Why do Sky cut off multiroom channels?

zeds

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've got HD box for the main telly and multiroom subscription for the bedroom. The missus has started to read books rather than watch telly in bed so uses the box less but recently found that Sky has cut off the extra channels, despite taking the subscription.

Is there any technical reason why they should do this?

I phoned the (premium rate) number shown on screen and the woman in Delhi reinstated the service but, when I asked her what the problem had been, she fed me a string of lies.
First, the problem was the wind; then the weather. When I told her it couldn't possibly be these because both boxes would have been affected, she said it was the wires, or a loose connection to the box. I reminded her that she'd solved the problem by sending a fresh signal so it couldn't be these either but she wouldn't say why it had happened nor answer when I said I'd paid a subscription so was entitled to the contracted service. Eventualy she transferred me to a supervisor who never came to the line, so I hung up.
I'm about to write to Murdoch but would be interested in knowing if there's any reason they need to do this (beyond the fact that they can save a few pence on electricity while still raking in the full subscription).

is you second box connected to the phone line
if not this maybe a possible reason for the card not getting the update
as i think the second box must be connected to the phone line so sky
know where the box is located

is you second box connected to the phone line
if not this maybe a possible reason for the card not getting the update
as i think the second box must be connected to the phone line so sky
know where the box is located

Both/all boxes must be connected to the same phoneline whith a multiroom sub

Both boxes have been connected continuously to the same phone line.
The only difference between the two (apart from one being HD and one standard and being in different rooms) is that the multiroom box is used less. Both are switched off when not in use.

thats whats up mate if the box is off it cant take th updates
and if its been off for a few weeks it might not be able to update

Just phone sky up and tell them your multiroom box has lost some of its channels. They will send the update,

I agree with dj999, you dont have to connect the phone line they can do the updates via the signal that they send.
:banana:

I agree with dj999, you dont have to connect the phone line they can do the updates via the signal that they send.
:banana:

They only have to have the phone lines connected so they know both boxes are in the same house, If not one could be at a friends. They tend to get their arse in their hands and threaten to charge for 2 seperate full price subscriptions.

They only have to have the phone lines connected so they know both boxes are in the same house, If not one could be at a friends. They tend to get their arse in their hands and threaten to charge for 2 seperate full price subscriptions.

Has this actually ever happened?
have heard plenty of scare mongering but never actually read about it.
any testimonials? :Fish:

yes sky send a letter asking to connect the box back to line or next bill will be full price and if its not the bill will be full price for the next month

its only usually for the first 12 months, or whatever the minimum contract is, the phone line has to connected.
i know a few people thet have never connected the fone line and never received any letters telling them they have to.

its only usually for the first 12 months, or whatever the minimum contract is, the phone line has to connected.
i know a few people thet have never connected the fone line and never received any letters telling them they have to.

Thats true for non-multiroom. You only need to keep the phoneline connected for 12 months until the 'interactive' subsidy agreement expires.

For multiroom, you are required to keep all boxes connected for the duration of the multiroom contract. This is how sky verifies the boxes are at the same physical location. If they cannot verify this they will firstly send you a warning letter and if this fails then they will discontinue multiroom delivery.

well ive said it before and i'll say it again i know someone with multiroom hd on both boxes and ones never been hooked up to the phone line as it was causing an issue with the broadband they have (halfed the speed) so they unplugged the box line and have never heard a thing and this has been for at least the last 9 months, no letter no nothing.

a single box install, the the customer is expected to have the phone line connected for the 12 month contract, but most just unplug it once engineer has left, or do what i do, if the phone line is in other room, i tell them it's only for ordering box office at £5 per film, and when x-factor is on, press red and you have just been billed up to £2, even if you press it by mistake LOL, they don't want it then.

BUT, a multiroom install, then phone lines MUST be connected to ALL boxes in the property via the same landline number, and ensuring callbacks can be made (edit prefix if needs be) so this verifies boxes are not being loaned out to friends or family.

Just speaking from experiance, I had sky multi-room for a number of years then after a bit of DIY forgot to plug the box back in. I had a call from sky a few months later asking to reconnect the box else I will get charged a second full subsciption so I am guessing that they do occasionally check.

......so I am guessing that they do occasionally check.

Checking is the norm rather than the exception - I guess Thommo's friend is just lucky !

@Thommo - Be interesting to know how long your friend has been with sky. Maybe he's just fallen through the cracks when they've migrated older customers to the newer systems. More likely his account is just not set up properly - the people at the callcentres aren't exactly known for their high IQ's !

Checking is the norm rather than the exception - I guess Thommo's friend is just lucky !

@Thommo - Be interesting to know how long your friend has been with sky. Maybe he's just fallen through the cracks when they've migrated older customers to the newer systems. More likely his account is just not set up properly - the people at the callcentres aren't exactly known for their high IQ's !

they,ve had it for about 9 months (new customer they had a !!!cough!!! vermin box before), so from install its not ben hooked up but a day, as said the phone line upstairs was causing an issue withthe internet from a different provider (who knows why but it was) so they unplugged it to get there full speed service back.

its been like that since day 2 since install and as of yet they've had no letters no phone call and no increase in bill. funny thing is they hardly use it upstairs either but when they do its all there channels wise.

got to be a slip up or something but i guarantee this is the case from install to now, ive no need to reply or bs in threads like this, its 100% as i say it is and they've yet to hear a thing.

as far as i know the downstairs one is plugged in but ive not checked that but i presume it is.

ive been tempted a few times to loan the box but they wont have it lol.

Last edited:
Back