Who does decent chicken breast ?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Want to buy a load of this to freeze. Had some from my local butchers in vacuum pack and it 'smelled' funny when opened so taken it back.

Where do you buys yours, tried Tesco value and could see the pin holes where they pumped water/salt into them !!!!

Cheers

I buy 5kg bags from Mackro for £18,it states on the package its normal to have a smell...

I get mine from mackro as well, just got 4 of the 5kg packs at £18.50 a pack I think. As afterhours says its normal to have a smell just make sure its not 'slimey'. I am under no illusion that these chickens health and living conditions where higher priority.

BTW, you can get cheaper frozen chicken breast (I think around £13 or £14 for 5kg) but side of package says 70% chicken so I am assume its water injected to bulk it up. Also I think they are imported from china where as the chilled 'fresh' ones could be from eastern europe.

They were slimy/sticky as well. Mackro closed near me so will check out Asda ones.

Cheers

Most Chicken these days is Halal which is why it smells. Various supermarkets were found to be selling Halal chicken which was unmarked as Halal. I think we even had a couple of posts on here about it.

There is no difference in the smelly chicken and the normal chicken apart from how it's killed.

We get out from Makro (it always seems to be fresher than the supermarkets). Or we goto the slaughter house in Anglsey and buy in bulk, which is much cheaper.

I wouldnt buy anything that said it was less than 100% chicken.

I've e-mailed makro to see if non-hahal marked goods are also hahal. They do sell hahal chicken which I think is even cheaper but I think it might be frozen.

I'm shocking to see a problem find a chicken breast, and I can't believe in the modern UK, talk about smell in a food ,suppose to be high controlled, and no smell at all must coming from something we put inside our body.
Or the health department in UK doesn't exist ? or the food quality is very poor and low ? and people eat it without problem...due don't care?
We are not living in African countries or Asian countries where nothing is controlled, not like in Europe, and I'm surprise someone admit, the chicken breast can smell, sorry! I cannot accept a fact of smelling food as a normal food status, the food doesn't have to smell, Never! so, I believe buy a packet of 5 kg chicken breast is not a big deal, I'm wondering why don't you go to a serious butchery shop and buy a fresh chicken breast and than you can freeze it and use when you need it? At least you can check before you pay for it if is fresh or not and forget to go buy cheap food, spend money for your food, you will have always an high quality product, the cheap packs, are for who believe to save money, but in the Food Industry is not like that, A good product, like any thing, Oil, meat, fish, what ever, will cost more if is fresh, high quality and marked as controlled by the Authority, with date, production expiration, who made... and so on..
..if I can face some smelling food like that, the dustbin is the place where I will trow it without thinking, due I can get any sickness eating such type of.. food. and I don't think is normal eating smelling food...

Last edited:
I've e-mailed makro to see if non-hahal marked goods are also hahal. They do sell hahal chicken which I think is even cheaper but I think it might be frozen.

Makro replied, the chicken not marked specifically as halal is definately not halal.

We only eat free range organic chicken, mainly because of the crap they feed them with. Still does not stop me from eating a chicken kebab though ;)

Back