Killie pull off cup shock

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
_59156608_killie1.jpg

Kilmarnock pulled off a sensational shock in defeating Celtic 1-0 at Hampden Park to win the Scottish League Cup for the first time in their history.

Substitute Dieter van Tornhout provided the only goal of the game with a bullet header six minutes from time, but Killie goalkeeper Cameron Bell took the man of the match award.

Bell produced a series of top-drawer saves to deny the Bhoys throughout, with his stop from Anthony Stokes' first-half header the pick of the bunch.

Referee William Collum made a huge decision to book Stokes in injury-time, the Republic of Ireland international adjudged to have dived inside the penalty area.

The result draws a premature close to Celtic's pursuit of a domestic treble and ends an unbeaten run of 26 matches.

It was Killie's sixth attempt at winning the final and there were wild scenes of jubilation when the final whistle ended a dramatic afternoon at the national stadium.

Both sides were in their away strips but in familiar style, it was Celtic who started more confidently.

Captain Scott Brown drove wide of the target from distance with just over a minute played before an horrendous mistake by Killie defender Mo Sissoko in the fourth minute gifted the Parkhead side what would be the best chance of the half.

Under no pressure with the ball at his feet outside his own box, the big defender's sloppy pass across his back-line was intercepted by the lurking Gary Hooper.

The Celtic striker had only Bell to beat but the Killie keeper made a good block to save the blushes of his lackadaisical team-mate.

Killie, tentative and nervous, slowly worked their way into the game.

Rugby Park midfielder Dean Shiels fired wide of Fraser Forster's left-hand post moments later but it took another Bell save in the 27th minute to keep the score level.

Brown skinned Killie midfielder Garry Hay on the right wing before crossing in for Anthony Stokes to bullet a header downwards, the Irishman looking in anguish as the Killie number one dived to push the ball away at his left-hand post.

At the other end, Celtic keeper Forster made a good save from Shiels' right-footed drive from the edge of the box and from the resultant corner, Stokes cleared Sissoko's header off the line.

It was an absorbing and, at times, exciting contest but in the 39th minute Bell was called into action again when he tipped a powerful drive from the impressive Brown over the bar but the corner came to nothing.

It was becoming a tale of two keepers as Forster blocked an attempt by Killie striker Paul Heffernan just before the break, after a mistake by Celtic defender Kelvin Wilson had put the Parkhead side under pressure.

There was another early chance at the start of the second half, this time for Killie when Shiels burst into the Celtic box after getting the break of the ball.

The Northern Irishman had only Forster to beat but dreadfully mishit his shot from only six yards and ball spun wide of the target, turned back in by Rugby Park midfielder Jamie Fowler but to no avail.

The Ayrshire side enjoyed their first real concentrated spell of pressure and following a cleared Killie corner in the 54th minute Hay lobbed the ball back into the Celtic box but Sissoko, backpedalling, headed wide.

This was the cue for Neil Lennon to replace defender Thomas Rogne with midfielder Ki Sung-yueng, with Victor Wanyama moving back to defence and almost immediately the Hoops were back in control .

Just after the hour mark Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley fired wide of the target before Stokes, after making himself a yard of space inside the Killie, box shot straight at Bell.

The Kilmarnock keeper then tipped a Wanyama header over the bar following a Ki corner as the Ayrshire side's defending became increasingly desperate.

As extra-time began to loom, and legs became tired, Killie midfielder Liam Kelly fired just over the bar from the edge of the box.

Georgios Samaras replaced Hooper in the 79th minute but four minutes later Killie were dramatically ahead when Van Tornhout ran in at the back post to head Johnson's cross from the left past Forster.

The final minutes were fraught and here was time for Bell to make a double save, first from Samaras and then Kris Commons, who had come on for Ledley and for Stokes to get booked for simulation after Hoops appeals for a penalty came to nothing.

The final whistle, after four added minutes, brought roars from Killie fans whose club have now won all three major Scottish trophies.

Kilmarnock player Liam Kelly's dad suffered a heart attack right after seeing his boy win the league cup today.

what a devestating blow that is for the boy and his family, on top of the world 1 minute to fearing the worst the next.

not sure how serious it is. but hope he is ok..

Yep. Well done. The keeper played an amazing game today.

Just need to settle for a double this season. There is always next year for the treble

Kilmarnock player Liam Kelly's dad suffered a heart attack right after seeing his boy win the league cup today.

what a devestating blow that is for the boy and his family, on top of the world 1 minute to fearing the worst the next.

not sure how serious it is. but hope he is ok..

Ffs that's shocking hope he is ok.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kilmarnock midfielder Liam Kelly's dad Jack died after suffering a heart attack after watching his son's cup-winning performance over Scottish league leaders Celtic.

Thoughts go out to his family. RIP

he died a very proud man. respect to all his family. i know alot of people from kilmarnock(due to father in laws caravan in ayr.)

tainted a very remarkable cup win for a team to beat an old firm club in a cup final. it's been a long time since rangers got beat in a cup final by a middle of the road spl team. i wouldnt know how empty i would feel.

sorry for my satire. i got a TREBLE up today. won £95. then at 60 minutes during the celtic v killie game i put a tenner on killie at 10-1. HAPPY DAYS

Looks like Collum will be forced to pack it in
Death threats started on twitter
And now Lennon looking for clarification

from the scottish sun

NEIL LENNON slammed referee Willie Collum and insisted: YOU cost us the Treble.

CELTIC’S Treble dream wilted in the early spring sunshine at Hampden

Celtic lost the League Cup Final at Hampden as Kilmarnock lifted the trophy with a 1-0 win.

But boss Lennon was furious that Anthony Stokes was denied a stoppage-time penalty.

Stokes was hauled down in the box by Michael Nelson — only to be booked for DIVING.

Lennon — speaking before the tragic news that Killie star Liam Kelly's dad had died after collapsing at the end of the game — blasted: "It's a stonewall penalty. It's a shocking decision, absolutely shocking.

"He is clean through, holding the boy off, the guy lunges at him and he takes his legs away. The defender doesn't get anywhere near the ball so it's a penalty and a red card in the final minute of the game where we have banged away at the door. For me it's a CRIMINAL decision and it has cost us the Treble.

"I have only just seen the incident again there on the TV five or ten minutes ago from every angle.

"So how he can make that decision from where he was I don't know.

"To rub salt in the wounds he books Anthony for diving, which is awful. Awful refereeing."

Killie sub Dieter Van Tornhout won it with an 84th-minute header.

But Lennon insisted his Celts side did more than enough to win.

He added: "We battered away — all you want are the officials to do their jobs properly. The penalty is a penalty, he is clean through on goal and there is no way Stokes would go down clean through on goal.

"Nelson's reaction is one where he knows he has given a penalty away so he is hugely relieved. I couldn't believe the decision myself.

"I shook Willie's hand after the game because I wanted to act in a dignified manner.

"Overall he had a decent game but that is a big call in a cup final at a huge moment when we haven't much time left.

"For me he has got it wrong. I may speak to John Fleming and get his opinion. They might see it differently, but from my point of view it's a penalty."

did he really say this?,
"For me it's a CRIMINAL decision and it has cost us the Treble."

thats a bit disrespectfull to the teams left in the scottish cup, does he think he has won it? just a formality?
perhaps this is why he has a poor cup record as a manager...

freudian slip perfaps... lol

did he really say this?,
"For me it's a CRIMINAL decision and it has cost us the Treble."

thats a bit disrespectfull to the teams left in the scottish cup, does he think he has won it? just a formality?
perhaps this is why he has a poor cup record as a manager...

freudian slip perfaps... lol

Neil Lennon fumes over

that's shocking,

ok fair enough they have won the league, but to make the assumption that the scottish cup is already won as well.....

:NoNo:

Back