Weighing Scales?

The zero function is used only when scale is empty (not loaded) and not at gross zero. Tare is used only when you wish to see a current change in weight, not the entire amount of weight on the scale.
Example: When you put a cup of water on scales that is the gross weight. If you tip out the water and put cup on scales again that is the tare weight....its the reading difference.

You don’t need a tare button though to find out the difference in weight. 🤔

Oggiman is right. The zero function is used to set the scale's unloaded weight back to zero and tare is used to set the pseudo/temporary zero reading in order to measure differences. But these make no sense unless you consider that the zero is a data point related to the calibration of the device. If we assume the output from the load cell inside the scale is linear (this is generally true) then all we need are two points to calibrate the scale. An easy user friendly point is the zero and another would be a calibrated weight (ex. 500g). When you press the zero on the scale you are resetting the values for the zero point only in calibration, this would have the effect of changing the slope of the calibration line ever so slightly.

Taring is when you put a dish or something on top, then hit tare and it goes back to 0. You take off the thing you put on before tare and it goes to a - figure.

If you zero it, then it just goes to zero and adds the weight of the item you've placed.

You're still fat Dar sorry mate :)

Taring is when you put a dish or something on top, then hit tare and it goes back to 0. You take off the thing you put on before tare and it goes to a - figure.

If you zero it, then it just goes to zero and adds the weight of the item you've placed.

You're still fat Dar sorry mate :)
I'm 6 foot 1 and 10 stone 3

It's more to do with the reason I'm so light ;)

I'm still a bit confused lol.
In work, i have to weigh things in buckets. Obviously I don't want the weight of the bucket itself. So i place the bucket on, and zero it, take it off, fill it, and put back on and take the reading.
It works out the same whether i zero or tare. :)

If you use Tare you don't have to take the bucket off.
Put bucket on scale, use Tare, fill bucket to required weight and you are done...

Zero might be something to do with calibration?

I have access to lots of gold plated electronic scrap and experimented with gold recovery. Not for profit, just out of interest. These tiny scales have a feature to calibrate involving a standard weight.

Back