Zx81

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Did any of you have a ZX81 back in the day (probably 1981? lol)

Must have been one of the first home computers? with no less than 1k of RAM lol

I remember me and my cousin typing in a game program from a computer magazine, after a page of characters, every time you went to type another, the previous one would dissapear, after much puzzlement we realised you needed the large 16k RAMpack :)

We then found a smaller program, after typing it in and looking at the artists impresion of the game, i was expecting it to be something eqivilant to Space Invaders in calibre. Was i dissapointed? There was a dot moving down the screen and you had to move another dot into it to stop it reaching the bottom. lol it was only then that i realised you had to put a lot in to get little out. Respest to the program writers.

my mates dad had one, the only game i remember was called 'swamp' or something. it was a "you are in a clearing, there's a path to the north and south, which way?' text adventure - but we loved it! the zx81 was black, never knew anyone with the white zx80

Yeah, self build kit that my electronic engineer uncle helped put together. Had the extra 'proper' keyboard with it.

Taught myself how to code on it. Remember typing in frogger in assembly language for a few hours then it crashing before I saved it, lol

I've got a ZX81. I grabbed it off eBay a few years ago. :)

I paid a fiver for it as it was unboxed and sold as seen, seller couldn't confirm whether or not it worked.

Only the actual computer was supplied, no PSU, cables or anything, but I managed to power it from a cheap £2.99 variable PSU. :)

I'd love to start collecting the more obscure machines like the Oric 1, Dragon32, Lynx (not that Atari thing), Tandy TRS and the TI-99.

I always thought the Texas Instruments TI-99 looks sexy as fook. I nearly ended up with one of those instead of a C64, thank fook I didn't. :)

Back