Wi fi bridge

Richie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a server box and i have added another box upstairs using a vonet wifi bridge,Every couple of minutes the screen goes black and i miss what has been said etc,is this normal with using the bridge?
Also i have added the box like it was another client,is that correct or should it be done another way?

Thanks for any info.

Hi all
I have a server box and i have added another box upstairs using a vonet wifi bridge,Every couple of minutes the screen goes black and i miss what has been said etc,is this normal with using the bridge?
Also i have added the box like it was another client,is that correct or should it be done another way?

Thanks for any info.

The vonets can be hit and miss tbh. Much better with home plugs.
Adding your box is similar to adding ext clients but i just put the server ip addy in instead of the dyn acc addy and i dont put the arguments in the fline

try turning the vonets on its side, i find they work slightly better.

Will do,cheers mate.not been on for a while the new commando image can it be used as server or better sticking with pli?

Yes i suppose it aint broke so dont fix it.
I was going to put 14.6 on my other box i have 14.4 on that just now.

Cheers again

before spending any money.... get a 12v adapter and power your vonets directly from it and your vonets will connect perfectly all the time. The vonets need 12 volts power at all times to be reliable. Powering from usb is not ideal for the vonets. A dreambox uses 12 volts, so both cannot feed off 12volts at the same time as feed a vonets wifi bridge.

Last edited:
before spending any money.... get a 12v adapter and power your vonets directly from it and your vonets will connect perfectly all the time. The vonets need 12 volts power at all times to be reliable. Powering from usb is not ideal for the vonets. A dreambox uses 12 volts, so both cannot feed off 12volts at the same time as feed a vonets wifi bridge.

I hve used about 50 of these, only 3 were connected using power supplies the rest were connected to the usb ports of the receiver and all worked ok.

3 out of 50 = 6% not a bad statistic. Chinese manufacturers would be happy to hear that. I would rather just power it directly that miss that all important goal when AVP scores.:champion:

Thanks for the tip about power supply,That makes sense,I will give that a try as i am using the usb on the box to powe.Off to fleabay now for a look.

Thanks

look in your house get one off an old router or so or an old dreambox. they are the same....

If you're going to be in the market again I'd think about purchasing a dd-wrt capable router and flashing it.

I have 6 running in total and they are amazing. dreambox, xbox, even have one as a cheap nas. never had any problems.

DD-WRT is amazing, it turns out your cheap as chips router into a piece of sophisticated equipment that you can manipulate to your advantage. For the not so faint hearted capable of understanding and following instructions for configuration.

You coud use such a DD-WRT flashed router in one of several modes including router bridge mode, in which case you router connects wirelessly to another router or wireless access point while at the same time giving cables access to a few machines via the RJ45 ports on the router.

OK im i'm going to fall for this why would that make any difference :)

Leaving aside the limits of nasty USB wireless devices...

...wireless (WAP) transmission is omni-directional (transmitted in all directions). It's also polarised I.e. radiates at an angle to the antenna. So a vertical antenna is probably horizontally polarised and so on. At the limits the signal strength is best if the polarisations match but a specific polarisation may work better under certain conditions...

...turning them on their side may work better in a given environment.

OK im i'm going to fall for this why would that make any difference :)

I have no idea, but it has helped before.

I installed a wifi bridge with a tm500, worked great when i was there, they called later to say it wasn't working. went back to the house and they had moved the router to the shelf below where i had set it up (lowered about 12 inches, still 3 feet of the ground.)
Moved it up a shelf and it worked again without glitching.

They can be fickle but a great product to make STB wireless.

Dont know whats made the difference but i have flashed this box with 14.6
Now no glitching for some reason,nothing else changed exept moved from pli to 14.6 !

Back