Wireless router to wireless router

ekwat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Background :-

Upsatirs I have a Virgin media connection ( Cable modem ) going to a Zyxel router which connects wirelessly to a PC with a wireless dongle.

Downstairs I have a Buffalo router running tomato firmware that is connected to the Zyxel router wirelessly ( acting as an access point ). Connected via ethernet to the Buffalo is a media PC and also, via ethernet, an XBox360.

Roaming I have an Acer Aspire One, connected wirelessly to the Zyxel.

Everything can connect to the net just fine but I would like to set up a "home office/network" where I can access files on one PC from another. In the past I only had one router which connected wirelessly to all devices and allowed the home network to function easily but this had to change to accomodate the 360 ( didn't want to pay stupid money for the wireless device).

I've run the "setup home or small office network" util in windows but it doesn't work. What do I need to do to get this working? Something on the Buffalo I guess but what exactly?

Help please :)

your work group name needs to be the same on your network for all computers that you want to share - so for example all my computers have the work group name as netgear - then it should be a simple case of allowing your drives/folders to be shared.

create user name and password for all computers so when you login you have to type a password.

If vista then you will have to change sharing privileges for the folders your sharing.

If xp then simply allow the folder to be shared as well and then you should be able to allow the drives to be mapped on the network.

Also make sure you allow your ip address full access via any firewalls (for example zonealarm i have to allow a range of an address,. so for example 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.50 )a good way to start is by giving the machines a static ip address (after getting it working you don't want dhcp kicking in )and then seeing if you can ping each other after this then mapping and sharing should be easy enough to do.

There's a program called network magic or something, i've never used it but I'm sure others have.

I have 2 computers and laptop all networked together and other devices all working well.

Back