Windows 7 backup Image Help

maggot

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Right this is what I want, can anyone help ???

I need to install windows 7 get it how I need it very few programs installed but configured in a specfic way

Then I need some software that will clone the image so to speak and then burn it to a dvd so that I can pop the dvd into another system and install from booting from the dvd.

For sysprep to work I think the CPU have to be from similiar range I think. Also don't forget that you will need to supply a new key for the new machine
Each of the 3 methods I can thing of: sysprep, slipstreaming and ghosting, have their draw backs for what the OP wants in this instance.

Ghosting is only really advisable when you are installing to the same system or at least when working with retail keys - OEM keys only allow for a single install. Even if you use a loader, you are likely going to have to reactivate on each install if there is a major change in hardware (i.e. motherboard).

Slipstreaming isn't as easy in Win7 as XP and Vista, mainly because the guy behind nLite and vLite is now under the employ of MS, and contracted not to work on a '7Lite' (some have had limited success with vLite though). Even if you use a VM, testing the custom ISOs can be time consuming, silent installs aren't available for every piece of software and so on.

Sysprep in addition to what you've said, can be time consuming when creating the initial system - though not much more complex than a new install, some people have a high failure rate (this may be down to the individual circumstances). Like slipstreaming, it will benefit from sandbox testing before burning off the final ISO.

Last edited:
I didn't know about the nlite guy being with MS now. Similiar to the sysinternals guy working for MS now, at least he is still working on his utils but with MS blessing now.

Havn't tried vLite, does it use unattend.xml which is another option. Adcantages are that it will install across a wide range of hardware and it easy to add extra drivers but any additional software will have to be done manually or seperately scripted. But then that does mean its easy to add or remove items from install script pretty easily. Good news is that anything with a MSI file for install is usually very easy to script silent install.

Also if you are using sysprep option you will still need a disk cloning tool such as ghost to apply the sysprep'ed image.

Last edited:
Back