Which BBQ do I buy?

Give it a try next time just whacking it on full for a bit.

I have a porcelain grill rack, I normally give it a good clean at the beginning and end of season. Otherwise just wipe with sunflower oil at the beginning of each cooking session and nothing should stick to it as long as you have high enough temp.

The high temp also burns off any crap on the lava rocks.

It gets really hot all right, has 3 burners think it goes to around 300 degrees.

Thanks i'll give that a go, as i said i was washing the grills everytime and then oiling them.

i have plenty of sump oil if needed ,it will give a very good smoke lol.

Thanks cacti, i use olive oil or vegetable oil lol, think it prob tastes a bit better :)

Well my friend there is only one in the frame go for WEBER they are by far the best quality avoid the cheap imitations ive been using them most of my alfresco life
The cooking grill has opening sides to allow additional coals to be added, during cooking my favourite venture is to cook indirect this barbi allows for oven type cooking
You buy a couple of grill spacers and you make two fires this allows the centre of the grill plate to be clear of coals in this space you put a drip tray
I have cooked many a lamb joint and beef using this method put some potatoes in the drip tray for great roasties
Sorry people I am getting carried away I can taste that juicy lamb as I type,
charcoal is the better fuel for this method as it burns hotter due to less ash forming the tip is keep adding coals as it progresses
final tip always use the cover which ever way you cook as it prevent flareups and they burn your food.
mmmmmm think i'll go to the butchers .....dont forget garlic and rosemary for the lamb

Well my friend there is only one in the frame go for WEBER they are by far the best quality avoid the cheap imitations ive been using them most of my alfresco life
The cooking grill has opening sides to allow additional coals to be added, during cooking my favourite venture is to cook indirect this barbi allows for oven type cooking
You buy a couple of grill spacers and you make two fires this allows the centre of the grill plate to be clear of coals in this space you put a drip tray
I have cooked many a lamb joint and beef using this method put some potatoes in the drip tray for great roasties
Sorry people I am getting carried away I can taste that juicy lamb as I type,
charcoal is the better fuel for this method as it burns hotter due to less ash forming the tip is keep adding coals as it progresses
final tip always use the cover which ever way you cook as it prevent flareups and they burn your food.
mmmmmm think i'll go to the butchers .....dont forget garlic and rosemary for the lamb

I was looking at the webber range in b+q you can get all sorts of handy accessories but man they aint cheap.

One other thing if you are cooking burgers, sausages or anything else with a high fat content, DON'T press them while cooking. I don't know why people do this but you will end up with a dried up piece of carpet.

Easy way of cooking burger,
- Oil grill, I wouldn't use olive oil as the burning point it quite low.
- make sure the grill is no to hot, simple test is that you can hold your hand over the grill for around 10 seconds.
- place on patty on the grill and leave the dam thing alone.
- Close lid if you have one
- Wait until fat is just about beginning to melt on the top. Sound be around 3 to 4 minutes at most depending on the thickness of the patty.
- Turn patty over, you will quite literally only need a minute or two.
- If you are inexperienced at BBQ and don't want to poison anyone, then get a cooking thermometer. Patty will be done once its gets to 165F. An instant read digital one costs around a fiver off e-bay. Also great for checking any type of cooking meat.

If you are making your own burgers at home (which will taste 100x better), couple of tips.
- You want some fat in the patty, around 10% to 15% is good.
- Adding breadcrumbs (or garlic curtons like I do) plus an egg will help bind it
- Add herbs, spices, etc for extra flavour. You can also try cheese in the middle, ketchup, chilli, etc
- Don't overwork the meat, don't use a food processer.
- split into 1/4lb balls and put in the fridge for an hour. If you want bigger burger then cook two 1/4lb rather then one 1/2lb
- Aiming for patty around 1/4" think. Personally I put in a oiled freezer bag and roll it. Lay out on grease proof paper.
- Freeze for an hour before cooking, it will help keeping it all together.

OK, enough cooking tips for one day.

I find if you are making burgers and you add ketchup and grated onion to the mix you don't need the egg to bind it.

Think i might have a bbq today :)

Back