Windows Server Help

chrispeters

Elite Member
Reaction score
At work i have a Domain controller with server 2000 on it (a crappy old dell optiplex).
About 12 machines log onto the domain using this machine to get to our MAIN expensive fileserver .
The domain (Dell) has packed up on me ! I built another machine a million times better than the Dell .
Problem is , i cant get my server 2000 disk to work on it its just much too old.
So... i went and bought server 2011 for 200 quid only to find out there was NO disk , just a 5 CAL package ?
i brought in an outside company for assistance , they quoted me just short of a grand to sort it , incl software !
Surely it wont cost that much , i have access and knowledge to all usual places ( newsgroups )..
But cant seem to find what i want ,
I tried cloning the Disk drive in the old Dell , which was successful but would not boot in the new machine.
All i want is my domain controller settings on a newer pc with server software on it .
Surely its not too much to ask ? doing my head in this one guys....

i must add that our domain controller has NO files on it ! it is there purely to connect to the domain to access the main fileserver.
It has like a 10 gig HDD in it.

Last edited:
CAL - Client Access Licence. u have bought 5 licences, you'll need another 7 for all the PC's. what version of server 2011? Small Business?

Cloning the old disk won't work, it'll need a rebuild. a domain for 12 PC's is possibily a bit overkill especially if they're just accessing another fileserver - is it just handling the authentication?

CAL - Client Access Licence. u have bought 5 licences, you'll need another 7 for all the PC's. what version of server 2011? Small Business?

Cloning the old disk won't work, it'll need a rebuild. a domain for 12 PC's is possibily a bit overkill especially if they're just accessing another fileserver - is it just handling the authentication?

Yes mate its just handling the log on only nothing else...and yes i just bought the CALS for small business server 2011 (i thought i was buying the disk ) lol

Last edited:
Why don't you convert the file server into a domain controller ?

Why don't you convert the file server into a domain controller ?

Not sure how that would work ? i was told it is better to have seperate file/app servers and domain controllers....i am useless with servers lol

It's better to separate but since SBS doesn't, Microsoft must support it!

Use 'dcpromo' on the file server to promote it to a DC, install DNS and DHCP on the file server and let them talk to each other for a bit. Transfer the FSMO roles. Hang on until it settles down then use 'dcpromo' on the old DC to demote it. Remove the old dc from the domain (disjoin) and shut it down.

Should be no more than half a day - I can point you at some MS tech notes if you want...

It's better to separate but since SBS doesn't, Microsoft must support it!

Use 'dcpromo' on the file server to promote it to a DC, install DNS and DHCP on the file server and let them talk to each other for a bit. Transfer the FSMO roles. Hang on until it settles down then use 'dcpromo' on the old DC to demote it. Remove the old dc from the domain (disjoin) and shut it down.

Should be no more than half a day - I can point you at some MS tech notes if you want...

This sounds like a plan , need more info mate hahhahah or........
If you know how to do it , would be willing to pay you to do it for us... we are in manchester.

perhaps i must add , that on the file server we are also running SQL server , i dunno whether this will affect promoting it to a domain controller ?

SQL makes no difference although it would be best to check server loading first using the performance tab on Task Manager.

This is more or less the procedure (skip the bits about installing new server as that bit's already done).

If you're still not sure, I'll do it but think we'd have to go to PM for that bit as it's selling?

If you want to keep the old DC controller running can you convert it in to a virtual machine? May need to get it to fire up though, can't remember if you can do a conversion directly from the HD.

Back