ethernet problem

J

joe.kom

it may well be something that i have done but can not get a connection have turned of the fire wall , taken out the wireless card , and tried a twisted and straight cable but no joy , any advise would be great .

joe.kom said:
it may well be something that i have done but can not get a connection have turned of the fire wall , taken out the wireless card , and tried a twisted and straight cable but no joy , any advise would be great .
http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37665

have a read at faz tuts on this post, let me know where u get stuck.

u need a cross over cable, just go at maplins and ask for one if u dont know what it looks like.

regards
akariz

use both the null modem and crossover cable

let us know how you get on

faz

still cant get it to work not even on my main computer, i think the ethernet on the box may be faulty because neither of my net work cards light up when i plug the cable in. i have tried on 98 and xp , has any one else had this prob?? If i am correct would it be worth me buying a eg 7010 ethernet chip and replacing the one in the box? I'm thinking it could be this , if i am going to deep please stop me... cheers

too deep m8 more likley you have not set up correctly
dbox
settings network
set ip to 192.168.0.5
sub net will autoset
set broadcast to 192.168.0.5
set default gateway named server to 192.168.0.2

pc in network settings set the tcp/ ip manualy to
ip address 192.168.0.2
subnet will autoset
default gateway to 192.168.0.2
dns server addres to 192.168.0.2
you may have to change to half duplex 10 but mines works ok on auto
load up flash fxp
click quick connect
put dbox isp in server or unit box 192.168.0.5
user root
password dbox2
if you have done this now you should be connected.

ok still no good, thought i had broken the box so got another also in debug off ebay 84 quid. however still having the same prob, let me explain . i have set the network setting as in all the guides but when i plug my twisted cable in i dont get aything on the network card no lights ,this is vey confussing because even if i had set the network up wrong i would still expect the lights ,the cards do work as they are what i use daily. apart from that i cannot ping the box ip ,whats going on any help will be great has any one else ever had this happen

i had a similar problem thru a router (dlink wireless)

Initallly i could'nt talk to my dbox at all, but after repeating the same procedure several times, and several reboots, to the pc and dbox, it started working,

However the activity lights on the hub didn't illuminate, but i could still ping, and ftp to the box.

I assume you've disabled any firewall software?

Back