[Wanted] Media Player

Captin

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My PS3 is on it's way out and rather than waiting for it to die fully I've decided to replace the main function we use it for, and that is playing media. This way I'll still be able to keep the PS3 to play blu-ray's and the odd game, plus it's on cfw 3.55 which I'm not likely to find in a new one.

I need a media playing box that is network connected, doesn't need a hard drive or USB ports but needs to work with PS3mediaserver, IE DNLA capable. Also needs ether digital coaxial or optical surround out, as well as HDMI and 1080p full HD.

Also needs to be as cheap as possible, at least cheaper than a replacement PS3.

I'm quite capable of googling but what I'm really asking for is peoples experiences. Finding one for sale on amazon is not the same as asking someone who has one for their reviews, but any info would be good also.

I'm not averse to buying used items, but prefer not to use ebay as most things are a rip off.

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Last edited:
i have a v bridge media player for sale m8 if ur intrested
HOST: CPU MIPS 400Mhz CPU
• Flash memory: 16MB
• SDRAM: DDR2 128MB
• Video codec:
- MPEG1
- MPEG-2 up to 1080p
- MPEG-4 (720P/1080i/1080p), Xvid
- H.264 up to 1080p
- WMV9/VC-1 up to 1080p
- RealNetworks(RM/RMVB)8/9/10 up to 1920*720(720P)
- Flash Video
• Audio codec:
- MPEG-1 Layers I,II and III and MPEG-2
- LPCM,ADPCM, FLAC, AAC, WAV and OGG Vorbis
- DTS HD Master Audio, LBR
- RA1/RA-cook/RA-lossless WMA/WMA Pro
• Photo: HD JPEG,BMP,TIFF,PNG,DNG
• Video/Audio output:
- Video YPBPR / HDMI out
- Audio RCA stereo out(L/R)
- S/PDIF
• 1 x HDMI port to connect to your HD TV
• 1 x RJ45 connector for connecting to your home wired ethernet network
• 1 x USB 2.0 port for connecting your USB drive that contains your films
• Power supply: UK plug, AC 100~240V / 50~60Hz, DC12V, 2A
• Dimension: 210 x 170 x 32mm
• Weight: 315g
£25 including postage

Is it this one? - Vbridge

If so then it's no good for me as I need one that supports DNLA. But thanks anyway.

In then end I went for the Noontec V8. What a cracking piece of kit. Plays everything I've tried even blu-ray and DVD ISO files or vob folder, with full menu's. Just share a folder on my pc and it's away. it also works with ps3mediaserver but I don't need to use that any more.

Everything plays super smooth with or without subtitles and selectable multi audio. I can finally use my 7.1 surround system as the PS3 only gave 5.1 when using DNLA. Plays everything from lowly AVI to full 50gb M2TS blu-ray files.

It's also a fully fuctioning NAS box with downloading and FTP functions. It will take upto a 3tb hard drive inside.

At £95 it's comparible to the WD TV Live or the Asus HDP-R1 but with much more functionality. It also turns a non 3D tv into a 3D tv but you have to use them daft red & blue glasses to play 3d content.

Noontec V8 NAS 1080p USB3 7.1 Dolby VoD nTV MKV- microdirect.co.uk

Last edited:
Sounds like a really decent bit of kit, will take a look at this.
Thanks for sharing the link.

Can you surf the tinternet, youtube and watch bbc iplayer, etc on your tv with it?
In then end I went for the Noontec V8. What a cracking piece of kit. Plays everything I've tried even blu-ray and DVD ISO files or vob folder, with full menu's. Just share a folder on my pc and it's away. it also works with ps3mediaserver but I don't need to use that any more.

Everything plays super smooth with or without subtitles and selectable multi audio. I can finally use my 7.1 surround system as the PS3 only gave 5.1 when using DNLA. Plays everything from lowly AVI to full 50gb M2TS blu-ray files.

It's also a fully fuctioning NAS box with downloading and FTP functions. It will take upto a 3tb hard drive inside.

At £95 it's comparible to the WD TV Live or the Asus HDP-R1 but with much more functionality. It also turns a non 3D tv into a 3D tv but you have to use them daft red & blue glasses to play 3d content.

Noontec V8 NAS 1080p USB3 7.1 Dolby VoD nTV MKV- microdirect.co.uk

Can you surf the tinternet, youtube and watch bbc iplayer, etc on your tv with it?

Nope, but to be honest I wouldn't want to surf with it. It does have youtube and some internet tv channels as well a crap load of internet radio:)

Back