iPhone iPhone 3gs help please, constantly rebooting itself

Tony_Jay86

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, i have a iphone 3gs that has just gone faulty on me.

I was playing solitaire on it up at my brothers house, when i drained the battery to 1%, and it turned off.

When i got home, i put it on charge. It charged up enough to turn on, then about 2 minutes after, it just suddenly died, then came back on again for 2 minutes, then died and so on.

I havent jailbroke the phone, and do not wish to do so.

It is on ios 5.1 i think, i got an update notification the other day saying there is a new ios out, of which i did not upgrade to.

I also sync'd my phone with my laptop the other day, to back up all my apps etc, and it just hung on step 5 for like 20 mins, so i just unplugged it, maybe this could have something to do with it.

It would be great if i could get it back up and running, as i hate this 3g that i have been forced to use, i miss my catch up tv.

Ive also put the logic board into a known working housing as i thought it may be a battery fault, but this hasnt fixed it. I have also tried the home+power button reset and still the same.

hi mate have you try

1. Connect your iphone to your computer.

2. Shut down the your iphone.

3. Press the Power and the Home buttons at the same time.

4. After 10 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Home button

until you see a popup from iTunes saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode"

5. If you have been successful your device screen will be completely black/blank (this is 'DFU Mode')

6. You can now proceed and restore to the latest firmware using iTunes

1- Remove the SIM card from your mobile
2- Enable the (3G & cellular Data)
3- Add the SIM card again.

you want the iphone to go into recoverey mode so itunes will reconize your device then you can restore via itunes.
if you have no luck it does sound like a hardware issue, ive taken lots of 3g/s apart , and all parts and connections need to be connected 100% otherwise it causes issues like this,

hi mate have you try

1. Connect your iphone to your computer.

2. Shut down the your iphone.

3. Press the Power and the Home buttons at the same time.

4. After 10 seconds release the Power button but continue holding the Home button

until you see a popup from iTunes saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode"

5. If you have been successful your device screen will be completely black/blank (this is 'DFU Mode')

6. You can now proceed and restore to the latest firmware using iTunes

1- Remove the SIM card from your mobile
2- Enable the (3G & cellular Data)
3- Add the SIM card again.

you want the iphone to go into recoverey mode so itunes will reconize your device then you can restore via itunes.
if you have no luck it does sound like a hardware issue, ive taken lots of 3g/s apart , and all parts and connections need to be connected 100% otherwise it causes issues like this,

Apple have just stopped signing 5.0.1 on itunes, wnakers.

Well, after i posted, i switched the phone off and left it off until now.

Ive turned it on, had a quick go on monopoly hotels, fine, then i opened cityville, and about 20 seconds after opening that app/game, the phone died, then came back on.

Once the phone turned on, i updated an app, then put the stop watch on, and up until this moment in time, its reading 11 minutes and still hasnt died.

It seems very strange, id rather not do a complete restore as i dont want to lose all apps, photo's etc, and dont think ive backed everything up.

Iam going to give it a go on this cityville again and see what happens.

Thank for replying guys.

If it does carry on, then i'll restore the way you guys say.

Well, 41 minutes and counting, how strange.

Maybe it was the app that i updated that caused it?

It was called red laser.

Well, the phones back to bloody square one again. It was working fine up until the battery went flat on its own, then it started with the rebooting.

Thing is, when iam charging it, the battery is getting red hot now, but i know its not the battery, as the fault arose when it was in its original housing, unless both batteries are knackered.

I shall try the dfu restore/update when i have a little bit more time.

Iam missing my 3gs big time, this 3g is unbelievably slow compared to the 3gs,

Is there anything else i could try?

I can not get it into dfu mode, no matter how many times i try, and i do the correct procedure everytime.

When charging it, the back (battery) gets red hot, and it even cuts out and starts back up when on charge.

I can leave on charge for around an hour, the battery is red hot and will have only charged to around 25%

It is not the battery, as it does the exact same with another 3gs battery.

Basically, there isnt alot i can really do with it cutting out all the time.

If anybody can fix this, i am willing to pay for it being fixed.

I would rather send it to someone for fixing, then traveling to trafford centre and paying apple £130 for a replacement, even though it will be brand new.

When charging it, the back (battery) gets red hot, and it even cuts out and starts back up when on charge.

I can leave on charge for around an hour, the battery is red hot and will have only charged to around 25%

It is not the battery, as it does the exact same with another 3gs battery!

should ave been said sooner iphone batteries aint exposed and if they are then there either snide or ur phones in bits for research!!!!!!

Is there anything else i could try?

I can not get it into dfu mode, no matter how many times i try, and i do the correct procedure everytime.

It is not the battery, as it does the exact same with another 3gs battery.

Basically, there isnt alot i can really do with it cutting out all the time.

If anybody can fix this, i am willing to pay for it being fixed.

I would rather send it to someone for fixing, then traveling to trafford centre and paying apple £130 for a replacement, even though it will be brand new.

I believe your problem may well be the PMIC or Power Management IC. They are available from Alibaba though they are expensive. I have seen one somewhere else for around $30, I'll try to find the bookmark. I believe it is this because I had a similar problem and after exhausting all other possibilities I am facing the fact that I will probably have to replace this chip. There are some really good instructions around too but it's not for the faint hearted. You may be better off sending it to someone. You will want to price it up first though as it might be cheaper taking it to Apple and getting a replacement. If you're really lucky you can find a broken iPhone and take the chip out of that. Maybe you have a nice techy friend with the right tools and knowledge you could help you?

Good Luck :)

Well, thanx for the help guys, it is now fixed.

Basically, i put it on charge, and kept rebooting itself, as soon as it switched on, i went into settings and reset all settings, and that was it, working 100%, i upgraded to the latest ios and its been 100% since, so it didnt cost me a penny to fix.

The latest ios, said that it fixed a bug with the battery? or something like this, so my phone must have had a bug?

I must say, the battery seems alot poorer now, but dont know wether to upgrade the battery to a 2430mAh battery, or get rid and get either a 4, 4s, galaxy s2 or a galaxy note. I will probably end up with an s2, for the reasons, its cheaper then a 4, bigger screen, better camera etc etc.

So there you go, if you ever have the same problem, and your phone isnt running the latest ios, reset the settings and upgrade to the latest ios.

Glad u got it sorted mate there is a fix for the battery issue if u decide to jailbreak it

Back