Killie pull off cup shock

FORMER Fifa referee Stuart Dougal today backed Willie Collum over the decision that Neil Lennon claimed cost Celtic the Treble.

The Hoops boss was incensed when Collum refused to award his side a penalty at the end of the Scottish Communities Cup Final at Hampden on Sunday.

But ex-official Dougal reckons the whistler was spot on to book Anthony Stokes for diving after the tackle by Michael Nelson of Kilmarnock.

He said: “It was excellent refereeing. It was a very good decision. The referee doesn’t just have to ascertain whether there has been contact, he has to work out if there has been illegal contact, enough contact to take the players’ legs away.

“The fact that Anthony Stokes takes another step with his right foot after the challenge suggests that was not the case.

“Was there contact on the back of his leg? Possibly. But I didn’t see enough contact to trip Stokes.

“He took another step after it. I would say he threw himself down to try and win a penalty.”

Dougal added: “The reaction of Victor Wanyama was interesting. He wasn’t too impressed with Stokes afterwards. He went up and nudged him as if to say: ‘Why didn’t you shoot?’

“If he thought it was a penalty he would have gone into the penalty to claim for it.

“The referee’s position was excellent and he showed great strength of character to call it. Giving the penalty would have been the easiest thing for him do. He is a very, very strong referee.

“I will be interested to see what the SFA think of Mr Lennon’s comments. It wasn’t the referee who stopped Celtic winning the Treble, it was Cammy Bell, or Joe Ledley and Gary Hooper who missed sitters.

“It is disrespectful to the referee to blame him. It also assumes that the penalty will actually be scored.”
Former referee Stuart Dougal says Willie Collum made the right call on Stokes incident - Evening Times | Sport

Had a wee chuckle when Hartson said during the post match chat in the studio, regarding the claim of whether it was a penalty claim or not, Hartson says, "Stokes delays his dive". Goes against Lennon's rant!!! Slipped up there a bit bigman!

I said the same to JTH last night lol

and it was a penalty

Last edited:
Sport | Herald Scotland

No consistency shown by SFA's Compliance Officer

I would like to bring to your attention to what I believe to be a rather curious situation surrounding the SFA Compliance Officer, Vincent Lunny, and the bans he has meted out this season.

Two of the following three televised quotes earned the manager in question a touchline ban.

One of the quotes however, has (in the absence of any action otherwise) been deemed as acceptable by Mr Lunny, and the manager will face no action over the outburst.

Jim McIntyre received a two-match ban for this:

Jim McIntyre 03/12/11: "For the second goal, the ref has had a nightmare. I've just watched it on video and it was never a penalty. It was a really, really poor decision."

Stuart McCall has received a one-match ban for this:

Stuart McCall 11/03/12: "When coming off the park, I calmly spoke to Craig and said I was disappointed he had not used his game intelligence to award us a free-kick after obviously coming to the wrong conclusion by awarding the corner. He replied that he couldn't just invent a free-kick decision, which is fair comment, but it is widely used throughout football and is recognised by both players and managers when such an obvious injustice occurs. My final comment of 'when you see it on TV, you will be embarrassed' is the quote I was sent to the stands for."

No action has been taken against Neil Lennon for this:

Neil Lennon 18/03/12: "It's a stonewall penalty. It's a shocking decision, absolutely shocking. He is clean through, holding the boy off, the guy lunges at him and he takes his legs away. For me, it's a criminal decision and it has cost us the Treble. To rub salt in the wound, he books Anthony for diving, which is awful. Awful refereeing."

I think you will agree that given the quotes above (available from various online media sources), it would appear quite strange as to why Mr Lennon's comments about Willie Collum's performance at the League Cup final on Sunday are not being investigated.

It appears to me that Mr Lunny is not applying consistency in his approach.

David Wallace, by email

Maybe their waiting till after Sunday's Game before giving lennon a reprimand, but I wouldn't hold your breath. If he does get pulled, aint it a bigger ban for him this time as he's already had a couple? 6 games ban?

NEIL LENNON will have to answer to the SFA for slamming Willie Collum last weekend.

The Hoops boss was furious as the whistler booked Anthony Stokes in the final minutes of the League Cup Final defeat to Kilmarnock, insisting the striker should have had a penalty.

Lennon claimed the decision was “criminal” and felt that Collum had cost his side the chance of a Treble.

He is now set to be rapped by the SFA for his remarks and may end up with a touchline ban.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/neil-lennon-may-cop-ban-for-ref-blast-1.1154794

why does it take them the best part of a week to decide this?

why does it take them the best part of a week to decide this?

SweepUnderCarpet.jpg

Back