Linux how do i access nas/samba

still the same result as when i called the share RASPBERRYPI
mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=smbaccess //?.?.?.?/public /mnt/share

mount error: can not change directory into mount target /mnt/share
mount: mounting //192.168.*.**/public on /mnt/share failed No such file or directory

I tried changing smbaccess to the username and password i set when i setup smbaccess but with the same result

Last edited:
It's basically saying no such location exists - where did the 192.168.*.** come from? What's the actual IP of the Raspberry?

It's basically saying no such location exists - where did the 192.168.*.** come from? What's the actual IP of the Raspberry?

I missed a post Ip is 192.168.0.10 samba user = smbaccess password =firman I want to be able to play media files from the RPi so the duo should be able to see the files when i goto the file view and select the location with the yellow button which lists all the mount points

I tried calling the local share name on the vuduo public but that put it into a reboot cycle because it could not find it
i have
mount fstab
acitve enable
localshare name RASPBERRYPI
mount type CIFS share
server ip 192.168.0.10
server share mnt/share/tv [tv is the folder that sab stores the files on]
hdd no
Mount options rw,utf8
username smbaccess
password
firman

as soon as i get this working i will change my password

on the duo in location /mnt/net there is a folder called RASPBERRYPI but it is empty it is also in /media/net

Last edited:
So the mount command you typed on the Duo would have been:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /mnt/share

the reply is can't find //192.168.0.10/public/mnt/share in /etc/fstab

rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0
tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
//192.168.0.10/mnt/share/tv /media/net/RASPBERRYPI cifs username=smbaccess,password=firman,_netdev,rw,iocharset=utf8 0 0

this is the the duo's fstab

Last edited:
i edited my last post to include the fstab

I just tried editing the fstab to this
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0
tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
//192.168.0.10/mnt/share/tv /RASPBERRYPI cifs username=smbaccess,password=firman,_netdev,rw

but still not able to access the share on the duo

Okay, forget fstab for now, we need to get the basic mount process working first. Reboots will possibly cause confusion!

Just type this command at the Duo telnet session:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /mnt/share

still the same error
mount error: cannot change directory into mount target /mnt/share
mount: mounting //192.168.0.10/pubic on /mnt/share failed: No such file or directory

in case i made a typo i left the space out between public/mnt/share and it says cannot find public/mnt/share in fstab

Check the command spelling carefully and that the directory /mnt/share exists on the Duo

The command should be:

(space between public and /mnt/share) then try:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /mnt

(space between public and /mnt)

Check the command spelling carefully and that the directory /mnt/share exists on the Duo

The command should be:

(space between public and /mnt/share) then try:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /mnt

(space between public and /mnt)

I have lost the mount on the duos internal hdd after doing the second command but i can now see the raspberry usb drive but only that folder and files

Reboot the Duo and remove the fstab entry for cifs - summat odd happening here.

Create a new directory on the Duo at root level called raspberry then run this:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /raspberry

I have lost the mount on the duos internal hdd after doing the second command but i can now see the raspberry usb drive but only that folder and files

and now the duo is on a reboot loop

I am reflashing the duo that last command wiped out all the mounts i.e the internal hdd and the usb for the picons and epg data but i could use the raspberry files

Reboot the Duo and remove the fstab entry for cifs - summat odd happening here.

Create a new directory on the Duo at root level called raspberry then run this:

mount -t cifs -o username=smbaccess,password=firman //192.168.0.10/public /raspberry
the same result except now it says failed on raspberry no such file or directory

visitors just arrived so I am going to have leave it for now thanks for your help

Back