s11 power supply shot?

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My sisters box was flickering for a week and then all of a sudden switched off and now won't recieve any power.

Is it true that this is a documented problem with these boxes? and is there a way to replace the power supply or am I to replace the whole thing?

Cheers in advance

Crazy

Hey guys,

My sisters box was flickering for a week and then all of a sudden switched off and now won't recieve any power.

Is it true that this is a documented problem with these boxes? and is there a way to replace the power supply or am I to replace the whole thing?

Cheers in advance

Crazy

If you look in ebay a power supply board will cost you about £14 a new box would cost about £50 so it is up to if you think it is better to replace power supply board or the box also to bear in mind that something else might have gone wrong too.

Thanks for the reply's fellas.

My dilemma is that my sister is on the other side of the country. and it's hassle getting a new box, flashing it and sending it to her.
If the power supply is an easy swap I can just get her to do it?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers again

Trying to get someone to take out old power board and replacing it with a new one, when they have no experience best of luck with that.

you will be going to a funeral on the other side of the country.
Just because you buy a new power supply doesn't mean it will be better,it could have the same yucky parts as the original power supply had.

the power connectors may be glued down and you have to scrape the glue off to get the connector apart.

If your mate is handy with a soldering iron he could try replacing the usual suspects on the power board. I done this for mate of mine last month. The two capacitors with red dots were replaced. If there is a tv repair shop handy it might be worth taking it there for them to do for a small fee. Just another option really :)

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 9
  • before 2.jpg
    before 2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 7
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 7
Old thread I know but my nephew has an S11 that stopped working, the person he purchased it off said out of warranty even though it was only 6 or so months old so I had a look at it and straight away noticed the bulging capacitors, C11 and C15 which are 1000uF and 470uF, respectively.

Went out and got the caps, cost the princely sum of 36p from a local electronics store and replaced them and the box is now working.

I actually replaced the caps with slightly higher voltage caps, the originals were only rated for 10v so I used 16v ones instead as I'm sure that apart from the original caps being really crap the voltage rating of 10v may be another factor why they fail.

Back