Almost another species?

I had one in 2012, first where I was completely to blame. Bodywork is horrendously expensive (or appears so via insurance).
According to the main dealer repairer, mine cost £3000 ish, only paid £4650 for the car 7 months earlier, surprised they didn't write it off.
Excellent repair though, couldn't tell the difference. I had a protected NCB, but the loss of pride stung a bit.
Hope you don't have another, but at least it won't be the first, not much consolation.:(

Well car is probably worth about €1200 here,if repair is any more then €500,then I will have to decide whether to fix or scrap,I would imagine it will be classed as an NCT (Irish MOT) failure because of the sharp edge on the rip,but at least thats not up till August,

If I'm honest apart from the obvious expense,its my pride thats hurt more :(

Well car is probably worth about €1200 here,if repair is any more then €500,then I will have to decide whether to fix or scrap,I would imagine it will be classed as an NCT (Irish MOT) failure because of the sharp edge on the rip,but at least thats not up till August,

If I'm honest apart from the obvious expense,its my pride thats hurt more :(

Tricky balance then, will make more sense when you get quotes. Doesn't sound structural, fill it yourself, sand down, then cheapest spray job?

Loss of pride does hurt, remember it well, and that sinking feeling when you first get out to have a look!

Dont think a fill and sand will work on this m8 :(

Attachments

• IMG_20140305_114105.jpg
    IMG_20140305_114105.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20140305_114114.jpg
    IMG_20140305_114114.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20140305_114128.jpg
    IMG_20140305_114128.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 10
Dont think a fill and sand will work on this m8 :(

See what you mean, certainly not Chipsaway, more like Wheeler Dealers, but from a test pov (allowed here?) the rear cut is the main problem.
If it's not double skin, a few minutes from a panel beater (or even diy) will make it fairly easy to fill, reinforced with a few layers of grp on the inside (no real stress).
If it is double skin, they use a self tapper and slide hammer gizmo, or tack weld equivalent (more expensive), with a sort of stitch weld outside.
Doesn't look structural, and if they can't see it on a test...... Modern practice is panel change, except for car sharks.

The cosmetic side is really personal choice. Spraying is the expensive bit, courtesy of Elf and Safety, so I'm told. Pita though, something sharp on that pillar.
The rest looks in pretty good condition. Bit of a juggling act. Get quotes, then balance against NCB loss, claim excess, resale value depending on repair quality etc.
Do you like the car, likely service life, just a "disposable" runabout? I had my old BMW for 17 years, a minor bump, ridiculously expensive to repair, not the shunt
in my earlier post. Did the "sensible" thing, but it's the best car I ever had, went through a car auction for peanuts, always bitterly regretted.
It's easier now, would be long gone to rust anyway. I do ramble on......!:)

Edit:- shame on you, what's it got to do with the OP!:Biggrin2:

Just got a quote for €700 :(

Anyway sorry for taking the thread off topic :)

:Sorry: Ouch! What about a cheap repair covered with a body stripe kit?

No you aint lol

At this moment it's looking like gaffer tape over the bad bit,to try reduce any rust, drive it till nearer the NCT and then decide

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

Just got a quote for €700 :(

:Anyway sorry for taking the thread off topic )

Wasn't a problem, just a bit of irony. It's been off topic since post #2 really.:Biggrin2:

Very likely for the better, apart from your misfortune.

Wasn't a problem, just a bit of irony. It's been off topic since post #2 really.:Biggrin2:

Very likely for the better, apart from your misfortune.

Lol I wasn't apologizing because of your remark, I knew that was tongue in cheek,

But I did take it off topic a bit ;)

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

Second hand door from scrapyard ? the wheel arch is still in shape so some P40 fibreglass to fill it and some P38 to finish it off and it should be ok.
I used to have a body shop and although its not what we would have done its a cheap way to repair it.

Back