Wireless Network Problem

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Have tried to set up wireless network between PC and Lap top. Both PC's see and connect to Internet OK. Lap top can see PC but PC cannot see Lap Top. Any ideas thanks

Easyest way would be to purchase a wirless hub and have both running thru it...I got one off ebay very reasonably priced and a wirless pci card. Ideal if its the net you want to share ...

Hi Bad Karma sorry for delay had to fill my tum. I have pinged both machines and they were both successful still no connection on network or synchro thanks for info

Hi RedDevil thanks for idea. I am running wireless connections through BT 2100 router. PC is connected to this as recommended by ethernet lappy has wireless card installed. thanks for help

right, I have found something strange in SP2.....

I run my wireless network in secure SSID mode.....and it worked in SP1...

but in SP2 I have the key enabled on the server, but on the XP lappy its set, but in open config....

On the 2000 box all is ok??

Have a look on your setup to see if anything along those lines looks iffy....

Here's a few more things :)

Even if it tells you to do it, don't run Windows XP's Network Setup Wizard on the other networked computers. You want to make the Windows XP computer conform to the existing network. The Wizard wants to make the rest of the network conform to XP.

You must disable Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on a local area network connection to other computers. If it's enabled on a LAN, ICF will block File and Printer Sharing.

Use the same protocol for File and Printer Sharing on all computers. Usually only TCPIP
Remove all network protocols that aren't required for a specific purpose.
If you have multiple protocols, un-bind File and Printer Sharing from all but one. Using more than one protocol, even on just one networked computer, can make networking with XP unreliable.
TCP/IP, by itself, works for all Windows networking functions.

If you assign IP addresses manually, use the same IP subnet on all computers.
NetBEUI isn't necessary. [I think I would make it blunter than that: "If NetBEUI is installed, the network won't work." At least that has been my experience so far.]

Use the same workgroup name on all computers.

For peer-topeer networks, be sure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled: Start, Control Panel, Network and Dial-up Connection. Right-click Local Area Connection, Properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Advanced, WINS tab, Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, OK, OK, Close. If you have a broadband router with a DHCP server or other DHCP server on your network (not the ISp DHSP server), try enabling Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server instead.

Be sure the Computer Browser Service is running... Right click My Computer, Manage, System Tools, Services, Double Click the Computer Browser service, set to Automatic, OK.

If you have Norton firewall installed you may run into problems. Try completely uninstalling it to eliminate it as the problem. If that fixes the problem, reinstall and try setting the security level to its lowest setting.

Assign share names other than the default names that have a $ in them. Share names with a $ in them are Administrative shares and cannot be seen on the network. Sharing Drives and Folders With Windows XP

Enable the guest account or setup individual accounts for users on other PCs to access shared resources... Start, right-click My Computer, Manage, Tools, Local Users and Groups...

If you have a broadband router, set you tcp/ip Properties to obtain the IP address automatically from the router's built-in DHCP server.

If you are using Windows ICS to share an Internet connection (you don't have a broadband router), set the client machines' tcp/dipproperties to obtain their IP addresses automatically from the ICS host (the one with the Internet connection and two network adapters). ICS has a built in DHCP server. Do not install ICS on the clients. The ICS host is assigned a static, private IP address or 192.168.0.1 for the local network adapter when ICS is installed. If static IP addresses are used for the client computers, there may be conflict with the IP address scoop of the ICS DHCP server and the network may not work.
Do not install Windows ICS if you are using a broadband router (yes, people have done that).

WOW! thanks Bad Karma for all of that I will print it off and digest it slowly, I have just had 'Brekkie' so it may take a while! Will keep you posted but thanks again for taking the time.

So a quick recap on the problem....

You have a network od 2 machines one lappy and another main that use a wireless router to BB. Both machines can see eacj other in the workgroup's ?

Lappy can connect to main machine and swop files np.

Main machine gets error message saying no access blah blah blah...

Is that right ?

Since WinXp won't let u uninstall TCPIP and stuff no. Could reset the whole protocol but wouldn't change a thing i guess

Back