Windows Vista – Missing CD/DVD-Rom drive

neecarl

Inactive User
Reaction score
WARNING: I CANNOT AND WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DELETE SOMETHING AND YOU CAN NO LONGER ACCESS YOUR COMPUTER. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL WILL USUALLY DO FOR YOU. IF YOU WANT TO DO IT YOURSELF, PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU RUN THE RISK OF DAMAGING YOUR COMPUTER. DELETING THE WRONG THING FROM THE REGISTRY CAN LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNABLE TO BOOT INTO WINDOWS. IF YOU’RE NOT SURE ABOUT DOING THIS PROCEDURE, I HIGHLY SUGGEST TAKING IT INTO A PROFESSINAL REPAIR SHOP WHERE SOMEONE WHO IS CERTIFIED CAN DO IT FOR YOU. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

UPDATE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11*CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.
If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
Restart Windows.
Let me know if this works.

Back