Linux how do i access nas/samba

I have been looking at the duo fstab file and it appears that it is mounting the cifs share into the internal flash memory in /mnt/net and not in the media files but i still cannot access the files when I point the duo at that location it is just a folder called either public or RASPBERRYPI depending on what the local share is called in the duo config

I am thinking the problem is with the VU+duo image as it was working with an earlier image but the duo suffered from from picture freezing and having to power cycle it so I have updated the image and now cannot get samba working

I am thinking the problem is with the VU+duo image as it was working with an earlier image but the duo suffered from from picture freezing and having to power cycle it so I have updated the image and now cannot get samba working

I think we could do with a VU+duo guru to help us - my area is Linux really, I'll have a prod on the forum...

Just saw your thread on the other forum. Someone else had a similar issue.

A person called Sicilian posted the following reply which I have edited slightly:
Menu > Setup > System > Network > Samba Setup.

You will be prompted to install client. I had a reboot while it checked the feeds. Installed OK on second attempt.

Last edited:
Just saw your thread on the other forum. Someone else had a similar issue.

A person called Sicilian posted the following reply:
Menu > Setup > System > Network > Install Samba.

You will be prompted to install client or server.

Edogg? I'm not on any other forum? This one is gonna need a bit of collaboration methinks!

Sorry that question was for Edogg. Apparently his image is Vix 600. I am suprised he has not got his two threads merged and answered from yesterday.

After installing Samba, you can mount through the remote. I see he had it working previouisly.

Yes, that's part of the confusion - I take it the Vix supports cifs without modification? Does it also do nfs?

Hi abu and himher just catching up on the posts I have posted this question on sat support 3 times and had loads of views but no answers I am using vix 3.0 v 600 because I was having problems of the duo freezing with other images . I have installed samba on the duo and network scan finds my Raspberry but it does not mount the files I know how to go about setting the mount up on the duo but I just cannot see the files on the samba mount folder which is /mnt/share/tv as defined in the samba ini file

when I go moviefiles>>yellow>>other>>menu>>switch to file list>>parent directory>>list of storage devices>>internal flash>>mnt/media/net that is where the raspberry is but there are no files

Last edited:
Hi abu and himher just catching up on the posts I have posted this question on sat support 3 times and had loads of views but no answers I am using vix 3.0 v 600 because I was having problems of the duo freezing with other images . I have installed samba on the duo and network scan finds my Raspberry but it does not mount the files I know how to go about setting the mount up on the duo but I just cannot see the files on the samba mount folder which is /mnt/share/tv as defined in the samba ini file

when I go moviefiles>>yellow>>other>>menu>>switch to file list>>parent directory>>list of storage devices>>internal flash>>mnt/media/net that is where the raspberry is but there are no files

just an update I made a bookmark on the /media/net/RASPBERRYPI and tried moving a file to that location it does show up but I cannot play the file

Do you have a Windows PC you could try connecting to see if Windows can see the files?

Do you have a Windows PC you could try connecting to see if Windows can see the files?

Hi yes I have 2 win xp and and my main laptop that I have done all this with which is win7

the xp asks for a username and password and when i enter them the prompt returns with the username plus raspberrypi

like this

username RASPBERRYPI\{the username I used}
password *******

the win 7 laptop says windows cannot find 192.168.0.**\Raspberrypi check the spelling and try again

I have also used public as the share name and I have mounted both shares on the DUO
but still no luck in seeing any files

Last edited:
Can you post the output of testparm and smbstatus when run on the PI?

here is the testparm and smbsatatus

Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[public]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
[global]
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[public]
comment = shared
path = /mnt/share/tv
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

Samba version 3.6.6
PID Username Group Machine
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Service pid machine Connected at
-------------------------------------------------------

No locked files

sorry about the delay again I had just uninstalled samba and done fresh install

You'll need to modify your smb.conf file - re-installing rewrote it:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = share

[public]
path = /mnt/share/tv
public = yes
writable = yes
comment = shared
guest ok = yes

Then chmod -R 777 /mnt/share/tv at the Raspberry console. Please send the result of testparm after a restart...

You'll need to modify your smb.conf file - re-installing rewrote it:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = share

[public]
path = /mnt/share/tv
public = yes
writable = yes
comment = shared
guest ok = yes

Then chmod -R 777 /mnt/share/tv at the Raspberry console. Please send the result of testparm after a restart...

the first thing that happened was failure to change the permissions of the files already on the drive in the /mnt/share/tv folder then this is the output

WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.

[global]
security = SHARE

[public]
comment = shared
path = /mnt/share/tv
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

the first thing that happened was failure to change the permissions of the files already on the drive in the /mnt/share/tv folder then this is the output

WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Loaded services file OK.

[global]
security = SHARE

[public]
comment = shared
path = /mnt/share/tv
read only = No