Why Lie?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
Throughout my life i've come across many a bullshitter. Now i can understand people lying to get themselves off the spot so to say, also to gain something, but these people lye for what seems to be no rational reason. I don't think they are compulsive/pathalogical but they seem to get some satisfaction in makeing you belive something that is not true. (like an ego boost or something)

Sad people?

yep our goverment have a strange way of doing these things all the time 2

na see i have an uncle who believes his own lies, i mean at the end of the day if there not hurting anyone and they make life more exciting for the person then be my guest

Some people tell lies because it makes them feel important or better than you, even over the smallest and most trivial of things. They generally tend to be insecure in themselves, and also can sometimes lie because they just dont like themselves or their actions and need to pretend to themselves that they are nicer/more popular/more important etc etc.

Rather than actually looking at themselves and their behaviour, ie their strengths and weaknesses and how they can change for the better, they prefer to lie to themselves and other people and generally behave like small children. of course that could be the behavioural pattern they learned growing up, bullying, lies, sulking, general nastiness to other people, unfortunately some people never grow out of it. :(

edit: @p33RRV, if he's just jazzing stuff up a bit to sound more exciting that's one thing, it's pretty harmless: it's the people telling malicious lies and that set out to hurt other people that i have no time for.

Last edited:
It's part of human nature to lie, it's an inherent part of being self aware - and we've all done it as children despite barely knowing left from right....in all honesty I'll bet we all still do it from time to time despite knowing all along that it's wrong. I occasionally tell a porky or two knowing I'm lying to my back teeth about it. Sometimes it's easier to lie rather than tell the truth.

There's a saying in this life of do you know what you get for being 100% honest all the time in this world ? Screwed.

As for people that lie all the time and for little reason, I don't understand that much either, sounds compulsive to me. Best I figure some people simply get off on seeing what they can get away with in deliberately playing other people for mugs.

well even as an adult i feel i lie all the time, mainly when the wife asks how the food is, or if what she wears makes her look fat....

well even as an adult i feel i lie all the time, mainly when the wife asks how the food is, or if what she wears makes her look fat....

Lol exactly, you speak the truth there and you're nackered - imagine what would happen if you'd said well the food sucks and you do look fat in that. ;)

i would be a happy divorced man, it wont happen not in my lifetime... :)

Lol hey I'll tell you something funny, well it wasn't funny but it just struck me as funny at the time...anyway my mate told me he'd cheated on his gf and told her about it, he said he remembered thinking at the time 'oh she's taking it well' well you know what happens next - next morning first daylight his clothes and belongings were on fire in the garden. I don't know how true that is as I wasn't there but I do know that's why they split up and that story was straight out of his mouth. Not saying he didn't deserve that but part of me can't help but find it slightly amusing.

i don't think lies like 'dinner was lovely' or 'your bum doesn't look big in that' or inventing stories to entertain kids are in the same category as deliberate and malicious lying to cause trouble or upset other people.

That's the problem though eva, where does one draw the line between fibs and outright malicious lies as they're both not the truth. Obviously there's a difference in severity but not in terms of honesty. Sometimes it really is easier to lie and nobody gets hurt, other times there's no excuse and it causes nothing but pain for somebody. Unfortunately.

well personally i see pretty clear boundaries between 'yes your hair is nice' and stories about the tooth fairy etc which let's face it are made with good intent and lies that are designed to hurt people

but there is a grey area, there's calling in sick to work for example and saying you have flu or hurt your back etc when you really have a hangover or just felt like a day off, or making excuses up about traffic etc when you really had an extra half hour in bed, basically lies designed to get you out of trouble. where do you draw the line there?

well personally i see pretty clear boundaries between 'yes your hair is nice' and stories about the tooth fairy etc which let's face it are made with good intent and lies that are designed to hurt people

but there is a grey area, there's calling in sick to work for example and saying you have flu or hurt your back etc when you really have a hangover or just felt like a day off, or making excuses up about traffic etc when you really had an extra half hour in bed, basically lies designed to get you out of trouble. where do you draw the line there?

I don't bother lol. But that's the point there is a clear difference between harmless fibs or incidental lies designed to get you out of a tough spot and malicious lies designed to play someone for a total idiot or worse. It's them calculating liars that take advantage and do it just because they can that aren't on.

As for the question of why do we lie ? Well I'd answer that question with a question and ask what is a lie really ? And to answer that all I'd say it's a broad question but as for why we do it as I say it's part of our nature from childhood. I think some people as they get older realise they can concoct much more intricate lies and act the part to make them more convincing. Simply put people get better at lying as they get older, but some develop a need for it. Sad but true. I'd love to ask one of those people why they feel the need but they'd probably bullshit me! ;)

Last edited:
Throughout my life i've come across many a bullshitter. Now i can understand people lying to get themselves off the spot so to say, also to gain something, but these people lye for what seems to be no rational reason. I don't think they are compulsive/pathalogical but they seem to get some satisfaction in makeing you belive something that is not true. (like an ego boost or something)

Sad people?

Don't get it myself mate. Place I used to work before there was a lad who would lie about all kinds of stupid shit and a few blokes would spot the bullshit (which is quite easy with these type people) and just rip into to him for the whole lunch break sometimes ending with him being in tears. The sad thing is he would never learn and still talk bollocks. Felt sorry for him in the end cause he just could obviously not help lying.

Think we all lie sometimes, either to flatter or save our skins but it's the constant billie bullshitters that used to do my head in, now I just feel sorry for them.

Ppl lie all the time,it's a fact,as a neuro surgeon on the new Alpha base on Lunar One,i get all sort of delusional ppl and it's my job to decide if they are ready and fit to go into space,now not all ppl can go into space,there are a few critical parameters that are paramount to be even being considered,first you must be able to Act !! Lie!! Keep a secret ! and keep reasonal balance on a massive bouncy castle,while holding a flag !! Anyway my sonic shower is ready and i need to beam up to the clinic on the moon,as there has been a bad bout of gout amongst the three legged physio's that i had to bring in from planet "Bovinshit"

ive been use to bullshitters in my life and work with 2 at the moment , they bullshit there way into jobs , IMO because they cannot do there job correctly , in the end lairs and bullshitters get found out .

I tell the occasional lie but there's reason behind them and they are usually for a good reason. I am a bit too honest for my own good.

Honesty is the best policy?

Unless your a first rate (convincing) liar. lol

yep, me included tel the odd porkey, to the kids, the mrs and yes guilty of being late and it was "stuck behind 4 artics and a tractor".

But i do know there is a fine line and when not to cross it.

I used to work in Factories and trust me Bullsh*t if rife, everyday.

You get used to it and spot those who really living in a fantasy world.

Some people in business are very good Blaggers and there is an important lesson Below:

My Old Manager is very good at Blagging, to the point it has caught up with him.

Mainly because im the complete opposite to him and know what to promise people and make it realistic.

If you know you cant do something then simply tell them thats not a realistic expectaction, but at the same time you must offer a solution that suits everyone!

He has told that many lies that the client has asked for him to be removed from the contract or they pull the plug.

I have now been promoted and my old boss is away licking his wounds.

He has made that many mistakes through lying that eventually it catches up with you and no one beleives anything you say !

I will continue to watch my back with the old manager (although no longer my boss) as i know, he will try to get even!

I did not create the lies (just exposed them with better practice) .

Its always very easy to make yourself look good, when someone else is busy making a path to career suicide.

So yes there is a moral to the story, Just be very careful how far you push the boundries of whats a little white lie, that if lying becomes a habbit, it will come back and bite you!

Back