Hp g6000 laptop nearly dead

lagigolo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Been given a free hp g6000 laptop by a friend who has put it into a local repair shop and the guy can't exactly confirm what it is but thinks its to do with overheating with the fan at the bottom. He was going to bin it, so i said i would have it. I can see the repair guy has had it apart as he hasn't put the screws back in too well.

Have plugged it in and have power, turned it on and keyboard etc lights up and nothing on screen but sounds like its looking for a cd. But no whirring like a normal laptop/pc sound.

I have never taken a laptop apart before, so any pointers will be great.

Update: Just removed two panels from the back, one shows the hard drive, the other bios battery & ram. I am hearing a few second gutless whir when trying to boot. So quiet i missed it earlier.

Last edited:
sounds like overheating problem if you have a look on youtube you will see a few videos of reflowing the gpu sounds like thats what needs doing this is a common fault with the nvidea chips do a reflow and put a copper shim in between the chip and the heat sink..

this method wont work for long but it may last a few months the other way is to take the chip off and reball the gpu where you take the chip off the board and replace the balls underneath...

Thanks, just watched one, looks a very common problem. Am going in, will keep you updated.

Looks like a lot of screws to reach it, so will be a good learning curve on laptop repair.

(Just tried an external monitor but nothing, so going deep.)

Reballed it in an hour and a quarter?
Did you mean you reflowed it?

I got the same one here in bits. Worked until I tried to fit the mobo back, flexing to get it back into the bottom cover was enough to kill it again.

Reflowing, made a heatsink for it from some copper tube. All fired up. Won't be able to keep it though as it was a friends, although he did say i could have it. It has all his stuff on there which he thought he had lost (which i would have got off the hard drive for him anyway.) As it may not last forever and hes already mentioned he wants a new one, i think he will back it all up, get a new one and probably give it back again. Main thing is hes back up and running again, so am happy with that.

good good yh according to some forums people say they have had them working again for around 6 months when i use to reflow them i had them last about 3-4 but to do them properly it has to be reballed...

Will let him know it won't last forever, so to keep an eye out for a decent replacement. He does spend a lot of hours using it daily, so one that will be up to it.

Back