World First: Full-Face Transplant Man On Show

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
A Spanish man has appeared before TV cameras after becoming the first person in the world to have a full-face transplant

The man, known only as Oscar, spoke with difficulty as he thanked the family of the person whose face he now has and the doctors at Vall d'Hebron in Madrid where he had the operation in March.

During the 24-hour surgery, doctors lifted an entire face, including jaw, nose, cheekbones, muscles, teeth and eyelids from one person and placed it, mask-like, onto Oscar.

The 31-year-old recipient is a farmer who was unable to breathe or eat on his own after accidentally shooting himself in the face five years ago.

He has now been discharged from hospital and will need between a year and 18 months of physical therapy but is expected to regain up to 90% of his facial functions, said the head of the surgical team, Dr Joan Pere Barret.

Oscar is now able to drink liquids and eat soft foods, and has been able to speak for the past two months, the hospital revealed.

Doctors also said he has regained the feeling in most of his face and is partly recovering movement of his muscles.

One good sign, apparently, was that a week after the operation, he had to be shaved because of beard growth.

But he also suffered acute rejection twice - once four weeks after the surgery and again between the second and third months. Both times, the new face was saved with medication, a hospital statement said.

At the news conference, Oscar seemed relaxed as he looked out at reporters with eyes he cannot yet close completely.

His sister, who has not been identified to protect the family's privacy, said her brother looks forward to leading a normal life.

He is eager to enjoy "little things, like walking down the street without anyone looking at him, or sitting down for a meal with his family. Doing things that all of us do on a normal day", she said.

A French team announced a similar operation earlier this month, saying a 35-year-old man with a genetic disorder has been given an entirely new face, including tear ducts that cry and a chin that sprouts stubble.

A partial face transplant was carried out first in France in 2005 and since then around a dozen have taken place, including three in Spain.

World First: Full-Face Transplant Man On Show - Yahoo! News UK

it sure is amazing what they can do these days, and how far we have come!!!!!

This was an amazing achievement and hopefully will give him some quality of life in the future.

Medical advances are improving day by day, year in year giving people who suffer accidental major injuries the chance of some form of normal life.

full credit to the surgeons for this remarkable achievement:Clap:

While it is a remarkable achievement medically and scientifically, it sounds slightly creepy to me, walking around with somebody else's face.

While it is a remarkable achievement medically and scientifically, it sounds slightly creepy to me, walking around with somebody else's face.

well it is better than having someones backside sown on it eva:proud:Although listening to some people on here perhaps its already been done lol

1139991500-world-first-full-face-transplant-man-show.jpg

i`m sorry but is this before or after?

What one has to realise in this situation is the transplant takes place then all the trauma and swelling, structural work and muscle and nerve attachments has to be allowed to reduce.
This then gives the surgeon the better view of the operations success and tells him what additional work is required to bring the new face into as normal a reconstruction as is medically possible.

As for Eva's comment about walking around with someone else's face on, i think Oscar wouldn't even think about that only that he will have some kind of normality back when he looks in the mirror.

I bet it wouldn't be a hard a decision to walk around with someone else's heart inside you if it saved your life oh and to do that you would also need someone else's blood flowing through your veins.

What one has to realise in this situation is the transplant takes place then all the trauma and swelling, structural work and muscle and nerve attachments has to be allowed to reduce.
This then gives the surgeon the better view of the operations success and tells him what additional work is required to bring the new face into as normal a reconstruction as is medically possible.

As for Eva's comment about walking around with someone else's face on, i think Oscar wouldn't even think about that only that he will have some kind of normality back when he looks in the mirror.

I bet it wouldn't be a hard a decision to walk around with someone else's heart inside you if it saved your life oh and to do that you would also need someone else's blood flowing through your veins.
well said stevie just what i was getting at I wish Oscar all the best for the future and I am pretty sure the surgeons will make you almost perfect again in time.:Clap:

really mate, i`d hate to see through your beer goggles .................;)

tiz only a joke ;)

oh very funny joke that is and as for looking through somebodys beer glass goggles try looking up your own backside first and see if you can find a brain to activate before you talk. count yourself lucky it is not you.

The 31-year-old recipient is a farmer who was unable to breathe or eat on his own after accidentally shooting himself in the face five years ago.

I was always told never point a gun especially at your own face,silly boy.

Back