What should I plant ?

Penners

Inactive User
Reaction score
Basically my little daughter is nearly 1 and will soon be walking unaided.

Which left me with a dilemma, we have / had a large rose bed full of lovely roses all different colours etc..

Anyway this weekend I've slaughtered the lot of them lol. The soil in this patch has not been turned in many years as you would have been cut to shreds trying.

So I purchased myself some new toys this weekend to deal with the job

1* ryobi 30cc petrol brush cutter
expand it pruner attachment
expand it hedge trimmer attachment
and the expand it tiller.

Well what can I say the tiller is a brilliant piece of kit. It churned the soil weeds, grass & moss roots the lot. Now the patch looks bare lol just nicely turned soil.

So after babbling on for half an hour my question is:

Which perennials would be best suited for this patch that can be planted a good 6-10 inch down. Basically so each year I can get the tiller out and give it a good turning without damaging the bulbs ? The Tiller goes down to about 5inch on the first run.

Thanks

whatever you are thinking of planting make sure they aren't poisonous, eg i'm pretty sure that lily bulbs are.

there's a list on this site: CPCS: Know Your Plants

Thanks for info, that’s a very valid point as currently she tries to eat everything lol.

It hadn't even crossed my mind either, maybe I shouldn't just pick the ones that look nice lol.

I'm just not very good at picking flowers for the garden i.e colour schemes which plants suit best positions etc.. Usually my methodology has been if it looks nice i'll have lol

I'm just having a good read on the website you linked. Thank you.

is it the front garden or back garden?

if it's the back garden why not try growing some fruit or veg instead?

is it the front garden or back garden?

if it's the back garden why not try growing some fruit or veg instead?

It’s in the back garden. The back garden is quite large I have a section at the back for veg and have an orchard with 9 fruit trees (think I killed number 10 with the strimmer 2 years ago, by accident) . It’s more the front of the back garden near the lawn areas which once (until yesterday :) had all different types of rose bushes/ plants maybe 60 in total.

The previous owner was a keen gardener and loved roses hence them being bloody everywhere lol. Ideally I could do with replacing them with something decorative with minimal maintenance :)

I'm not keen on manually digging them either so was thinking more along the lines of perennials and if I could get away with using the tiller once a year to turn the soil over. Although still unsure if the tiller would possibly damage the bulbs if not planted deep enough.

Back