creating a load on the motherboard. Working via the adaptor may suggest that it was.
Other possible way it may work would be through an add on lan card. Strange though if all was well at your daughters place.

I get weirdness like that from time to time and have to reboot the router, homeplugs, hub, .... in the right order for them to all happily coexist on the same network

Turn everything off, turn the PC on then give a static IP then turn everything else on. It sounds like homeplugs clashing with IP's.
I had this with a wireless 8port hub causing no end of IP problems. I ended up ditching it and ran a cable instead upstairs to a wired hub

Sounds like it could be an IP address clash (where the IP address of your computer's ethernet connection is clashing with the IP address of another device in your network). Can you check the network settings of the ethernet adapter on the computer and see if it's manually set to an IP address? If so, try to set it to automatic (example guide for windows 10: How to find and manually assign an IP address on Windows 10 | TP-Link)

Back