xp wireless...disable windows wireless

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what am i doing wrong on me mates pc.

he has a router and it's wireless and yet when i got to networks there are none found.

i know I've done loads with netgear where you had to have the hardware installed before you installed the software but this is a lap top....linksys i think..any ideas.

i remember when i had a wireless card in the pc and i had to tell windows not to use it's own system but the other one if you know what i mean?

sure there was an option to disable windows wireless.......

If the Linksys software is installed then it should have an icon on the taskbar, if you right click it then there should be an option to use Linksys for connection. If not on taskbar try start/programs and see if the Linksys software is there. I always prefer windows to run my network.

what am i doing wrong on me mates pc.

he has a router and it's wireless and yet when i got to networks there are none found.

i know I've done loads with netgear where you had to have the hardware installed before you installed the software but this is a lap top....linksys i think..any ideas.

i remember when i had a wireless card in the pc and i had to tell windows not to use it's own system but the other one if you know what i mean?

sure there was an option to disable windows wireless.......

lots of things could be wrong.

Router end you need to check that the router is enabled to broadcast it's ssid.

if it is then i suggest turning off all encryption wep/wpa or whatever is being used. Make sure mac filtering is disabled too. Also check what channel the router is on use a channel like 1 or 11 as these are used less than others and it cuts down on conflicts.

Laptop end make sure the wireless is turned on and that the wireless connection is enabled too.

I know i did a laptop a few weeks ago after having a good look at it ,it turned out the laptop did not support the encryption method of the router so i had to turn the encryption down on the router ,best thing to do is to see if it picks it up with the encryption turned off on the router

lots of things could be wrong.

Router end you need to check that the router is enabled to broadcast it's ssid.

yes its called jarvo

if it is then i suggest turning off all encryption wep/wpa or whatever is being used.

turned off

Make sure mac filtering is disabled too.

ill check

Also check what channel the router is on use a channel like 1 or 11 as these are used less than others and it cuts down on conflicts.

ch 6

Laptop end make sure the wireless is turned on and that the wireless connection is enabled too.

yeah can see the icon...wasnet started in services so i have...

windows wirless network will not find any......

when we try and install the software we get

mowax-4.jpg

and i've looked and there is nothing on the net about it.

is it coz he plugged it all in before we installed the software ? i know netgear was like that.....

thats a good idea, going to take my router and my laptop over and see if i can connect 1st using my laptop/phone etc.

thing is when you do a search then it instantly says no networks found but it's worth us doing a system restore before he installed that dam software disk etc.

all sorted, went and had a look at his lap top and got it working, me is thinking he didn't have the wireless button pressed down......

That's the most common fault lol. Wireless switch on the laptop not switched on

well we were doing it all remote and he assured me that he had it pressed, how ever when i got there i did notice that pressing the button actually done nothing and there was no light to indicate that the wireless was turned on.

How ever after a bit of tinkering with services.msc and having a look in there i set it to auto, messed around with a few other options of the wireless adapter and rebooted and the linksys software found the network.

Was still unable to get windows to find any networks but i think that's because he had installed the linksys disk.

I've seen it so many times before where other software controls the wireless after people have messed about with installation disks.

Any way thanks to all...sorted.

Back