Gypsies On Benefits And Proud

Fact? Please don't use that word unless you know what you're talking about. :NoNo:

The Irish immigration numbers to the UK, 1840-1900 are in the hundreds of thousands. It's estimated that at least 100,000 Russian Jews arrived in Britain in the 19th Century. In the 17th Century around 50,000 Huegenots sought refuge here as did about 13,000 German Palatines.

I could go on. (I won't)

Ill let Douglas Murry answer that

Immigration is Bad For Britain | Douglas Murray - YouTube

Fact? Please don't use that word unless you know what you're talking about. :NoNo:

The Irish immigration numbers to the UK, 1840-1900 are in the hundreds of thousands. It's estimated that at least 100,000 Russian Jews arrived in Britain in the 19th Century. In the 17th Century around 50,000 Huguenots, can sought refuge here as did about 13,000 German Palatines.

I could go on. (I won't)
I'll assume that comes from research, not personal experience.:Biggrin2:

The relevance is questionable (still,we're way beyond that), but the comparison is interesting.
Allowing for the vague time frame, the numbers were insignificant even in relation to the then indigenous population, and may well have been helpful during
an empire building period when manpower was essential for control it. Had any such immigrants tried to aggressively pursue change then, for their
benefit, it would not have been tolerated. I don't long for the days of empire, and have never realistically known it, but technology aside, our quality
of life seems to be going backwards, as our imports increase. Blaming immigrants is a knee jerk reaction, but that doesn't necessarily always make it wrong.
If I see a man limping, it's reasonable to assume there's something wrong with his leg. Not always right, but only a poor doctor would look elsewhere first.

We're a tiny country, we couldn't feed ourselves when a good proportion were fighting overseas. We need imports to survive as it is, not yet more mouths to feed.
An underlying problem, swept under the carpet with the national debt. The culture clash is manageable, and with less of the current tolerance, would be transitory.
It was in your example, don't think I've ever met a Huguenot, so I can't be sure.:Biggrin2:

The Irish immigration numbers to the UK, 1840-1900 are in the hundreds of thousands. It's estimated that at least 100,000 Russian Jews arrived in Britain in the 19th Century. In the 17th Century around 50,000 Huegenots sought refuge here as did about 13,000 German Palatines.

I could go on. (I won't)

but arnt the times you mention and the fact that the gypsies have stated they only come here for an easy life with free everything two different things ?
sorry nara

but arnt the times you mention and the fact that the gypsies have stated they only come here for an easy life with free everything two different things ?
sorry nara

My post was an accurate rebbutal of the 'fact' quoted and was relevant to the pre-1900 era quoted in the so called 'fact'. It had nothing whatsoever to do with gypsies.

edogg made a sensible post which was countered with nonsense. We need accuracy if we want sensible debate.

ty for clearing that up thought you were comparing the two situations
unfortunately there will be some total bs posted in all threads
it is the nature of man to see but one side

Potato Famine - the reason my family is here!

...and mine. :)

I've no real idea of my family origin, it's here now, and my "roots" were never more than a passing interest. My surname is apparently
of welsh or jewish derivation. I don't look like my idea of what's typical for either, so I checked my family tree when it was more of a fad.
A smattering of Aarons on my father's side in the mid 19th century was the only jewish connection, but my father had no such religion.
My mother was religious in a quiet way (I only found out when we were both older) but as children we were encouraged to decide later,
though the conventions of the time were observed. The only reason my children were christened was to satisfy their grandparents.
Beyond that, their own choice, as it was for us. Neither are religious, and they straddle 40. I think they've made their own minds up.:)

Getting back to the op (now we've rambled all around it), if anyone disagrees, I've not seen much so far, except a few intangibles.
Too many, too fast, and no longer in our control, sums up the facts. Call it xenophobia, or whatever you like, but it's time for change.

Hmm, thinking the WNs have a point afterall. I'm a white natural born citizen of the US, and it's so hard to get a job, while all of these non whites are getting jobs handed to them because they're "oppressed minorities"

Hmm, thinking the WNs have a point afterall. I'm a white natural born citizen of the US, and it's so hard to get a job, while all of these non whites are getting jobs handed to them because they're "oppressed minorities"
This used to be called "positive" discrimination, not sure if it still is. As far as I'm aware, open practice is limited - at least in the UK - as it does breed resentment in the workforce and job seekers.

Whilst I understand the ideals behind it, it should be the best person for the job rather than an HR tick box. Though, obviously, there is no reason why you can't be both...

This used to be called "positive" discrimination, not sure if it still is. As far as I'm aware, open practice is limited - at least in the UK - as it does breed resentment in the workforce and job seekers.

Whilst I understand the ideals behind it, it should be the best person for the job rather than an HR tick box. Though, obviously, there is no reason why you can't be both...

Positive discrimination is certainly still used by Councils and the Police Force and has been since at least the 1980's.

Back