what's my options???

Mubz

Inactive User
Reaction score
I’m new to sat nav land as I’m/was a good old fashion map man,
The problem is I’m wasting to much time trying to find places (I’m self employed so time is money) so I think it’s time to take the plunge…

I’m looking for a decent sat nav for around £120, nothing to big as I really hate having things on my dash (would really prefer one that has a flip out front on a head unit but can’t really afford that type)
The main requirement is it needs to have the safety cameras feature. Also traffic and accident avoidance would be well handy, Europe maps would be good but no a necessity..

I prefer Garmin as I used them on my boat, but if there’s something better out there I’ll get that instead.
I was looking at the Garmin Nüvi® 255, any thoughts on that? also quite like the look of the Garmin Nüvi® 270, a little more expensive tho.

And what about hacking these beasties to get more free stuff, what's the deal on that

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
all the views and no opinions...

come on guys, gimmi a little help :(

TOM TOM simple easy to mod your self and update cameras and maps very easy.

I need one my self as I have a shite sont nav u which is a headache I cant find a hack to put cameras on id

Take a look here at this cheap one posted in the bargain section.Its not bad for the price plus you can put Tomtom software on an sd card and run it off that, meaning you could add voices/cams just like a real tomtom, i think lol. But you definitely want a Tomtom as they are so easy to customize.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice on guys, :)
so ya recon Tom Tom is the way forward then...
any recommendations on models?

I have a tomtom 520, recently bought from Halfords if you reserve online and pickup in store it is only £159.99. has wide screen and takes SD card upto 2gb to store mp3's and photos on. also has hands free bluetooth which is great......

I picked up a refurbed tomtom from totalpda - and couldn't tell it wasn't new. You're probably optimistic to get a tomtom with traffic for around £120, but there is a second user tom tom go 720 with traffic for £135 on there.

sweet...
but i don't need bluetooth as i already have that in ma car,
so I'm looking for speed cameras, traffic avoidance and Europe...

just trying to get my head around this...
so if i get a tomtom with uk only map, can i upload Europe/America on myself or am i off track here (no pun intended):)
and what about speed cams do i just upload them myself too??

sorry for being a bit of a newb :blushing:

sweet...

just trying to get my head around this...
so if i get a tomtom with uk only map, can i upload Europe/America on myself or am i off track here (no pun intended):)
and what about speed cams do i just upload them myself too??

sorry for being a bit of a newb :blushing:

Don't worry about being a newb m8 - everyone has to start somewhere!!

As long as the gps device has enough internal memory or the ability to add memory cards (most if not all of the tom tom ones do) you can add maps at a later date.

Similarly speed cameras can also be added later. On the tom tom range they are treated as POI (points of interest), and you simply need to set up the device to warn you in advance of these - a good source of speed cameras (until this site's speed cameras come online at least) is pocketgpsworld where they also give a detailed explanation of how to install them onto the various devices

sweet...

Didn't answer these!!

There are two ways to get traffic avoidance.

One is to connect to a suitable service through your phone - this incurs ongoing costs as your phone has to download the traffic information fairly frequently.

The second is to connect an appropriate FM device to your satnav. This plucks the traffic information from the airwaves, and has the advantage of being free once the device is bought. If you search on the net these type of devices get mixed reviews, but I have had two (a T1 module for a Navman and the TomTom traffic module) and have personally found them both to work well.

cheers for all your help iant....

just ordered my 720 from totalpda, and i pick it up on Wednesday/Thursday..:banana:
ends up that i fitted their phone system a few years back so the guy said he'd see me ok :)

any other good places i can get speed camera data bases from?

Cheers again
Mubz

Back