Is this the HDD to buy for a 5402 M2?

ChrisJN

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I posted in another thread that I have set my stb for 27.5W. This works perfectly but, I am trying the record function today and that is not coming together. As in many other threads, I am getting stuttering on recordings - mainly on HD but also on SD. I bought a 64GB Kingston Data traveller Hyper X3.0 which shows a write of 42M.

On this thread, a patch 0.32 was recommended but, I can't find this and I suppose it is included in my 110p anyway: What speed does your HDD show up as on Technmoate receiver ?

In this thread, a WD hard drive was recommended: TM5420HD Bad Recordings On HD As I don't fancy wasting more money, is this seen by everyone as a good solution? And, is it this drive: Western Digital Elements - Disco duro externo de 500 GB, Negro: Western Digital: Amazon.es: Informática

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Chris.

I have a Toshiba storE ALU 320Gb HDD, USB powered, speeds are: R&W - 108MB/S, Write 114MB/S and Read 280MB/S.

I have only recorded HD and it is quite good, but I am experimenting with different patches. The only issue I have is the following: Problem with Recorded Programmes

It is not really a big problem though.

Do you have a branch of Worten near you? They're selling a Toshiba 500GB portable HDD for 49€ & it works fine- even on fast-moving HD, just checked it on the rugby intro.
OT I know, but what was your Astra 2 setup?

Thanks. I may have experienced the same problem as you. I saw some black recordings but assumed I had screwed something up. Will investigate and let you know. Your 'quite good' comment worries me though. It seems that there may be no absolute solution but, I'd be interested to know if you get to a good solution with that hard disk.

Chris.

Do you have a branch of Worten near you? They're selling a Toshiba 500GB portable HDD for 49€ & it works fine- even on fast-moving HD, just checked it on the rugby intro.
OT I know, but what was your Astra 2 setup?
Thanks. Unfortunately, the nearest Worten is in Santander so, an hour and a half away. But, I am sure I can get the toshiba somewhere. Have you used it long?

Watching the Calcutta cup now!

Same set up for 28.2E but, we only lost the UK beam this week....

Chris.

I notice you are in Alava (north Spain) why don't use just watch 28.2E, the signal must be quite strong where you are?
Would that it were so but, the few expats up here have all lost it in the 2E move. Pan European beam is very strong but the UK spot is virtually non existent. Next option is a 1.5m dish but 27.5W is working at the moment.

Try Amazon.es: libros, cine, electrónica, videojuegos y más. good prices for HDDs.

As regards to my quite good quote, I meant that the recording quality was very acceptable, small glitches occasionally but not as good as a Sky+ HD recording, perfectly watchable though. See if you have the same issue I do with regards to having to be on the same channel to playback recordings, if so, not a drama just weird.

Would that it were so but, the few expats up here have all lost it in the 2E move. Pan European beam is very strong but the UK spot is virtually non existent. Next option is a 1.5m dish but 27.5W is working at the moment.

We would die for reception on a 1.5m dish!!

Just a quick update- I tried to push the Toshiba HDD to the limit by recording 3 HD channels simultaneously. One was showing the rugby, 2 was Olympics & 3 was YBF, all fairly quick-moving stuff, and yes, did get the occasional glitch. But, as @dantis says, perfectly watchable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update- I tried to push the Toshiba HDD to the limit by recording 3 HD channels simultaneously. One was showing the rugby, 2 was Olympics & 3 was YBF, all fairly quick-moving stuff, and yes, did get the occasional glitch. But, as @dantis says, perfectly watchable.
Great, thanks Trevor. After discussing with @dantis, I am going to pick up this one. It seems similar to me. Will let you know.
Toshiba StorE Basics (HDTB105EK3AA) - Disco duro externo de 500 GB (USB 3.0, 2.5"), negro: Amazon.es: Informática
Regards, Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks Trevor. After discussing with @dantis, I am going to pick up this one. It seems similar to me. Will let you know.
Toshiba StorE Basics (HDTB105EK3AA) - Disco duro externo de 500 GB (USB 3.0, 2.5"), negro: Amazon.es: Informática
Regards, Chris

Just an update. I bought this HDD and formatted to FAT32. The read/write speeds show as anywhere from 40Mbits to more than 100.It varies with each test so the test seems unreliable.

Anyway, tried it with HD channels and just terrible. A little more thought and I tried changing from a 1080p output to 1080i. The logic being that the box is not perfoming any adjustment to the raw signal. I now have tested three channels recording and watching another and all is perfect even recording the skeleton runs in the Olympics.

Chris.

All my hard drives have worked ok, never had it set to 1080p as theres nothing transmitted in 1080p.
Maybe thats why all my drives worked?
Thanks for update I'm sure it will help others.

All my hard drives have worked ok, never had it set to 1080p as theres nothing transmitted in 1080p.
Maybe thats why all my drives worked?
Thanks for update I'm sure it will help others.
I'm not sure I can claim to be the great thinker here though. I think somewhere in a thread, I read an idea to solve someone's problem with Sky recording and it was suggested to change the output to 720 as that is the raw signal from Sky. For me, outputting 1080p seemed slightly smoother but not significantly so 1080i is fine.

Chris.

Whilst we are on the subject of recording, can you try something please? Set a timer recording, and check to see if it recorded ok. But before playing back, put the receiver on a different channel to that you've just recorded. I'm having issues with latest patch on M1's. Thx.

Whilst we are on the subject of recording, can you try something please? Set a timer recording, and check to see if it recorded ok. But before playing back, put the receiver on a different channel to that you've just recorded. I'm having issues with latest patch on M1's. Thx.
Hi Trevor.
Yes, same problem and the same with dantis. I also get it on instant record as below and think it is probably a key problem.

Start record on channel 1.
Switch to channel 2 after 10 seconds.
Watch channel 2 for a while.
Stop recording.
Go to filelist and it looks OK but play it and after 10 seconds it goes black but, it is playing.
Stop, back to channel 1 and now it plays fine.

Chris

Yes, I have the same problem, it doesn't always occur but more often than not, you just have to remember to select the same channel as the one recorded before watching. I have found that if the recording is still in progress you can play it back from any channel. Never had a problem with the v. format, always been set to 1080i as this is what Sky HD transmits, as of yet no broadcaster transmits in 1080p. Must admit though I have played around with the 1080i/1080p setting and cannot see a noticeable difference.

Just a thought guys, surely it might be better to actually set the 5402HD to 'Auto' and let IT decide? Why set it to a specified HDD option in the first place when we have Auto?

Just a thought guys, surely it might be better to actually set the 5402HD to 'Auto' and let IT decide? Why set it to a specified HDD option in the first place when we have Auto?
Hi holmroad, I think there is misunderstanding here. I have not modified the HDD type, just the video output to the TV from 1080p to 1080i. As manic pointed out, all is broadcast at a 1080i maximum but, I assumed that the 5402 would be happy to turn this into 1080p which, in my understanding is just how the TV receives the hdmi output. It seems that when recording, it doesn't manage to sort this out correctly. Anyway, I don't see a difference between the two when watching normally, so am sticking with 1080i and am happy with that.
Thanks.
Chris.

Back