Watch out for scams...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...having just stumbled over another one. here's a few thoughts to help avoid them.

Money transfer

Quite common on ebay at the moment, you buy something and the seller asks for bank transfer, Western Union or MoneyGram payment. That should set off alarm bells immediately. Bank transfers are hard to reverse and accounts are easier to set up than you imagine. Western Union and MoneyGram are effectively untraceable given there hundreds of thousands of agents throughout the World, usually in little shops. This form of payment also takes you outside the safety net of Paypal. Say what you like about ebay but their system favours the buyer, stray from it at your peril.

Bait and Switch

Commonly used in property rentals. You see a property advertised for rent and call them, sadly it's just gone but there's another one, usually not as good and more expensive.

Cheque Overpayment

You sell something and the buyer sends a cheque. Oops, it's made out for too much, never mind, M8, just send me a cheque for the difference. The buyers cheque bounces but yours doesn't. Relies on the fact that banks clear cheques in 4 days on your statement but in reality it takes 10 days.

Technology

Can be anything but it's the best price anywhere, ever! Look up 'Ainsworth Scammers' on Google, they've been making a living out of this for years. Works on other products too and usually includes a variation of the money transfer scam above.

Things that should ring alarm bells:

i) It's an unwanted present - yeah right, I get £500 laptops all the time from my family ;)
ii) Addresses that turn out to be offices used for registering companies
iii) You've never heard of them and neither has anyone else you talk to
iv) A 'throwaway' e-mail address i.e. Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo

Finally, watch out for:

The Double Act

You do everything right, agree to meet in a public place so you can view the goods, don't pay until you've tried out that nice, shiny laptop complete with accessories, case etc. Then you put it in your bag and sort out the cash. When you get home it's mysteriously turned into a bag of potatoes - because his mate swapped it out while you were doing the money.

Trust no-one and you won't go far wrong :)

So if I bought a bag of potatoes of someone it could be a shiny new laptop when I get home nice. :)

A friend of mine went along with someone who was buying a laptop cheap and wanted to make sure it was ok.
Checked it all over, put it in bag himself and never took his eyes off it.
Wasn't there when he re opened it 10 mins later.
Obviously a switch was made, but he never took his eyes off anything lol and it still happened.

A friend of mine went along with someone who was buying a laptop cheap and wanted to make sure it was ok.
Checked it all over, put it in bag himself and never took his eyes off it.
Wasn't there when he re opened it 10 mins later.
Obviously a switch was made, but he never took his eyes off anything lol and it still happened.

that'll teach you to buy 2nd hand goods off Paul Daniels.. :)

i been ripped off on an ipad 2.
The guy bought off me, sent paypal payment then came to pick it up.
Couple of days later, payment got reversed. Paypal said tough luck, should have posted it.

gumtree is hounded by the feckers, iv got a few things on there at the minute worth a few quid, and i get at least 5 a day saying the same old shite, i bait them for abit as if im totally stupid and need everything explained to me and how to do it, then eventually tell them to do 1, and that iv logged there ip and phoned the police, do my little bit where i can!

horrible twats what they are!

i been ripped off on an ipad 2.
The guy bought off me, sent paypal payment then came to pick it up.
Couple of days later, payment got reversed. Paypal said tough luck, should have posted it.

I remember you posting about this.Don't you know where he live?

I remember you posting about this.Don't you know where he live?

Aparently the persons ebay had been hacked. The address was somewhere is essex.
Ebay didnt want to know, paypal didnt want to know and police didnt really care either.
To be honest mate I made a mistake in letting someone come and collect. I did have a written receipt signed by both parties which I thought was sufficient but only found out afterwards it counts for nothing. We make mistakes, we learn.
I got scammed and I learnt.

Reckon I've got enough to nail this ebay lot online now. I'll 'slagthemoff' on a site designed for the purpose later, in the meantime ebay members to treat with caution include:

amynjake and possibly her entire feedback list.

If they're doing what I suspect, they're 'seeding' the ebay account(s). That is flogging relatively cheap stuff, mostly amongst themselves, to artificially build good feedback.

Just so we all understand...

...I shoot the fookers online but I do need something to support my shooting.

Scammers often steal someone else's identity and it would be bad if I shot someone on the basis of a post somewhere else.

Please ensure you can support any allegations :)

Back