WiFi - is it "ethical" to use a neighbour's hotspot

majestyk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just got a company laptop with WiFi and found that there is a hotspot near my house. If I stand by the upstairs back windowI get a poor but useable internet access signal.

My question: Is it fair to get a free ride on someone else's system? Do I cost them money? Am I at risk from hacking or prosecution.

I'm wondering whether to get a WiFi card for my own PC. Any views?

it dont cost them anymore money, but if you was using my wifi network i would be very pissed off

Yes and no......;)

It means there security is very poor if you can access their network......

so in essance you could actually access their files also, serves em right..;)

hmmmm.... "Freeeeeee....."

That's what Homer would say .... and he would use it .... so why can't we all?????

Interesting replies.
I had to chuckle at your response, Mr Napster (assuming you took your name after the freeloading website and not your birth certificate).
On balance, I think I'm with KMS - on Homer's side.

it won't do any harm as long as you don't decide to do anything dodgey, like downloading illegal stuff for instance, as it will go back to him via he's IP address through he's ISP, if you just use it in a proper manner it won't cost the bloke anything or cause him any grief, so what he don't know won't hurt him ;)

Wouldnt call it ethical, neither would i use it. Just tell em that they got some leak in their network and help em to fix it :)

Back