x-mass turkey

buzzer

Staff member
Reaction score
x-mass day is almost upon us.
as it will be the first x-mass dinner i have had at home in over ten years i am looking to make it a good one :)

been thinking of ordering a top quality turkey instead of the usual supermarket offering.

i belive diffrent breeds of turkey have very diffrent flavours....

does anyone have any knowledge of this? or can anyone recommend a specific breed or supplier?

any other tips to make it a top notch dinner gratefully received.. :)

x-mass day is almost upon us.
as it will be the first x-mass dinner i have had at home in over ten years i am looking to make it a good one :)

been thinking of ordering a top quality turkey instead of the usual supermarket offering.

i belive diffrent breeds of turkey have very diffrent flavours....

does anyone have any knowledge of this? or can anyone recommend a specific breed or supplier?

any other tips to make it a top notch dinner gratefully received.. :)

see my recepie below:

3.5/4 kg turkey, cleaned and trimmed
stuffing
salt and milled pepper
60-90 ml margarine or butter

Fill the turkey with the stuffing and close the openings with a skewer or thread. Truss the turkey if desired and place it on a grid, uncovered, in a deep roasting pan. Season with the salt and pepper and rub the margarine or butter all over the bird. Cover the bottom of the roasting pan with water. Roast at 200ºC for less than 3 hours . Lower the temperature to 180ºC and continue roasting, basting occasionally, for another 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cover the roasting pan with foil if the chicken browns too much. Serve with giblet gravy, roast potato and steamed vegetables.

Almond stuffing
Brought to the Cape by the Dutch

5 large eggs, separated
500 ml thick cream
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
200 g ground almonds
360 g dried breadcrumbs
120 ml diced butter

Mix the egg yolks with the cream and nutmeg until well combined. Mix the ground almonds with a little of the egg white and stir the mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stir in the breadcrumbs and diced butter. Add the stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat the mixture till it is smooth and fairly stiff.
Makes enough for a 3.5-4 kg. turkey.

Giblet Gravy

chicken or turkey giblets
salted water
dripping from roast
60 ml cake flour
15 ml chopped fresh parsley
5 ml salt
2 ml milled pepper

Boil the neck, gizzard and heart in salted water until tender, about 2 hours. Add the liver and boil for a further 15 minutes. Drain off the stock and make it up to 500 ml with water. Dice the meat, discarding the gristle and bone. Heat the dripping in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook till foamy. Gradually stir in the stock and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until the gravy thickens. Stir in the diced giblets and parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Roast Stuffed Turkey

Aldi 3 bird roast for me at home, cheap and cheerful. I have got 4 or 5 x-mas meals lined up though, including 3 in row for 15th, 16th and 17th. I expect I will be sick of turkey by the end of that.

Re: Roast Stuffed Turkey

Eheheheh.... be carefull or you will see grow turkey feathers... on your back.....

Back