Armistice Day poppy-burning demo 'sickened' observer

Am i the only one who sees the irony in this thread? "our soldiers fought to preserve our freedom of speech" etc, but then "these guys are saying things we don't like, kick them out". Do you want this country to become the next North Korea? Granted, you'd have got rid of the people with different views as you, but then you'd be put on trial for supporting Man Utd, or slagging off the latest ep of Eastenders or making a joke about the royal family. The soldiers of the world wars fought for everyone's freedom, not just yours.

Am i the only one who sees the irony in this thread? "our soldiers fought to preserve our freedom of speech" etc, but then "these guys are saying things we don't like, kick them out". Do you want this country to become the next North Korea? Granted, you'd have got rid of the people with different views as you, but then you'd be put on trial for supporting Man Utd, or slagging off the latest ep of Eastenders or making a joke about the royal family. The soldiers of the world wars fought for everyone's freedom, not just yours.
Dont have a problem with anyone protesting but when you are directly abusing our troops who are dying in a theatre of war its completely different from protesting against the poloticians who sent them there,troops dont have a choice they do what they are told ,they signed on the paper to serve queen and country and our country should protect them not the poloticians

Dont have a problem with anyone protesting but when you are directly abusing our troops who are dying in a theatre of war its completely different from protesting against the poloticians who sent them there,troops dont have a choice they do what they are told ,they signed on the paper to serve queen and country and our country should protect them not the poloticians

Fair point mate, but you have to look at it both ways. As you may have noticed, Muslims have a strong sense of togetherness, so if their innocent bretheren are falling in Iraq and Afghanistan, under the biggest bullshit excuse for a war in history, how do you think they feel? Suddenly, talking ill about soldiers isn't as serious when your own are being slaughtered for nothing now is it?

eastenders is not real but peoples lifes are real and no matter what happens in this country free speech is free speech but hatred and encouragement of hurting others is no free speech. "British soldiers burn in hell" and burning of poppys is such an insult to this country no matter.

we need to look at the offence and if someone is dead against something like war then make it peaceful if not then they are creating war themselves so why protest war to create war sounds really weird to me - or is there some sort of motive behind it all

poppys and british troops deserve so much i think they should make it that all people should join the british army for a min of 5 years just so they get to understand what it means and stand for and then the british troops will get the respect it deserves

Actually, its one and the same thing !

Whilst I do agree that its the politicians that should take the flack its an unfortunate reality that protests aimed directly at political decisions rarely gets any real news coverage. The direct result of this is that the protesters are forced into making more 'newsworthy' statements in order to get their points across. Its partly the fault of the press by continuously seking more and more sensationalist stories in preference to the mundane but its also our own fault for preferring those sensationalist stories !

I also suggest using the word 'abuse' in rather too strong. Its a very emotive word and is not really suited to the context in which you use it. Abuse implies 'serious harm' whilst I really doubt that such a minor incident would bother most soldiers in the slightest. In fact, apart from a bit of press hype and some over-reaction by people like yourself I doubt this particular protest has even registered for the majority.

As far as I see it, as long as people stay within the law then they are free to protest in any way they see fit. Remember the idea of a political protest is to make people feel uncomfortable about decisions that are being made in their name - its not meant to be a jolly afternoon walk through a park !

Actually, its one and the same thing !

Whilst I do agree that its the politicians that should take the flack its an unfortunate reality that protests aimed directly at political decisions rarely gets any real news coverage. The direct result of this is that the protesters are forced into making more 'newsworthy' statements in order to get their points across. Its partly the fault of the press by continuously seking more and more sensationalist stories in preference to the mundane but its also our own fault for preferring those sensationalist stories !

I also suggest using the word 'abuse' in rather too strong. Its a very emotive word and is not really suited to the context in which you use it. Abuse implies 'serious harm' whilst I really doubt that such a minor incident would bother most soldiers in the slightest. In fact, apart from a bit of press hype and some over-reaction by people like yourself I doubt this particular protest has even registered for the majority.

As far as I see it, as long as people stay within the law then they are free to protest in any way they see fit. Remember the idea of a political protest is to make people feel uncomfortable about decisions that are being made in their name - its not meant to be a jolly afternoon walk through a park !

to say the suggest the soldiers and politicians are one and the same just shows how much shit you are spewing.
Rememberence Sunday is to reckognise the war dead and sacrifices the soldiers and others have made through the yrs to allow people to protest.
If it wasnt for all these nasty hero's we would all be speaking German now and wouldnt be allowed to even have the opportunity to discuss this.
You are obviously a twat who likes cotnroversy so i will say no more on it .
I realise the implacation of what i have just posted but idiots like you shouldnt provoke reactions and prob because you are a mod i will get backlash

In fact, apart from a bit of press hype and some over-reaction by people like yourself I doubt this particular protest has even registered for the majority.

Wise words. :Clap:

If the media had the self-restraint and common sense to ignore these people they would soon fade away. Publicity is what they feed on.

(self-restraint and common sense? The British media? :wtf: am I talking about? :( )

I think you have misunderstood what Nozzer is saying Chronoman - sorry mate but that is the problem with these sorts of threads: hot blood leads to misunderstandings.

I think you have misunderstood what Nozzer is saying Chronoman - sorry mate but that is the problem with these sorts of threads: hot blood leads to misunderstandings.

Agreed. It does help though if you read a post properly and think about it rather than just jump in all guns blazing.

Agreed. It does help though if you read a post properly and think about it rather than just jump in all guns blazing.

And there is no need to jump into someone elses argument.. like you always do.

Why not? The germans have compulsory military service.. Granted its being abolished in the summer.. but surely it hasnt effected their army in any way??

Article to back up my statement Germany to abolish compulsory military service | World news | The Guardian

hmm, have you ever seen any of the 'conscripted' troops from Germany, France or any EU country ?

Not exactly the best advert for a 'professional' army !

For instance, in France its not uncommon for university graduates to spend the whole of their military service teaching conscripted 'grunts' basic literacy. Its generally accepted that a lot of conscription in the EU is to give a basic education to make up for the basic education that they've already failed !

to say the suggest the soldiers and politicians are one and the same just shows how much shit you are spewing.

I'm guessing you either didn't read my reply fully or didn't understand what I was saying. Perhaps you should try reading it again !

Rememberence Sunday is to reckognise the war dead and sacrifices the soldiers and others have made through the yrs to allow people to protest.

afaik, i've never disagreed with that statement. But NOTE the last four words you've added. People must be allowed to protest otherwise what was the point of all that sacrifice ???

If it wasnt for all these nasty hero's we would all be speaking German now and wouldnt be allowed to even have the opportunity to discuss this.

I'll take that as a rant rather than any form of logical argument. I cant see that it actually contributes anything to your arguments either way.

You are obviously a twat who likes cotnroversy so i will say no more on it .

lol, i've been called far worse things and no doubt I will be again but if your really going to resort to petty name-calling then at least do me the courtesy of reading my posts properly before commenting.

I realise the implacation of what i have just posted but idiots like you shouldnt provoke reactions and prob because you are a mod i will get backlash

When I post substantive replies in a thread then I do so as just another forum member. I dont abuse moderation powers just to win an argument !

I'm guessing you either didn't read my reply fully or didn't understand what I was saying. Perhaps you should try reading it again !

afaik, i've never disagreed with that statement. But NOTE the last four words you've added. People must be allowed to protest otherwise what was the point of all that sacrifice ???

I'll take that as a rant rather than any form of logical argument. I cant see that it actually contributes anything to your arguments either way.

lol, i've been called far worse things and no doubt I will be again but if your really going to resort to petty name-calling then at least do me the courtesy of reading my posts properly before commenting.

When I post substantive replies in a thread then I do so as just another forum member. I dont abuse moderation powers just to win an argument !

having read the post several times i feel i do understand ,i wholeheartedly stand by what i said with the exception of the personal attack which there was no need for and which i apologise for.
I feel very strongly on this subject and believe there is no other country in the world that would allow this to happen.
Its my last statement on the subject but please accept my apology

......and believe there is no other country in the world that would allow this to happen.

....and that surely is the whole point. That this is one of the worlds few functioning democracies where such things can and do happen. I see that as a positive and its one of the things that makes me proud to be British !

I see the right to demonstrate in whatever bizzare manner we choose (as long as its not violent) as being a fundamental part of what makes this country what it is.

For me, the rights or wrongs of this particular demonstration are irrelevant. Whats important is the fact that they have the right to hold their views, exactly as I have the right to hold my views and you have the right to hold yours !

Last edited:
Back