Bus trip from hell

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I was attending University Hospital in Coventry. It's around 8 miles from my home and the bus goes round every nook and cranny on it's way there and back so usually takes an hour each way.
It was the coldest it's been in the UK for quite some time and the bus on my return trip had no heating. We were all absolutely freezing and about a mile from my journey's end I felt quite a bump. When we reached the next stop a motorist caught up with the driver to report he had hit her car. He then leaves the cab for around 5/6 minutes to sort the details out, leaving his fooking doors open.
I gave him a good ear bashing when he returned and struggled to get warm even a couple of hours after getting home. With the traffic and the rta the journey took 1hr 25m.

Back for an appointment today and came out of the treatment room in between bus times so caught a local bus into a main arterial road in Cov where I could easily catch any one of a number of buses going to my Town. Within a couple of minutes my 2nd bus appeared. I was surprised that the front elderly disabled seats were available so plonked myself down on one.
What is that fooking smell?????????? An old guy sitting on the sideways seat in front of me is sporting the worst case of BO I have ever witnessed. My eyes are drawn to his feet. He was wearing Jesus sandals with bare feet. Dirt and possibly faeces have built up layers on his feet and between his toes. I noticed a small puddle at his right foot and realised he had pissed himself.
He was sat with his head bowed and buried in his hands. I looked around for somewhere to escape to but there was none. Other passengers who were fortunate enough to have scarves had covered their nose and mouth.

It was an all electric double decker but the stairs were a no no and the cctv showed it to be full of high viz wearing youngsters on their way to work. Every now and then the air conditioning sent a wave of warm air through the bus which only served to amplify the awful aroma emanating from him. That guy needs serious help for his welfare.
He could well be homeless and trying to get warm by riding a bus , but Jeez!!! I could still smell him for an hour after getting home and that was after putting my clothes in the wash and having another shower.
2 bus trips from hell in succession. Could only happen to me. :oops:

Back for an appointment today and came out of the treatment room in between bus times so caught a local bus into a main arterial road in Cov where I could easily catch any one of a number of buses going to my Town. Within a couple of minutes my 2nd bus appeared. I was surprised that the front elderly disabled seats were available so plonked myself down on one.
What is that fooking smell?????????? An old guy sitting on the sideways seat in front of me is sporting the worst case of BO I have ever witnessed. My eyes are drawn to his feet. He was wearing Jesus sandals with bare feet. Dirt and possibly faeces have built up layers on his feet and between his toes. I noticed a small puddle at his right foot and realised he had pissed himself.
He was sat with his head bowed and buried in his hands. I looked around for somewhere to escape to but there was none. Other passengers who were fortunate enough to have scarves had covered their nose and mouth.
Feel your pain mate, almost identical circumstances for me after taking the bus to Leeds when rail strikes ment no trains.

Worst trip of my life i did feel sorry for the old fella but christ i was nearly sick the smell of stagnant piss was horrible.

About 3 weeks ago I was attending University Hospital in Coventry. It's around 8 miles from my home and the bus goes round every nook and cranny on it's way there and back so usually takes an hour each way.
It was the coldest it's been in the UK for quite some time and the bus on my return trip had no heating. We were all absolutely freezing and about a mile from my journey's end I felt quite a bump. When we reached the next stop a motorist caught up with the driver to report he had hit her car. He then leaves the cab for around 5/6 minutes to sort the details out, leaving his fooking doors open.
I gave him a good ear bashing when he returned and struggled to get warm even a couple of hours after getting home. With the traffic and the rta the journey took 1hr 25m.

It was an all electric double decker but the stairs were a no no and the cctv showed it to be full of high viz wearing youngsters on their way to work. Every now and then the air conditioning sent a wave of warm air through the bus which only served to amplify the awful aroma emanating from him. That guy needs serious help for his welfare.
He could well be homeless and trying to get warm by riding a bus , but Jeez!!! I could still smell him for an hour after getting home and that was after putting my clothes in the wash and having another shower.
2 bus trips from hell in succession. Could only happen to me. :oops:
Do you read a lot of Charles Dickens by any chance😉

Feel your pain mate, almost identical circumstances for me after taking the bus to Leeds when rail strikes ment no trains.

Worst trip of my life i did feel sorry for the old fella but christ i was nearly sick the smell of stagnant piss was horrible.
I have a good sense of smell and often catch a whiff of body odour when passing someone in the street, but this was unsurpassable. He was obviously in urgent need of care. By the time I left the bus, two stops early, I could taste him, let alone smell him.

I reckon his plan was to stay on that bus as long as possible. Perhaps until the driver realised and called some service to come and remove him and cart him off to Hospital to get the help he needed. I just hope that something like that did happen and that no-one has inadvertently sat on that seat after him.
I'm back at Hospital again on the 26th, dreading it now but will definitely give that seat a swerve even though it may be a different bus.

My Dad use to say, scruffy smelly ppl have no excuse. A bar of carbolic and needle and thread cost pennies it's laziness.

I went to the local Aldi before Christmas and as soon as I entered the store there was a strong smell of unwashed clothes B.O. a real horrible Spanish drain type smell, it was bad.

Then I noticed this guy in flip flops (snap). At first I thought he had socks on but it was dirt ingrained his feet were jet black.
I wizzed past him holding my breath but I had a list of a few bits to get but I'd no idea were everything was so I was flying all over the store.
Every corner I turned there he was, he smelt that bad you could hear it Huummmmmmmm!. I'll swear to God it was a smelly rotting flesh type smell mixed with unwashed sweaty clothes. It's a smell I remember well as I use to work in an abattoir for a short period of time as a young lad.

I got out that store asap and to be honest, I couldn't get rid of the smell till for a few days.

I don't think some people can help it? I used to work with a lad in factory that had a problem. People would complain and refuse to work with him. The agency rep would tell him to sort it, but he said he has a shower before he comes, but it doesn't stop it lol. He was a really nice lad too . :)

I don't think some people can help it? I used to work with a lad in factory that had a problem. People would complain and refuse to work with him. The agency rep would tell him to sort it, but he said he has a shower before he comes, but it doesn't stop it lol. He was a really nice lad too . :)
Huge difference between that guy and the ones that me and Silverdale spotted Dar. The neglect I seen had to have occurred over many months. Probably since the last time he was hospitalised. I also feel extremely sorry for the ones who end up cleaning them up, unimaginable.

So true Chookey, there's a big difference with a young lad overflowing with testosterone and someone overflowing with unwashed body & clothes.
I bet when that guy in my local Aldi dies they'll ask the people who live near the crematorium to close their windows, he'd probably melt

The saga continues. My appointment today was earlier than usual, 1-30pm. Studied the timetable at home yesterday and worked out my best option was to catch the 78 bus and get there 30 minutes early. Sods law always dictates that appointments fall in between bus times. I arrived at the bus station in plenty of time only to find the timetable has been altered.

My fault for not staying up to date. The 74 bus also goes to the Hospital and was due to leave in 20 minutes time, 12-20pm. It arrived more or less on time but the driver was being changed and there wasn't one available. A replacement driver showed up at 12-30 so we were already 10 minutes late.

Shortly after setting off we started to go a different route. The opposite direction of where I wanted to go. I then found out the route of this bus had been changed to include 3 large housing estates. Eventually I was the only one left on the bus. It was 1-25pm, we were 5 minutes away from the Hospital and the driver was sat at this bus stop doing some paperwork.
I left my seat and asked what time he expected to arrive and explained my appointment was in 5 minutes. He said that he wasn't supposed to leave yet but that he would and he'd make sure I get there in time.

He even drove the bus past the bus stands and dropped me off practically at the main entrance to the Hospital. This would mean that he'd have to continue up the 1 way system and make his way back to his allotted bus stand. How's that for service :p

No sooner had I reached reception when my name was called. After my treatment I came out and the 78 bus was in so finally worked out a treat. :p

Back