Challenge for you all

menacez

Inactive User
Reaction score
Box: Sagem 1x

I have searched through a lot of threads and tried various methods to try and fix my chirping sagem.

The problem only occurs on encrypted channels after about 15-20mins where the box will begin to freeze and chirp at the same time. I can flick back to free-to-air channels and the chirping goes away but comes back as soon as I switch back to an encrypted channel - It will not auto-recover and a reboot is needed to fix.

NOTE: The same behaviour occurs when streaming from the dbox to a PC (chirping/freezing) so I know it can't be the avia chip.

Here's what I have tried already:

Images (new & old) that all result in the above:

- Boxcracker (for unreliable sagems)
- Commando 8.2
- Donv2 & Donv4
- Sportster 1.10 rc006
- Cryo_Sportster_Pro_1.02_Ultra1.3b_1x
- Pacino 1.0
- Laky
- Don's New Enigma image with Neutrino skin

...and the list goes on.

Signal:

BER/SNR/SIG: 100/62000/24000

NOTE: Also have a nokia Dbox in the other room which works perfectly so can't be a signal issue. Have tried attentuators to reduce the signal but results are the same.

Hardware:

- Removed the lid
- Tried the peg trick as mentioned by Printer to act as a heat sink on the tuner chip.
- Removed modem
- Removed card readers
- Removed cable feed and plugged back in.
- Slightly removed cable feed.
- firmly pushed down the tuner into the motherboard just incase it was slightly dislodged.
- Verified voltage output from PSU - 12.18-12.19v before and during the chirping (From psxnet PSU doco and PT1s guide on sagem PSU faults)

NOTE: If it was heat related, why would a reboot fix the chirping for another 15-20mins?

Software Settings (Have rebooted box after making any change):

- Disabling Hardware sectiond
- Enabling/Disabling SPTS mode
- Avia driver set to old and new (avia600vb028)

Ucodes:

Ucodes 00013/00014. For some reason, using Ucode 0001A on ANY image results in "channel not available" for all channels.

Camds:

- Tried Evocamd/MgCamd/Newcamd

Channel:

- Tried changing to MTV Base as reported in one post to fix chirping without a reboot.

Avia/Enx settings as confirmed by MGB (DW Guru) :) :

1)
enx reset -> on
enx timer -> 8

2)
Enx Framer Channel Reset -> on
Enx F. Channel Reset Timer -> 8

3)
avia watchdog and enx watchdog are enabled in the misc settings.

4)
avia600 driver set to old.

If it was a hardware issue, surely this would also happen on free-to-air channels? With my limited knowledge of the bootlog, I have attached it (with Ucode 14 enabled) to this thread for the experts to decipher :)

cheers,
Menacez

Last edited:
Try disabling Hardware sections (I think that's what it's called) in the system settings.

Also I read that chirping can be related to dry caps on the power supply. If you can get a hold of a replacement PSU you could swap it out.

Try disabling Hardware sections (I think that's what it's called) in the system settings.

Also I read that chirping can be related to dry caps on the power supply. If you can get a hold of a replacement PSU you could swap it out.

Hi mate,

Thanks for replying. Just looked at that and its already disabled. With regards to dry caps, could it really be a hardware fault bearing in mind that all is ok on free-to-air chans?

Thanks,
Menacez

Just passing on what I read. Running an emu requires more memory and possibly a greater load on the power supply.

Just passing on what I read. Running an emu requires more memory and possibly a greater load on the power supply.

Sure mate, thanks for that. That parts gonna be tricky since I don't have Dbox spares at hand :-( ...

Appreciate if anyone has any further comments though.

Cheers,
Menacez

@menacez
Try mgcamd or newcamd.
Try a newer sportster pro image with the chip settings posted above.
If you switch to a other channel that settings cause a reset of the enx chipset.

Have you tried an Enigma image? The interface is very much an aquired taste, but they have been known to work wonders for difficult boxes, and are generally considered much more stable than Neutrino based images.

@menacez
Try mgcamd or newcamd.
Try a newer sportster pro image with the chip settings posted above.
If you switch to a other channel that settings cause a reset of the enx chipset.

Thanks for that mgb. Using Sporster 1.10 rc006 image:

- changed enx reset -> on and rebooted caused the image to show "no channels were found"-changing it back to off solves it (all chans come back) so I guess I need to change to use another sporster image 005 right?

This setting change worked on cryo 1.02 image.

Cheers,
Menacez

Have you tried an Enigma image? The interface is very much an aquired taste, but they have been known to work wonders for difficult boxes, and are generally considered much more stable than Neutrino based images.

Hello mate, well to be honest I did put an enigma image on the box but got pissed off with the interface.

Do you recommend any engima image for a sagem 1x?

Cheers,
Menacez

Last edited by a moderator:
like you menacez i had exactly the same issues with a sagem1x, for over a year i tried everything i read to try and solve the problem, alas to no avail, in the end i bought a nokia as i was so fed up rebooting the sagem every 15 mins, especially when footie was on, like devilfish said it might be a psu problem or a tuner problem as i have read also, i too tried every image available( became a dab hand at flashing lol), any way had no problems with the nokia.........good luck

For these kind of boxes I use a JackTheGrabber Image running G**x Emu and they work fine. Try the same box with commando or anything else and they chirp ...

Had the same problem - then it just went away. I tried switching off the network connection so it dosent start on boot and it must have freed up some memory / power or something. Bit of a problem if you need it to stream though :(

I always found sportster 1.75 the one fot 1x boxes

There is a Dons Enigma image by mrdontay which has a neutrino skin so it should have all the stability that enigma gives you but the look of a neutrino image.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/index.php?resources/845/

Thanks for the pointer m8. I did like the engima with the neutrino skin (great stuff by Don as usual) but unfortunately, box started chirping within 5mins. Same results as the neutrino image where its stable on FTA channels but not on encrypted ones.

Did try disabling hardware sectionsd/watchdog etc but no joy.

Good idea though, please keep them coming :)

For these kind of boxes I use a JackTheGrabber Image running G**x Emu and they work fine. Try the same box with commando or anything else and they chirp ...

Thanks for responding mate. This sounds promising and I did check the download section but can't see a JackTheGrabber 1x image anywhere - Since its squashfs the 2x image can't be converted :-/

Appreciate if you have it handy m8...

Cheers,
Menacez

Had the same problem - then it just went away. I tried switching off the network connection so it dosent start on boot and it must have freed up some memory / power or something. Bit of a problem if you need it to stream though :(

I always found sportster 1.75 the one fot 1x boxes

ok so I tried disabling the network and rebooting but the result is the same m8...

what cam r u using at the mo? evocamd or mgcamd - try playing with those to see if there is any difference, otherwise signal booster from maplins (probably not signal but cant hurt) what is your memory layout type - you can check this on the debug screen on boot

what cam r u using at the mo? evocamd or mgcamd - try playing with those to see if there is any difference, otherwise signal booster from maplins (probably not signal but cant hurt) what is your memory layout type - you can check this on the debug screen on boot

Hi mate,

I've tried all three cams; newcamd, evocamd and mgcamd. Also updated to the latest evocamd 2.14 but still the same.

Mem layout is as follows:

debug: B/Ex/Fl(MB) 32/00/08
CPU: PPC823ZTnnB2 at 66 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache
Board: DBOX2, Sagem, BMon V1.2
Watchdog enabled
I2C: ready
DRAM: 32 MB
FLASH: 8 MB

True; I could get a signal booster but since I have a nokia on the same feed which doesn't suffer from the prob, not sure whether its a signal issue here...

Like hawkish says..the cryo sportster 1.75 uk...is the best image for that box..goodluck pal...

i have tried signal booster, enigma, sportsters, boxcracker etc just about every image, even with booster still chirps and freezes after 15-20mins, but ok on fta channels, as i mentioned earlier it did my head in for over a year lol,

Back